Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I switch to a diesel? (Megane/Laguna)

Options
  • 01-07-2021 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Possibly a silly question(s), I dunno...
    I have always driven petrol cars. Current car is a 18 year old 1.0l Nissan Micra which as served me quite well for the last 5 years and was fine for Dublin driving but any major repair now would be uneconomical, plus it would be nice to up the comfort level on a long journey.

I recently moved to Co. Roscommon (loving it!) and generally at the moment my typical driving now would be just a 5km drive to the local town and back 1 or 2 times per week, and then a drive to Dublin every 3 weeks or so, about 170km trip.
    So trip wise it looks like this over 3 weeks.
    5km
    5km
    5km
    5km
    5km
    5km
    170km

Had never heard about DPF until this week.
    Q1. So would this type of driving be suitable for a diesel car?

Q2. Was thinking of upgrading to a 1.5 diesel Renault Megane or Laguna circa 2008,2009.2010,2011 (budget from 1k up to 2.5k). Any thoughts on these, what to look out for , be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think a trip to Dublin once every 3 weeks warrants a diesel car. Within your budget you are going to be looking at the high probability of fairly tired diesel cars with alot of miles on them that are more complicated and expensive to fix when they go wrong. I'd look at the likes of a Kia Ceed, Hyundai i30, Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic petrol. Less likely to break on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭GusGus

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think a trip to Dublin once every 3 weeks warrants a diesel car. Within your budget you are going to be looking at the high probability of fairly tired diesel cars with alot of miles on them that are more complicated and expensive to fix when they go wrong. I'd look at the likes of a Kia Ceed, Hyundai i30, Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic petrol. Less likely to break on you.

Agree that diesel is not the answer here . Petrol is fine . Don’t agree with your anti Renault bias - you recommend Asian cars only . A lot of what you recommend from this era is very boring and also uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

GusGus wrote: »
    Agree that diesel is not the answer here . Petrol is fine . Don’t agree with your anti Renault bias - you recommend Asian cars only . A lot of what you recommend from this era is very boring and also uncomfortable.

If you check some of my post history you will see that I'm anything but anti Renault bias. The reality is that there are little or no petrol Megane or Lagunas of the vintage out there especially in the OP's budget. Also the OP has a small budget of 1k to 2.5k and looking at Megans and Lagunas so I'd doubt they are less boring than what I suggested, plus Asian reliability is probably more important with such a limited budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 str8y

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought.

Just had a look at a few of the examples above.
    570 tax on the 1.4 Toyota Corollas though?!?

Also, just to clarify the milage in the original post is the minimum amount of driving that would be done. Most likely there would be a lot more than that in the future. Was concerned about messing up the DPF.

I had 3 different petrol Renault 19's back in the 90's, early 00's. Always remembered them to be a comfortable car. (I've had some back problems lately), hence why I asked about the Renaults (and diesels, as good mpg is a factor in buying also).

NCT not due on the 03 Micra for another 4 months so plenty of time for more research.

Advertisement