Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Circke K miles plus fuel discount

• 01-07-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I've made a duplicate thread, I run my car on miles plus only and was pleasantly surprised to learn of an offer where you get the miles plus fuel at the regular fuel price. You get a card with a qr code and scan when paying. Was told it's a promotion to get more customers using miles plus. The offer ends in August and only where the station offers miles plus at the pumps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you notice any performance or mpg difference with the Miles Plus? Never used it myself but have seen it at the pumps, usually about a 10c a litre difference if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have been using it for well over a year now.
    Compared to Applegreen standard I fnd it much better.
    Was stuck last week and put €40 Applegreen in. Couldnt believe how quickly I burnt through it. No figures to back it up but the same journey on the same roads dropping my son to work.

The card with the qr code is like an old scratch card.
    Just hand it in when paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How did you get the card originally OP?
    Had you just bought regular fuel?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭larrykinney

odyssey06 wrote: »
    How did you get the card originally OP?
    Had you just bought regular fuel?

No, you have to buy the miles plus stuff, then you get a voucher to get it for the same price as regular next time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Haven't come across this at all yet. I use Miles Plus alot. I might ask them about this next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OmegaGene wrote: »
    So it’s just a one time voucher then ? I’ve had these a few times
    I thought it was a card to use every time we fill

I signed up with a trade Union group scheme (I’m not a member and it’s free) and save 3c a litre on every fill, it’s not much but helps a bit

https://forsa.groupscheme.com/discounts/search/Circle%20k

I get. 4c off per litre with the same site but a different company

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

On registration page now.

Employer name required
    Employer number required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

koutoubia wrote: »
    I have been using it for well over a year now.
    Compared to Applegreen standard I fnd it much better.
    Was stuck last week and put €40 Applegreen in. Couldnt believe how quickly I burnt through it. No figures to back it up but the same journey on the same roads dropping my son to work.

The card with the qr code is like an old scratch card.
    Just hand it in when paying.

Yep with a 2l turbo petrol theres nearly a 50% difference in k plus to applegreen in mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Circle K wish to thank you profusely for adding greatly to their profits and lapping up their marketing guff.

Fuel additives make very little difference to performance and even in laboratory tests with perfect conditions they get about 3.5% improvement.

Same laboratory tests will tell you that you will get 68mpg from a BMW 5series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Yep with a 2l turbo petrol theres nearly a 50% difference in k plus to applegreen in mpg

You do know that all fuel is the same. In many cases from the same storage tanks (applegreen and circle K have some joint facilities in Dublin port) and the only difference is an additive put in that makes very little difference - even if you believe their marketing guff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I got the card in my local shop as I'm a regular customer, just ask in store if you're at a station that sells miles plus. Have a loyalty card too

Do you notice any performance or mpg difference with the Miles Plus? Never used it myself but have seen it at the pumps, usually about a 10c a litre difference if I recall.

To me there is a very noticeable difference when I fill up elsewhere (I fill at the same station local to me) as in the car is noticeably down on power if filled at another station. I couldn't tell you about economy as I've never done a proper run in the car and it isn't the most economical at best. I'll be running the Z on it when it's eventually back on the road

I must fill up the van someday with miles plus and test it's economy out over the tank. I normally get between 700-800kms per tank (Nissan NV200)
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    So it’s just a one time voucher then ? I’ve had these a few times
    I thought it was a card to use every time we fill

You can use the same card again and again until the promotion ends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

corkgsxr wrote: »

50%? so if you get 30mpg with Applegreen you get 45mpg with the miles plus?

Either you're taking the piss or you're deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭CoBo55

And, we're off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

This is the little voucher gives you €0.08 off every liter milesPLUS. Just ask shop staff it's behind the counter.

Valid until 11/09/2021, not valid with any other fuel card.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Darc19 wrote: »
    Circle K wish to thank you profusely for adding greatly to their profits and lapping up their marketing guff.

Fuel additives make very little difference to performance and even in laboratory tests with perfect conditions they get about 3.5% improvement.

Same laboratory tests will tell you that you will get 68mpg from a BMW 5series.

This.

It’s as close to a scam as it gets to be honest. Fair play to Circle K etc for making people lap it up.

Why all petrol wouldn’t just be that price (and not sell the ‘basic’ petrol I do not know if it’s so good - probably because it’s basically the same stuff but at a higher cost they are delighted to make some people fall for it.

They tried it years ago too and gave up on it (I think Esso in particular tried it)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

callaway92 wrote: »
    This.

It’s as close to a scam as it gets to be honest. Fair play to Circle K etc for making people lap it up.

Why all petrol wouldn’t just be that price (and not sell the ‘basic’ petrol I do not know if it’s so good - probably because it’s basically the same stuff but at a higher cost they are delighted to make some people fall for it.

They tried it years ago too and gave up on it (I think Esso in particular tried it)

Save 3.5% pay more than 3.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got the card in my local shop as I'm a regular customer, just ask in store if you're at a station that sells miles plus. Have a loyalty card too

To me there is a very noticeable difference when I fill up elsewhere (I fill at the same station local to me) as in the car is noticeably down on power if filled at another station. I couldn't tell you about economy as I've never done a proper run in the car and it isn't the most economical at best. I'll be running the Z on it when it's eventually back on the road

I must fill up the van someday with miles plus and test it's economy out over the tank. I normally get between 700-800kms per tank (Nissan NV200)

You can use the same card again and again until the promotion ends
    The mpg and performance claims for the miles plus are based around cleaning your engine and restoring lost power and efficiency.
    Fans will also say you need to buy a few tanks before you see a benefit.
    On that basis, changing to regular diesel shouldn’t have a noticeable effect straight away.

I buy it the odd time when it’s on offer, but it’s snake oil IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ted1 wrote: »
    Save 3.5% pay more than 3.5%

Haha yeh it’s a joke

Advertisement