Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on shortlist

Options
  • 01-07-2021 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'll try keep it brief. In the market for a new to me motor and looking to shortlist some options. Hoping to get something 2018+.
    Looking for something with a bit if space for a kid and all the baggage that goes with it. Comfort, decent interior and decent styling ideally. Reliability with a bit of poke. Looks like I want it all put like that :)

Budget approx. 25kish
    Options so far seem to be within the SUV market (coming from a Passat and fancy a change anyway)

3008 catches my eye as some other SUVs seem to lack on the interior.
    Kodiaq seems out if my price range but Karoq could be pushed for maybe.

5 series or A6 I'd prob have to go a year older - also think it's difficult to find one in good condition. Could move for a nice VRS perhaps. Or ofc a Passat.

What's the thoughts on 3008 Vs Karoq? Are there any other options I should look at? Should I revisit and look closer at some other saloons?

So, have at it folks, any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think you need to reexamine your criteria for choosing a car as the cars you list there are from all ends of the spectrum and the common factor is that they are all within budget. Figure out your wants and needs from a car first would be my advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

BamesJond wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'll try keep it brief. In the market for a new to me motor and looking to shortlist some options. Hoping to get something 2018+.
    Looking for something with a bit if space for a kid and all the baggage that goes with it. Comfort, decent interior and decent styling ideally. Reliability with a bit of poke. Looks like I want it all put like that :)

Budget approx. 25kish
    Options so far seem to be within the SUV market (coming from a Passat and fancy a change anyway)

3008 catches my eye as some other SUVs seem to lack on the interior.
    Kodiaq seems out if my price range but Karoq could be pushed for maybe.

5 series or A6 I'd prob have to go a year older - also think it's difficult to find one in good condition. Could move for a nice VRS perhaps. Or ofc a Passat.

What's the thoughts on 3008 Vs Karoq? Are there any other options I should look at? Should I revisit and look closer at some other saloons?

So, have at it folks, any other suggestions?

Superb Sportline

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think you need to reexamine your criteria for choosing a car as the cars you list there are from all ends of the spectrum and the common factor is that they are all within budget. Figure out your wants and needs from a car first would be my advise.

Well I've pretty much stated my wants and needs, and spectrum I've narrowed in on is SUV or large saloon. So looking for advice on a few that I've noticed from each class or asking if there something else I could be looking at. I don't think I've been broad here tbh, thanks for the reply all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well you started off mentioning a Kodiaq, a 3008 and a Karoq. Then an A6, 5 Series to an Octavia RS or Passat. That's pretty broad in my book and all will have different pros and cons to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Back to your question OP.

If family is the priority then it is hard to argue with the practicality of a SUV over a saloon. More flexible interiors, easier in and out and so on. 5 series saloon doesn't even have a folding rear seat as standard. An A6 or 5 series estate would be a far better bet but are heading out of your budget.

The 3008 is a breath of fresh air and if you can live with it's few quirks (eg. touchscreen climate controls) then would be my choice over the rather dull (but imminently sensible) Skoda offerings.

A few test drives should crystallise things very quickly for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

Back to your question OP.

If family is the priority then it is hard to argue with the practicality of a SUV over a saloon. More flexible interiors, easier in and out and so on. 5 series saloon doesn't even have a folding rear seat as standard. An A6 or 5 series estate would be a far better bet but are heading out of your budget.

The 3008 is a breath of fresh air and if you can live with it's few quirks (eg. touchscreen climate controls) then would be my choice over the rather dull (but imminently sensible) Skoda offerings.

A few test drives should crystallise things very quickly for you.

Great feedback, much appreciated. Leaning towards the likes of SUV anyway so it's good to know the practicality is there.
    The 3008 caught my eye as the interior does seem a step above others I've seen in that class.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

BamesJond wrote: »
    Great feedback, much appreciated. Leaning towards the likes of SUV anyway so it's good to know the practicality is there.
    The 3008 caught my eye as the interior does seem a step above others I've seen in that class.

Don't be fooled with concept of "Suv is bigger and has more room". They are higher, yes, but as for actual usable room inside it's debatable. Going Suv or crossover you will suffer in ride quality and handling departments too.

We clearly don't know your exact needs and how much space you need, bur already mentioned Skoda Superb would tick all the boxes. It's comfortable, big, great usability and boot space. If you can get 2.0 diesel dsg, then you laughing all together.
    Something like Skoda VRS estate would be great option too. It would be still fun to drive with a bit extra power for yourself, but you will have all the perks and benefits of estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just love the new Volvo V60. They have lots of space and lovely interiors. Only just about coming into your budget. New model was launched in 2019. I agree that the saloon vs suv choice is strange. Estates are always worth considering.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volvo/v60/used-2019-191-volvo-v60-momentum-d3-f-dublin-fpa-202106143821645

Advertisement