Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

soil test

Options
  • 29-11-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

In this soil test does it need 15tonne of lime per hectares

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Hi teddy,
    There's nothing attached to your post above!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teddy 1223

I couldn't manage to attach the page. But it said it needs 15 tonne of lime per ha, this land never got lime and it's also index 1 for p & k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I think you have to have 40 posts before you can add on attachments or photo's.
    Either go on After Hours and complain about the Brits or go and do the word games in puzzles and quizzes;)
    Or.... maybe you could type out as much as you can of the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Apple lime yearly at a rate of 2 tonne/ acre. It will take time to bring it up. With weather being dry could do it this week if ground your way is up to it

teddy 1223 wrote: »
    I couldn't manage to attach the page. But it said it needs 15 tonne of lime per ha, this land never got lime and it's also index 1 for p & k

Sounds like hungry ground. Does it say anything about molybdenum in the soil?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Yep its Hungry ground but you will not be able to spread that much lime in one go or in one year.
    Best divide up the applications over the 1st 3rd and 5th years then redo the soil test the following year to see how you are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Teagasc say 3tonne/acre is the max for lime application.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Mooooo wrote:
    Apple lime yearly at a rate of 2 tonne/ acre. It will take time to bring it up. With weather being dry could do it this week if ground your way is up to it

Yeah I'll get 2 tonne an acre out at the end of the week.

pedigree 6 wrote:

It's hungry ground alright. No it doesn't say anything about molybdenum ( what is that by the way). This land wasn't really farmed the last few years

It's hungry ground alright. No it doesn't say anything about molybdenum ( what is that by the way). This land wasn't really farmed the last few years

I bet it does say something about Molybdenum.
    If you have high MO you can't increase the soil ph beyond 6.2.
    It should give a number how much MO is in the soil and whether that's high or low.
    If it's low you can spread the 15t, if high maybe 10t.

Going by what you're saying, spread the 3t for a start anyway. You could even go to 3.5 if you want.

Then you have to worry about the P and K requirements.

Actually what are you going to graze this with? I presume it's grazing ground.
    You probably would be better going for the full plough and reseed if you're serious about it than bother with a field of scutch.

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote:
    I bet it does say something about Molybdenum. If you have high MO you can't increase the soil ph beyond 6.2. It should give a number how much MO is in the soil and whether that's high or low. If it's low you can spread the 15t, if high maybe 10t.

This is what the sample shows, pH: *water 4.9 *buffer 5.50
    Lime required: 15.00 tonne/ha
    Soil P: * (mg/l) 1.4
    Index 1
    Soil K: * ( mg/l) 54
    Index 1

The last few year's there was 1 cut of silage off it each year. This obviously took all the nutrients out of the land, it wouldn't of got much fertiliser

This is what the sample shows, pH: *water 4.9 *buffer 5.50
    Lime required: 15.00 tonne/ha
    Soil P: * (mg/l) 1.4
    Index 1
    Soil K: * ( mg/l) 54
    Index 1
    Fair enough. It needs 15 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

hi all i did soil test on 3 small fields , they havent got lime in 20+years. there showing 5.3 and 2 of 5.4 for PH Buffer.
    However I am good Phosphorus for them all showing 4 index. Potassium has one field 4 , the next 3 and the next 2.

Any ideas what sort of tell tale signs that shows of my land in those fields?
    why so high in phosphorus? those fields never get slurry.

What is a potassium source ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Muriate of potash, 50%k, but don't apply it to grazing ground in early spring as cows wlll get grass tetany from Mg deficiency.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hi all i did soil test on 3 small fields , they havent got lime in 20+years. there showing 5.3 and 2 of 5.4 for PH Buffer.
    However I am good Phosphorus for them all showing 4 index. Potassium has one field 4 , the next 3 and the next 2.

Any ideas what sort of tell tale signs that shows of my land in those fields?
    why so high in phosphorus? those fields never get slurry.

What is a potassium source ?

Where did you get it tested?

oldcastle lab , ill put up the report

oldcastle lab , ill put up the report

I thought it might be. Waste of time getting tested there. I'm testing fairly regularly and the results back from there made no sense, no consistency between years. Couldn't understand what was happening.

Anyway took 10 samples, but took double the amount for each sample, broke the cores up and divided the samples, sent 10 to teagasc and 10 to Oldcastle. Completely different results, the teagasc results were right, Oldcastle were pure muck.

Ignore the very high reading for P, if it is not what was expected, ideally get tested again elsewhere.

Christ, thats disastrous when you go to the trouble of getting soil tests done. can you recommend any other places that do soil test? should i just give to teagasc advisor? i presume i need at least 2 ton lime to acre anyway, im sure they could get the ph right at least, those fields havent got lime in 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

Christ, thats disastrous when you go to the trouble of getting soil tests done. can you recommend any other places that do soil test? should i just give to teagasc advisor? i presume i need at least 2 ton lime to acre anyway, im sure they could get the ph right at least, those fields havent got lime in 20 years

Call the lab and tell them the background info. They might do a re-test or find an error.

• Advertisement

I find Teagasc good, but expensive. I think you're safe enough with the 2 ton of lime. I found the pH was slightly off, they said it needed more lime than it actually did, but the P was seriously wrong, testing index 4, when it was index 1 and 2. Soil tests are such a small cost in relation to the cost of fertilizer, that its worth having them done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

sandman30 wrote: »
    I find Teagasc good, but expensive. I think you're safe enough with the 2 ton of lime. I found the pH was slightly off, they said it needed more lime than it actually did, but the P was seriously wrong, testing index 4, when it was index 1 and 2. Soil tests are such a small cost in relation to the cost of fertilizer, that its worth having them done right.

It is important to do them at the correct time too.

yeah im snookered a bit now because i have fertiliser applied in the last few weeks so it will throw it off. i will go and get lime out anyway. i put lime on a field 2 years ago and can keep grass down with sheep and lambs in march and april on it, drove grass out of it with no fertiliser, i will soil test that field now this week before slurry as it got silage off last week and see is there a jump in ph, i will send this one to teagasc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was chatting to some guys at an organic farm walk last week in kerry.
    They recommended this guy for full soil tests. https://apsbioag.ie/

Can you show the results sheet?

Was chatting to some guys at an organic farm walk last week in kerry.
    They recommended this guy for full soil tests. https://apsbioag.ie/

They seem to sell fertilizer as well as doing the tests, personally don't think that's a good idea. Prefer if the lab is completely independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They seem to sell fertilizer as well as doing the tests, personally don't think that's a good idea. Prefer if the lab is completely independent.

From what I gather Leslie does a full soil test, testing for whats actually in the soil.

From what I gather Leslie does a full soil test, testing for whats actually in the soil.

Are agri soil tests just for P, K and pH usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

einn32 wrote: »
    Are agri soil tests just for P, K and pH usually?

Yes, and only test what's water solouble/ leachable, not for the total elements of the soil.

Leslie is straight and won't damage your land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I thought it might be. Waste of time getting tested there. I'm testing fairly regularly and the results back from there made no sense, no consistency between years. Couldn't understand what was happening.

Anyway took 10 samples, but took double the amount for each sample, broke the cores up and divided the samples, sent 10 to teagasc and 10 to Oldcastle. Completely different results, the teagasc results were right, Oldcastle were pure muck.

Ignore the very high reading for P, if it is not what was expected, ideally get tested again elsewhere.

Did you ask them to explain the difference in results? I wonder is their methodology different and if there's something to be learnt from them.
    There can be high levels of non water soluble but biologically available P and K in soils that a Morgan's test won't show.

They might be some chancers too of course!

Advertisement