Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What car to buy? Advice needed

• 30-06-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi all :)

I'm looking to buy a replacement car. I previously drove a Nissan Micra 1.1L.

I'm looking for either a 1.2L/1.4L, petrol, hatchback. Something that isn't too big that won't overwhelm me or cost me a fortune to maintain/repair.

I've been looking at ads for ford fiestas, fiat 500/l, toyota yaris etc. but I'm struggling to narrow it down.

Budget is about 11k - not overly picky on the year as long as it's maybe post 2014. Ideally reasonable mileage - I'd up my budget a little if necessary here.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I can share ads I've been looking at if that's allowed.

I feel I got lucky with my first car so would appreciate some guidance!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yep share your ads. Your budget is plenty to get pretty much anything post 2014 in the small hatch market, except for maybe a good vw golf

Depending on size of car you want 'd be looking at, to start

Ford Fiesta and focus
    Peugeot 208 and 308
    Hyundai i20 and i30
    Toyota yaris, auris
    Seat Ibiza and Leon
    Renault Clio and megane

Good options there, 12 models, there are more available of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Yaris Hybrid or a Clio would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-ignis-dualjet-sz3-5dr/27339679

That
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-ignis-dualjet-sz-t-5dr/28319669

or the other
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2019-suzuki-ignis-sz-t-dualjet-1-2/28395378

Have my Ignis three years now, perfectly happy, great car.
    Cheap to run, very good on petrol, practical and fun to drive.
    Having said that, the first one is very low spec, I'd go for a SZ-T model at least

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Would you not buy that car in a 2010 bagernomic and save the guts of ten grand ?

• Advertisement

Murph85 wrote: »
    Would you not buy that car in a 2010 bagernomic and save the guts of ten grand ?

Not really looking for something that might end up being a headache to be honest. That's why I'm sticking to (relatively) new cars :)

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Not really looking for something that might end up being a headache to be honest. That's why I'm sticking to (relatively) new cars :)

I like that Clio. It's very much a base model but it has tiny mileage and is a lovely looking car, nice colour.

Theres better specced ones out there including an infotainment screen (but not entirely sure if it was available back in 2015 but defo was shortly afterwards)

More substantial than the likes of a fiat 500, they are quirky and cute but they are so small inside.

I'd start looking at more Clios to compare. If I was in market for car like that I'd be all over Clio.

I'll try find a link to nice one for you. What part of the country are you in?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/151-renault-clio-dynamique-nav-1-2-petrol/28545966

This one much higher spec/trim level. Has alloy wheels, infotainment system which lifts the interior a lot. Same lovely exterior colour. Has 40000kms instead of 20000 but that's still very low. And its a good bit cheaper that the one you linked.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I like that Clio. It's very much a base model but it has tiny mileage and is a lovely looking car, nice colour.

Theres better specced ones out there including an infotainment screen (but not entirely sure if it was available back in 2015 but defo was shortly afterwards)

More substantial than the likes of a fiat 500, they are quirky and cute but they are so small inside.

I'd start looking at more Clios to compare. If I was in market for car like that I'd be all over Clio.

I'll try find a link to nice one for you. What part of the country are you in?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/151-renault-clio-dynamique-nav-1-2-petrol/28545966

This one much higher spec/trim level. Has alloy wheels, infotainment system which lifts the interior a lot. Same lovely exterior colour. Has 40000kms instead of 20000 but that's still very low. And its a good bit cheaper that the one you linked.

Would you believe I was actually just looking at that dealer's stock as I was logging into boards? :pac:

I was leaning towards a car with a little more power. With the Micra I found it took forever to get going - you really have to drive it if that makes sense.

Would it be the same with the Clios?

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Would you believe I was actually just looking at that dealer's stock as I was logging into boards? :pac:

I was leaning towards a car with a little more power. With the Micra I found it took forever to get going - you really have to drive it if that makes sense.

Would it be the same with the Clios?

There wouldn't be a huge amount of power in them if you wanted to get up to decent speeds quickly. They're quite low powered. There's 1.5 diesel Clio available which would have more power. But it depends on where and how you drive it whether a diesel makes sense.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    There wouldn't be a huge amount of power in them if you wanted to get up to decent speeds quickly. They're quite low powered. There's 1.5 diesel Clio available which would have more power. But it depends on where and how you drive it whether a diesel makes sense.

I guess most of my driving would be within Dublin, however, I would be on the motorway quite a bit too. Either M4 (once a week for maybe a 20 min stretch) or M7 (every two weeks for 2hrs one way).

So I can see where a diesel would be useful but I'm not sure if I'd be taking full advantage of the extra power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy a golf GTi or seat Cupra.....

Seriously life is too short to be buying slow horrid yokes

Can someone explain the difference here? Is it purely down to a difference in specs? The 2nd ad kind of sets off an alarm bell.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/fiat/500/fpa/202106153863004?journey=Search

https://www.byrnemotorcompany.ie/car-details/?2830573

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

1. Higher spec, lower mileage, main dealer

2. Lower spec, higher mileage, independent dealer

Also the lower priced one might be priced to sell and the higher priced one might have lots of room for negotiation

If you think it’s suspiciously cheap then do a history check, might reveal something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Buy a golf GTi or seat Cupra.....

Seriously life is too short to be buying slow horrid yokes

Cupra won't like you calling it a Seat Cupra!!! Even though it's just a parts bin special from Seat VW Audi...

Get a Peugeot RCZ :D

Has anyone mentioned a Civic?

Advertisement