Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

I can see that steddyeddy has replied to my post but have the post hidden as he/she is in my ignore list. If someone could confirm that he/she has replied in the usual "steddyeddy way" by
    • not replying to everything in the post
    • implying that I am a bad scientist while also saying that I use ad hominims
    • not apologising for not responding to my last post
    • not acknowledging that the other side were objectively correct about something
    • not trying to debunk something at the 16th time of asking

If not, I shall gladly donate €20 to any suggested UFO group so that we can finally find out the truth™.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I can see that steddyeddy has replied to my post but have the post hidden as he/she is in my ignore list. If someone could confirm that he/she has replied in the usual "steddyeddy way" by
    • not replying to everything in the post
    • implying that I am a bad scientist while also saying that I use ad hominims
    • not apologising for not responding to my last post
    • not acknowledging that the other side were objectively correct about something
    • not trying to debunk something at the 16th time of asking

If not, I shall gladly donate €20 to any suggested UFO group so that we can finally find out the truth™.

Dude you sound young but I suspect your attitude is turning off people in science.

You're an astrophysicist who is literally now saying "if SteddyEddy is talking to me could you tell him I'm not speaking to him please".....

I decided to unignore you for curiosity and wow, it's worse than I thought. Yep, your post ticked all the boxes and then some.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    I would suggest you take the emotion out of your posts as you seem unable to have a scientific debate without resorting to ad hominins or arguments from authority.

Amazing! Please tell me that that is a serious comment because that would be beautiful. A scientific debate?! I've asked you about 20 times to have a scientific debate, and you have refused to each time by constantly ignoring or deflecting. I have made plenty of comments related to science in my discussion with lintdrummer and you have not once commented on them.

Watch. Watch happens when I ask you this yes/no question. Watch how you ignore or deflect from answering it in your reply.

Is that one video I posted from Mike correct or incorrect?
    You have asserted that Mick West has "debunked" the naval encounters yet multiple fighter pilots, radar operators and even NASA astrophysicists have stated that he is misinterpreting the data. Despite this you take it as gospel. You also completely misinterpret the report.

I believe I only referenced Mike in response to the acceleration of the object. Would you like to link to my post where I have said this? Or are you, quite surprisingly, making this up?
    Finally. it is not exactly the hallmark of a good scientist to ignore those who disagree with them.

Oh wow, another zinger! I really really hope, for the sake of improvements in biology, that you are at least self aware enough to know that you doing exactly this with Mike. You, by your own definition of what a good scientist is, are admitting to being a bad scientist. Fascinating.
    Dude you sound young but I suspect your attitude is turning off people in science.

I'm actually highly acclaimed in my field, thank you for asking. Would you like to tell us what your education and career is since you seem to think that you being a scientist is significant?

When you are talking to what is seemingly a brick wall, such attitudes can be justified. Especially when said brick wall says that I'm using ad hominems while also personally attacking me in every reply.

And since you are so interested in having a scientific debate, would you like to go back and respond to the scientific points I have made with lintdrummer? No rush.

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah releasing that kind of rubbish really doesn't help his own credibility or the positive promotion of the UAP topic. As you said, it only gives the hard core debunkers / anti believers like West more ammo.

Mick West is a conspiracy theorist. There's a good article written about him for an American political publication called the Hill. It details the fact that Mick's belief that these 143 unexplained encounters are all misinterpretations of mundane objects are necessitating him believing in conspiracy theories.

The last few paragraphs are very telling about Mick's personality. He doesn't believe there's anything unexplained to see here so he attacks the essence of the report, citing it as being compiled by amateur with little analysis undertaken. The remit of the bill was to include analysis of all data that the report analysed. When that is pointed out to him he prefers to believe his own reality.
    The world's most passionate UFO skeptic versus the government

Mick West is a man on a mission. Amid surging interest in UFOs, West is determined – perhaps more than anyone else on earth – to prove that alien craft are not zipping around our skies. A retired video game programmer who now spends his time diving into mind-numbing technical details of UFO sightings, Mick believes that all the hype is nothing more than a “flap.”

West’s skepticism aside, the U.S. government is convinced that unidentified objects are moving through the air and water in ways that “we don’t have the technology for.” Taken to its logical conclusion, this revelation will ultimately result in one of three outcomes. Any way you slice it, this may be the most significant national security story in at least a generation.

If skeptics like West are correct, the government is guilty of an enormous failure of analysis. Indeed, mistaking mundane factors (such as balloons, drones, equipment malfunctions or optical illusions) for highly advanced craft would make for a shocking analytic misfire by the intelligence community.

In an e-mail exchange, I quizzed Mick about Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and former CIA director John Brennan’s recent speculation about extraterrestrial life.

In my message to Mick, I noted that it is highly unlikely that former presidents – who still receive the intelligence community’s most robust analyses – would muse so openly about aliens simply on a whim. Surely, they asked what the government makes of these phenomena before speculating about otherworldly life.

In his response, which Mick gave me permission to share for this column, West dismisses Obama, Clinton and Brennan’s comments as “low information cryptic statements from non-experts.” More importantly, Mick suspects that such extraordinary theorizing is based on flawed analysis.

Mick argues that a highly anticipated government report on UFOs had “no real funding” and “will probably rely on work previously done” by a small Pentagon unit with a “pro-alien bias.” At best, Mick believes, the government is “competently collating” a series of odd encounters without conducting any robust analytic work.

Playing devil’s advocate, I suggest that congressional requirements for the forthcoming report all but demand input from a broad range of experts. Moreover, with the government now forced to come clean on UFOs, surging public (let alone presidential) interest begs for a robust assessment. To that end, the director of national intelligence must have assigned analysts, program directors, scientists and experts from across government and the private sector to complete the report.

Mick does not bite. He sticks to his guns, believing that the report is based on “gullible” “second-hand” analysis and conclusions “that [have] not gone into much depth.” According to Mick, the final product will amount to little more than “a bunch of accounts of unusual encounters that are difficult to explain.” If West is correct, the director of national intelligence largely ignored a congressional requirement that the report include a “detailed analysis” of these phenomena.

I decided to unignore you for curiosity

Great. I'll be cutting out all of the personal attacks and arguments from authority and am willing to engage purely in a scientific debate.

Can we start with you explaining the position you're coming from in this regard and what general hypothesis you would like to debate.

My position is that there are indications that there is new technology being encountered by military officials. My position on the human element here is that there are people with access to more data than we do who are convinced of the position I have laid out in the first sentence. The report and the preceding and subsequent statements by former presidents (Also briefed on security issues), employees and heads of the intelligence services, military officials and NASA officials lends supports that they think that a different form of technology is at play here than has been seen before.

I have no idea or speculation as to what the pilots are.

• Advertisement

It details the fact that Mick's belief that these 143 unexplained encounters are all misinterpretations of mundane objects are necessitating him believing in conspiracy theories.

Holy ****, my whole physics department is full of conspiracy theorists. What should we do about it?

Great. I'll be cutting out all of the personal attacks and arguments from authority and am willing to engage purely in a scientific debate.

Can we start with you explaining the position you're coming from in this regard and what general hypothesis you would like to debate.

My position is that there are indications that there is new technology being encountered by military officials. My position on the human element here is that there are people with access to more data than we do who are convinced of the position I have laid out in the first sentence. The report and the preceding and subsequent statements by former presidents (Also briefed on security issues), employees and heads of the intelligence services, military officials and NASA officials lends supports that they think that a different form of technology is at play here than has been seen before.

I have no idea or speculation as to what the pilots are.

If you want to have an adult conversation, answer the question I asked you in bold because I have asked you it about 20 times. If you ignore it again, you are further demonstrating that you no interest in finding that you might be wrong, i.e. that you have confirmation bias.

Edit: And you've gone silent again, self-admitting that you're a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

If you want to have an adult conversation, answer the question I asked you in bold because I have asked you it about 20 times. If you ignore it again, you are further demonstrating that you no interest in finding that you might be wrong, i.e. that you have confirmation bias.

is that the video that's already been debunked but you don't accept the debunker because he's a pilot? Surely thats showing your own confirmation bias? thats the last bit in bold I can find. Couldnt actually find the video itself

maccored wrote: »
    is that the video that's already been debunked but you don't accept the debunker because he's a pilot? Surely thats showing your own confirmation bias? thats the last bit in bold I can find. Couldnt actually find the video itself

No, it's a different video. Give me one second to find it.

Edit: This video. steddyeddy has stated on multiple occasions that this video has been debunked by navy pilots. Do you agree with that and if so, would you like to explain how considering steddyeddy seems so sure of it and yet can't explain it?

And since posting that video, steddyeddy seems to have focused in on that guy as if he's my hero even though I had never heard of him before posting that video and I never mentioned anything else he said or did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    And once again the Pentagon will confirm this video tomorrow like the other Corbell videos. What game are they playing, like why is Corbell the chosen one? Why not someone more credible? A variety of more credible journalists? It's like it's put out via him so it can be still dismissable. I just don't know.

Yeah, or like that guy from Blink 182??
    Is there some weird game going on or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What do people here make of the 2016 Pentyrch (Wales) UFO case?

Jay (Project Unity) got an interview with the witness, Caz.

A couple of things that I noted is that Caz had posted on Facebook about Steven Greer a few weeks before the incident, but fair enough I guess, lots of people are interested in these things. She also had no photos of the craft she described too.

Enough to make me doubt the case, but the reports of the large military exercise over the village seem interesting.

Has anyone investigated this case in a thorough way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm still not entirely convinced you're doing that due to laziness though as the questions you seem to miss are ones that either further my point or demonstrate that you are objectively wrong, e.g. "what example percentages did I give of intelligent life existing in the universe?" But I'll let it slide. ;)

No, sorry but I'm not deliberately dodging any questions. To be honest I lost interest in that point you've copied above, it doesn't really further our discussion and required me to go back through pages to find the link and I wasn't bothered.

I thought you said it did show evidence of something spectacular? Something without a heat signature and no aerodynamic control surfaces? Are you backtracking on that?

Nope, that info came from Fravor and Dietrich's account, not the video. I do still think it's an interesting addition to the incident, something physical was at the location picked up by radar. Like you say, it could be something mundane, but in the context of the other data and that it remains unidentified, it just adds to the overall picture of the series of events over those few days.

Do you think you would have the same interest in this incident if that video didn't exist?

Probably, yes, because I believe the unusual radar data exists. If the radar data didn't exist then I'd be less interested, it's the combination of the various data (and I include testimony in that, even though it is the least reliable source) that makes this case interesting to me.

What reaction is that exactly?

Having brushed the topic under the carpet for years we now have senior military officials past and present, former presidents, nasa, the senate... all saying that there is something unexplained happening in America's skies and it may present a threat to national security.

Again, absolutely 100% incorrect. You stayed that 144 UAPs "defied common sense explanation". Absolutely not. And again, this statement of "they have not been identified, therefore there is currently no common sense explanation for them." Again, absolutely not. All it means is that they cannot be identified. Nothing more. It does not mean that they are unexplained. They may be unidentified due to lack of data, data discrepancies etc. For example, if eyewitness accounts and radar data state that an object is two different things, is that a UAP? Yes. Even if both opinions refer to different everyday objects? Also yes. The report states that some of these UAPs are likely to balloons, others are likely to be birds, others again moisture etc.

You're just picking parts of what I say and running away with it. I said they "may or may not have a common sense explanation". I did not say that they unequivocally don't have a common sense explanation. My point was that while a UAP remains unidentified, it remains unexplained. You cannot explain what something was or how it behaved if you cannot even identify it. I don't see how that point could be considered contentious yet here we are...

The report itself even states, and I quote:

"we may require additional scientific knowledge to successfully collect on, analyze and characterize some of them. We would group such objects in this category pending scientific advances that allowed us to better understand them."

I mean it's black and white, they are saying they do not understand some of what they have seen and it may require advancements in science in order to achieve that understanding.

"The Meteorological Officer (METOC) onboard the Princeton provided a briefing that discussed a high altitude weather phenomena where ice crystals can form and be detected by the AN/SPY-1"

https://thenimitzencounters.com/2018/10/10/uss-nimitz-uap-executive-summary-report/

To me, it's strange that an executive report only mentions that in passing and doesn't even attempt to use that as a possible explanation. Also, ice crystals are specifically mentioned as a likely explanation of some of the UAPs in the report.

I have some basic meteorological training. I have also studied basic radar principles. All clouds above the level where temperature is -40°c are composed entirely of ice crystals. Ice crystals in suspension in the air but not visible as cloud are rarer and usually are associated with convective weather, having broken away from an active cumulonimbus cloud that has breached through the tropopause. I don't see any mention of convective weather in the area on the days in question but I accept the report is likely accurate and ice crystals were detected at high levels.
    Now we don't know what, if any issues this causes the AN/SPY-1. We're not told of any known radar errors associated with ice crystals. So I'm not in the least bit surprised that it's not offered as an explanation for this case, because it isn't one.
    Ice crystals can cause optical illusions for human observers when light reflects off them. I would hazard a guess that this is the likely use case with regard to UAPs inferred by the report. See here for example pictures.

While you certainly jumped to the conclusion that this report is referencing this incident even thought it's not specifically mentioned, I doubt you would also do the same thing for the explanation of this incident.

I don't think I did jump to any conclusion. The report focused on military UAP reports where there was pilot testimony and good data from 2004 to 2021. This incident ticks all the boxes, do you contest that?
    Also, what explanation? There is no explanation for this incident at this time.

Of the thousands and thousands of ice crystals that may have been in the sky at that time, if any two or more of them are of similar shape and are of a similar distance from the radar equipment, the equipment may incorrectly think that it is one object moving around at ridiculously speeds rather than multiple objects moving at typical speeds. And that can also happen if it's something other than ice crystals.

Again, that is just one of many many example as to how radar data can be wrong, and I won't go into it much.

Can you provide a link that demonstrates this behaviour for this particular radar? Otherwise this is just a nothing statement.
    Your hypothesis here requires us to believe that the minute chance of two similar shaped high altitude ice crystals came to the right distance to create a radar error that lasted many hours. And that this sequence of events just happened to be repeated over a number of days. Now who is being far fetched?

I think you're misquoting that a little bit. As you say, they focused on "systems we considered to be reliable", not on "reliable UAPs", whatever you mean by that.

Firstly you are completely misquoting me because I stated "reliable reports". I'm going to take a leaf out of your book here and insist that you acknowledge that in your next post.
    Secondly let's get what they focused on correct. They focused on reports that were witnessed first hand by military aviators and that were collected from systems they considered to be reliable. They put emphasis on the first hand pilot reports as much as the reliable systems. You cannot discount the pilot testimony.

Do they consider IR cameras to be reliable? Of course. Can you confidently say using an IR camera if something is floating plastic or something else? IR cameras from multiple planes pointed a large piece of plastic floating in the air would not be enough to tell you that is it plastic. A pilot looking at the same object with his eyes would not be able to tell that it was plastic unless he got really close. That would still be a UAP "collected from systems we considered to be reliable".

Let's say that hypothetically there is a phenomenon of "large pieces of plastic floating in the air" at high altitudes. (There isn't that I'm aware of). I'm saying high altitude because the Nimitz video was taken at 20000ft. Such a piece of plastic would only be capable of moving at the speed of the air in which it floats. It wouldn't take much analysis to at least come to the conclusion that whatever this object was it was coasting in the direction of the wind at the same speed as the wind. You would not be able to say it was plastic but you would be confident enough to say this was some debris floating on the wind.
    Therefore it is still a UAP, yes.

Again, you seem to be also be contradicting your own opinion within one post. You say here that "6 per month" is a significant number, but then also say that "I couldn't put a number on what rate of UAPs I would expect from the US military" just below. If you can't put a number on it, why have you decided that this number is significant? Based on the number of American military aircraft there is in the sky per day, and based on what the definition of a UAP is, if you had told me that the American military as a whole finds one UAP per day firsthand and with a reliable system, I would say "yeah that sounds about right". So why are you so surprised about 6 per month?

I've already explained this to you in my last post. But I'll go again. It's from my own experience, that despite thousands of hours flying, including night time transatlantic crossings, I have never seen a UAP. The company I work for also has an internal anonymous incident reporting system which is published monthly to enhance safety. I have never seen a UAP in those reports.

You stated "from what some military pilots have said they are encountering UAPs far more frequently than I would expect". You can read that as "from what some military pilots have said those pilots are encountering UAPs far more frequently than I would expect" or "from what some military pilots have said the military are encountering UAPs far more frequently than I would expect". You obviously meant the latter, my apologies.

I did, thank you.

Of course it would end up in this report. As you said, they focused on UAPs that were witnessed first hand and from systems that are reliable. Therefore, this example can tick both of those boxes and would therefore be included, is that not right?

Yes, that is true. I suppose I hoped there was some common sense applied to filter out the less mysterious reports, as it were, especially considering the 144 reports are just a fraction of the total number received. After all the UAP reports were seemingly handpicked to be considered for this final report.

I still think you're slightly confused about what the definition of a UAP is, so let's consider an example. Given that they've focused on firsthand accounts and reliable systems, they still believe that some of these UAPs could be birds. Can you give some examples of how some of these UAPs could be birds given what you understand by the term UAP?

Again, I'm not confused by the term UAP. I have no doubt that birds, balloons etc. could account for some or indeed all of the UAPs in the report, as has already been the case with the deflating balloon. I'm just more intrigued with the Nimitz event and the extraordinary set of circumstances - including radar errors over multiple days due to multiple days of rare weather phenomena and extreme misinterpretation of visual cues by multiple eyewitnesses - that are required to come up with a prosaic answer.

I believe that there are far too many common sense things that it could be for me to narrow it down. If I was able to narrow it down to just one of those common sense things, it wouldn't be a UAP after all.

That's a bit of a cop out. I was asking specifically about thermal fluctuation and whether you think it's conceivable that that is what we see on that video?

I don't understand this logic. You seem to think that, with time, we should be able to identify every UAP that's an everyday object? Absolutely not. Again, if you just have IR camera and an eyewitness testimony, there are plenty of objects that you cannot identify with confidence. And that's one example. There are plenty of ways you can be certain that a UAP was there but not be able to identify it. "Almost always" being identifiable can quite easily explain why there is only 6 per month from reliable systems across the entire American military.

Not every UAP, but I'd have expected more than 1 in 144.
    And you'll probably ask me to quantify how I come to that conclusion so I'll pre-empt and say that I can't, it's just my feeling on it.

Are the pilots aware of the difference between night and day? Why did they not take it into account?

Yes. And I've no idea. Like I said in my last post, and this is the second time you've asked me a question I've already answered, it may have been down to the personalities of the individuals involved, you would have to ask them.

To me, you are being disingenuous about the importance of this night vs. day argument. Because you are suggesting that a group of pilots have never been wrong about a similar incident in the daytime. But you don't actually believe that to be the case, do you? A quick Google will tell you that pilots have thought planets, meteors and even clouds were UAPs.

I'm not now, nor have I previously suggested any such thing. You may be inferring that, but that's on you.
    Pilots are susceptible to optical illusion and misinterpretation of visual cues at any time. What I was suggesting, and I still contest is true, is that it is much harder to identify an object in the dark than in daylight.
    Maybe you don't believe there was an object in this case at all? But I believe there was and I think it's unlikely that 4 pilots in broad daylight from 2 different viewpoints all suffered from the same optical illusions or gross misinterpretation of what they were seeing.

Those case studies I linked to also included links to studies done by the late Josef Hynek who was a professor of astronomy at Northwestern and a scientific consultant to the US Air Force. While he was working on a particular project, Project Blue Book, he kept records of the occupations of the witnesses of such incidents. His data showed that 88% of sightings by military pilots could be classified as misperceptions. If there were multiple pilots who saw the same thing, that figure only drops down to 76%. If there were multiple radar technicians, they misperceived what they saw 78% of the time, an even larger number. If multiple engineers or scientists saw the same thing, on the other hand, the only misperceived what they saw 50% of the time. Here is the relevant screenshot from his study.

The same Josef Hynek who did a complete 180 on the subject? Read his wiki.
    In his 1977 book, Hynek said that he enjoyed his role as a debunker for the Air Force. He also said that debunking was what the Air Force expected of him.
    In 1953, Hynek was an associate member of the Robertson Panel, which concluded that there was nothing anomalous about UFOs, and that a public relations campaign should be undertaken to debunk the subject and reduce public interest. Hynek would later lament that the Robertson Panel had helped make UFOs a disreputable field of study.
    Seems that Hynek was biased in his interpretation of the data as that was what he was employed to do.
    What was his definition of a misperception? How did they conclude that it had been a misperception, what data did he use? Hynek started this work in 1948. He had very little to go on other than what he was told the pilot observed and what he concluded.
    Many of the misperceptions were apparently related to stars and planets. So I'm afraid to say it seems the night versus day thing looks to have been a big factor here! And we don't have a breakdown of misperception rates during the day vs the night so it's hard to apply this data to this case and draw a solid conclusion.

Even if you take into account the fact that you believe the pilots now have better training for misconceptions, surely you're not suggesting that this figure has dropped from 76% to 0%? Even if we suggest that such training has improved so much as to make them as good as scientists, that only drops it to 50%. Heck, let's be overly kind and say it dropped to 20%, why not. That would still mean that if multiple pilots report seeing the same unusual thing, they have misperceived what they saw 20% of the time. Even with that very generous percentage, why do you so strongly believe that it could not be happening on this occasion?

Well I'm not considering the Hynek data as accurate anyway. But in this particular case it's a combination of things. It's that there were two aircraft observing from 2 positions. It's that there were 2 pilots in each aircraft. It's that the radar data supposedly backs up what they say they observed. I'm not ruling out that it is all coincidental and the radar was faulty and they grossly misinterpreted what they saw. I just think it's more likely something was in fact there and we haven't identified what that was.

What's the purpose of mentioning that they are commercial pilots? Are you saying that if Fravor etc. were commercial pilots, you would dismiss their testimony? Do commercial pilots have less flight hours than military pilots? The screenshot above suggests that commercial and military pilots have almost identical misperception rates. Do you have any links to studies that suggest otherwise?

Again, taking the Hynek data with a pinch of salt.
    I differentiate based on my own bias. Airline pilots don't spend a huge amount of time looking out the window, they rely on their instruments. Military pilots on the other hand spend most of their time looking outside. This may explain why they observe more UAPs. Therefore, a commercial pilot not looking outside may catch a glimpse of something in the corner of their eye and end up misinterpreting what they saw. A military pilot is more likely to see something sooner and get a better look.
    No I don't have links to studies. I have my own experience and knowledge.

No, I did not suggest that we should stop allowing pilots to fly planes. Not quite sure you've used the best analogy there.

That's not what I was suggesting either, read what I wrote again. I specifically spoke about pilot observations and whether bad observations should mean that we discount all observations. Thus the analogy with erroneous scientific observation.

So you're now saying that it's more likely the explanation is banal? I thought you weren't of that opinion?

I'm not a UFO nut. I think on balance the likelihood is that there is a prosaic explanation. Logic determines that is more likely than something extraordinary and new. But I keep an open mind and in this case I'm intrigued by the evidence we've seen and I am struggling to see a plausible explanation that ties everything together.

I'm sorry, but again, this is an incredibly silly argument you are trying to make. You believe that the egos of many pilots 30 years ago for that incident were very large. I assume you are not suggesting that those egos coincidentally disappeared the year of that case study I linked to of course? So when did they disappear? 25 years ago? 20 years ago? There were many pilots with egos 30 years or earlier ago, but not 17 years ago? That, to me, is an incredibly silly argument to try and make. Were you even a pilot 17 years ago let alone 30 years ago?

No, it takes years and continual training to change attitudes and perhaps ego is the wrong term to have used, though it was certainly part of the problem. A general attitude would be more appropriate perhaps. But there has been continual improvement over the years since CRM was introduced. Of course there are still occasional incidents which demonstrate an attitude problem was a contributing factor, but they are much less prevalent than they used to be.
    I was not a pilot 17 years ago, too young for that. But we study the accidents that have been caused due to poor CRM and the problem was rife pre 90's.
    Regardless, you asked me why those pilots made the error they did and why they didn't consider the fact that the night conditions obscured what they had witnessed. A question I obviously can't give you the answer to, I merely offered you an opinion so there's really nothing to gain by trying to discredit this, to get your answer you would have to ask the pilots involved.

This incident was seen by British commercial pilots, and CRM training for British commercial pilots has been a thing since the late 80s, so have you come to the conclusion that these pilots were not CRM trained?

No I have not, but that incident you linked occurred in 1991 so CRM was still a very new concept. It took years for it to be developed and to have an impact on the attitudes of commercial pilots.

Well I haven't seen any videos or read any interviews in which he gives thought to the idea that he might be wrong, even though he is fully aware that most scientists would say that he is overwhelmingly more likely to be wrong than right. Then again, I have not seen or read much from him. Do you have any links?

Links to what? All I've seen is what most have seen, the Joe Rogan podcast he did, the 60 minutes interview. He comes across as genuine to me and I don't doubt he has sought rational explanations. I think one of the hardest things for anyone to do is confront there own perception of an event and challenge it, particularly if you have no other rational explanation proposed.
    I think on Joe Rogan he discussed the possibility of it being US or Foreign tech and he said he thought it was possible though unlikely and that it would frighten him to think that a foreign power had tech that advanced.

Which is of no significance. There are also murders that have gone unsolved for centuries. Doesn't means that a ghost or an alien or an unknown technology did it. If you only have a finite amount of evidence to study, even with that evidence being from reliable systems, then the length of time it takes to study such a lack of evidence isn't important.

Most unsolved murders are missing a suspect or motive. Here we're talking about observations of objects potentially behaving in ways that we can't understand yet. If what is being observed is accurate, we may discover an explanation in time with further research. So I think it is significant. These occurrences don't seem to be stopping either which allows us the chance to continue studying and gaining new data. You can't do that with a murder from a few hundred years ago.

Edit: And you've gone silent again, self-admitting that you're a brick wall.

I am going to be removing the childish stuff A.

My post was as follows:

Can you explain the position you're coming from as regards the UFO report and recent documented encounters.

Also why are you asking me the question in bold, what is the question (you have asked me many and I apologise but I can't find this one) and how does my position differ from the question?

I am going to be removing the childish stuff A.

My post was as follows:

Can you explain the position you're coming from as regards the UFO report and recent documented encounters.

Also why are you asking me the question in bold, what is the question (you have asked me many and I apologise but I can't find this one) and how does my position differ from the question?

Jesus Christ, you are actually now asking what what the question is. Unbelievable.

You're now saying that the reason you have not answered my question, after 20+ times of asking, is because you don't even know what the question is? Even though I have stated the question quite concisely each time. That is the line you are now taking?

I shall hold your hand and guide you if I must.

Here, just a few posts backs. There you go.

You stated on many occasions that this video was wrong. Is it wrong?

At this stage, even answering this question now does not demonstrate you are not confirmation bias in human form. It would just be to save face on your part. I even went to the effort of describing that video for you in a post and yet you went radio silent. If you are trying to suggest that you did not know what the question was, you are talking nonsense.

And if you do not answer this question in your next response to me, I will quote many of the times that I have asked this question to you in my next response so people can see that you are being incredibly disingenuous and that there is no point in having discussions with you.

I will not be answering any of your questions until you answer this basic yes/no question because it demonstrates that you never admit to being wrong about anything and therefore are not posting in good faith.

Nope, that info came from Fravor and Dietrich's account, not the video. I do still think it's an interesting addition to the incident, something physical was at the location picked up by radar. Like you say, it could be something mundane, but in the context of the other data and that it remains unidentified, it just adds to the overall picture of the series of events over those few days.

But if you don't think the video shows anything spectacular, why were you debating the video? You are fully aware that I don't think the video is doctored or anything like that and that there is therefore an object or an anomaly of some sort within it, so why were you stressing things like no heat signature? You believe that the video alone shows evidence of something moving at significant speeds at high altitude with no propulsion. But also that the video alone does not show something spectacular?

Probably, yes, because I believe the unusual radar data exists. If the radar data didn't exist then I'd be less interested, it's the combination of the various data (and I include testimony in that, even though it is the least reliable source) that makes this case interesting to me.

And, again, I shall not comment on radar data that I don't have access to.

Having brushed the topic under the carpet for years we now have senior military officials past and present, former presidents, nasa, the senate... all saying that there is something unexplained happening in America's skies and it may present a threat to national security.

But former presidents, senators, NASA, military etc. have all said such things for decades. In fact, as I said before, my PhD was about something in the atmosphere that could not be explained.

You're just picking parts of what I say and running away with it. I said they "may or may not have a common sense explanation". I did not say that they unequivocally don't have a common sense explanation.

Again, completely and utterly false. I am not picking parts of what you said. What you said was
    They have stated that they can't categorise 143 of the 144 cases, 80 of which involve data from multiple sources. They have so far defied common sense explanation.

That is an objectively incorrect statement. No, they so far have no defied common sense explanation. There is nothing in the report that claims that. That just have not been identified, nothing more.

Not only is it an incorrect statement, but it is a very common way for conspiracy theorists to get some ammo for their ideas. If you, as a pilot, stated that in an interview, such theorists would quote that objectively false statement for years to come. They would say "hey, this pilot says that 143 have defied a common sense explanation! It must be true!" Even though the source you took that belief from did not only not say that, but did not even imply it.

The report itself even states, and I quote:

"we may require additional scientific knowledge to successfully collect on, analyze and characterize some of them. We would group such objects in this category pending scientific advances that allowed us to better understand them."

I mean it's black and white, they are saying they do not understand some of what they have seen and it may require advancements in science in order to achieve that understanding.

Again, you are taking a quote and making false statements using that quote. What does the second word of that quote state? They at no point suggested "they do not understand some of what they have seen".

Of course it may require additional scientific knowledge, because they are unidentified objects, so you have to have an "other" category by definition. If they instead stated, "we don't have enough data to identify this object, but it's certainly not a new phenomena", that wouldn't be the scientific way of analysing data.

I have some basic meteorological training. I have also studied basic radar principles. All clouds above the level where temperature is -40°c are composed entirely of ice crystals. Ice crystals in suspension in the air but not visible as cloud are rarer and usually are associated with convective weather, having broken away from an active cumulonimbus cloud that has breached through the tropopause. I don't see any mention of convective weather in the area on the days in question but I accept the report is likely accurate and ice crystals were detected at high levels.

I wouldn't even jump to the conclusion that ice crystals were detected at high levels during this period myself, I just mentioned it as one possibility. But if you believe that, let's go with it.

Now we don't know what, if any issues this causes the AN/SPY-1. We're not told of any known radar errors associated with ice crystals. So I'm not in the least bit surprised that it's not offered as an explanation for this case, because it isn't one.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Ice crystals can cause optical illusions for human observers when light reflects off them. I would hazard a guess that this is the likely use case with regard to UAPs inferred by the report. See here for example pictures.

Yes, which is why I'm not claiming that that's what Fravor and others saw. I'm just suggesting that the radar stuff could be related to a meteorological phenomenon and what the pilots saw was something else. I'm not saying that with confidence as it's just one of so many possibilities.

I don't think I did jump to any conclusion. The report focused on military UAP reports where there was pilot testimony and good data from 2004 to 2021. This incident ticks all the boxes, do you contest that?

I do not contest it at all.

Also, what explanation? There is no explanation for this incident at this time.

Are you again making the same mistake of suggesting that a UAP does not have an explanation? A UAP, by definition, can be considered as such because it in fact has multiple explanations. This incident also has many explanations. Video - you are agree is not significant. Testimony - plenty of ways testimony can be wrong. Radar - we don't even have access to, but there many explanations for false radar tracks, even over days.

Can you provide a link that demonstrates this behaviour for this particular radar? Otherwise this is just a nothing statement.
    Your hypothesis here requires us to believe that the minute chance of two similar shaped high altitude ice crystals came to the right distance to create a radar error that lasted many hours. And that this sequence of events just happened to be repeated over a number of days. Now who is being far fetched?

No link, just a science shower thought. How have you concluded that it's a minute chance given how many ice crystals there are during such events and that meteorological events can last for days? What is your maths behind that?

And, as an add on, ice crystals can melt and reform as they fall or move. That can also explain sudden apparent jumps in their location. Again, just a shower thought, and again, I'm not saying it's credible (or even necessary given that we don't have the radar data), I'm simply demonstrating that it's quite easy to come up with common sense explanations even just while you're typing a message.

Firstly you are completely misquoting me because I stated "reliable reports". I'm going to take a leaf out of your book here and insist that you acknowledge that in your next post.

You are correct, my apologies. I'm actually quite confident that I did mean to write "reliable reports" and slipped up. It's of little significance as if you replace UAP with report in what I said then I still hold by my statement that you misquoted. They stated that the systems were reliable, not that the reports were reliable.

Secondly let's get what they focused on correct. They focused on reports that were witnessed first hand by military aviators and that were collected from systems they considered to be reliable. They put emphasis on the first hand pilot reports as much as the reliable systems. You cannot discount the pilot testimony.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. You're saying that I cannot discount the pilot testimony? Because they focused on both? You even said about that the testimony was the least reliable source above.

Let's say that hypothetically there is a phenomenon of "large pieces of plastic floating in the air" at high altitudes. (There isn't that I'm aware of).

I never said there was a "phenomena" of it. But based on the fact that they included it as a likely explanation for some of the UAPs, it's safe to assume that many of the things reported by pilots as unidentified later turned out to be plastic when they looked at the data.

I'm saying high altitude because the Nimitz video was taken at 20000ft. Such a piece of plastic would only be capable of moving at the speed of the air in which it floats. It wouldn't take much analysis to at least come to the conclusion that whatever this object was it was coasting in the direction of the wind at the same speed as the wind. You would not be able to say it was plastic but you would be confident enough to say this was some debris floating on the wind.
    Therefore it is still a UAP, yes.

Where did I state that the Nimitz incident could be plastic? I only gave a plastic bag as an example of something with "unusual flight characteristics" and that some of these UAPs could be plastic bags. And the military believe that they could be too, which is why it they specifically mentioned it. Not quite sure of the point you're trying to make here.

I've already explained this to you in my last post. But I'll go again. It's from my own experience, that despite thousands of hours flying, including night time transatlantic crossings, I have never seen a UAP. The company I work for also has an internal anonymous incident reporting system which is published monthly to enhance safety. I have never seen a UAP in those reports.

Yes, you have said this a few times, but you have not explained what the significance of it is? I have said that the overwhelmingly majority of pilots likely have not seen a UAP in their careers. You seem to be just backing up my statement.

Yes, that is true. I suppose I hoped there was some common sense applied to filter out the less mysterious reports, as it were, especially considering the 144 reports are just a fraction of the total number received. After all the UAP reports were seemingly handpicked to be considered for this final report.

The reason they did not filter out less mysterious reports, in my mind of course, is that such a report would be blank. They have listed several categories, one of which is other, and have of course correctly stated some may or may not fall into each category. They have no stated that any of these 144 UAPs definitely fall into the "other" category and I am obviously of the strong opinion that they have not ruled out that all 144 UAPs could fall into the other four categories.

Again, I'm not confused by the term UAP. I have no doubt that birds, balloons etc. could account for some or indeed all of the UAPs in the report, as has already been the case with the deflating balloon. I'm just more intrigued with the Nimitz event and the extraordinary set of circumstances - including radar errors over multiple days due to multiple days of rare weather phenomena and extreme misinterpretation of visual cues by multiple eyewitnesses - that are required to come up with a prosaic answer.

I know that you are primarily interested in this one incident. But based on what I believe is a misunderstanding on your part of what a UAP is, I would stress again that you give an example.

As you said, this report has focused on incidents with firsthand reports and data collected from reliable systems. Can you give an example of how such an incident is a UAP if a possible explanation of what that UAP is is a bird?

That's a bit of a cop out. I was asking specifically about thermal fluctuation and whether you think it's conceivable that that is what we see on that video?

In the video? No, not at all. We're both in agreement that the video does not show anything unusual and is of little significance after all.

Not every UAP, but I'd have expected more than 1 in 144.
    And you'll probably ask me to quantify how I come to that conclusion so I'll pre-empt and say that I can't, it's just my feeling on it.

So the only reason you believe this report is of any significance is because of a "gut feeling"?

Yes. And I've no idea. Like I said in my last post, and this is the second time you've asked me a question I've already answered, it may have been down to the personalities of the individuals involved, you would have to ask them.

Same can be applied to the Nimitz incident.

I'm not now, nor have I previously suggested any such thing. You may be inferring that, but that's on you.
    Pilots are susceptible to optical illusion and misinterpretation of visual cues at any time. What I was suggesting, and I still contest is true, is that it is much harder to identify an object in the dark than in daylight.

So do you believe that is likely that a group of pilots have been wrong about a similar incident in the daytime? Or was my inference instead correct? If my inference was incorrect, then what is the point of this night vs day argument you are trying to make if you also believe a similar thing has happened in the past during the day anyway?

Maybe you don't believe there was an object in this case at all? But I believe there was and I think it's unlikely that 4 pilots in broad daylight from 2 different viewpoints all suffered from the same optical illusions or gross misinterpretation of what they were seeing.

4 pilots suffered from optical illusions? How many pilots saw it with their eyes again?

It's a good thing those aren't the only two options. Fravor may have seen something he believed was unexplainable, the other(s) saw something unusual but not necessarily unexplainable but either intentionally or unintentionally sided with the unexplainable idea as that's what their superior believed. Or perhaps Fravor got caught up in the excitement of seeing something unexpected, wrote his report while still excited, realised he may have jumped the gun a few days later after calming down, but stuck with his statement for his reputation's sake, and is maybe even enjoying the fame from it too. I'm not suggesting that either of those are the case, I am just saying you have suggested two common sense explanations, and I have suggested two more, and there are many many others. And within e.g. optical illusions, there are many many sub explanations. We do not need to jump to the idea of government scientists coming up with new technology that college professors couldn't and things like that.

The same Josef Hynek who did a complete 180 on the subject? Read his wiki.

Yes. I did read his wiki as I used it to source my screenshot and I assumed you would resort to this disingenuous argument. Just because Hynek changed his opinion about something does not suggest in any way that Hynek, a man very knowledgeable in statistics, was not being scientific when he collected and analysed his data either before or after he changed his opinion. In fact, it takes a strong will to admit to yourself that you were wrong about something after such a long time. Fravor might want to take a page out of his book.

Seems that Hynek was biased in his interpretation of the data as that was what he was employed to do.

Ok? Are you suggesting that should discredit everything from SETI? And all other similar jobs whereby we are employed to do some specific thing?

What was his definition of a misperception? How did they conclude that it had been a misperception, what data did he use? Hynek started this work in 1948. He had very little to go on other than what he was told the pilot observed and what he concluded.

I wouldn't have a clue. I am instead under the assumption that this expert collected and analysed his data correctly, and you have not demonstrated why I should not believe that. Did he specifically state any point after he changed his viewpoint that his methods for determining these numbers were wrong? You would think that, as a scientist, that if he realised he was horribly wrong about something that he would have stated it in some form afterwards, especially since he also had a different opinion afterwards.

Likewise, if it's believed that he was wrong about the misperception rate of pilots, why has another study not come along to discredit him? It would be a very basic thing to do what he did, and you would think it would be important thing to have some idea of how often pilots are wrong. Since I asked you in the previous to link to such a study and you haven't, I assume no such study exists. So, after 40+ years, his analysis has not been discredited by people on either side. What should someone conclude from that?

Well I'm not considering the Hynek data as accurate anyway. But in this particular case it's a combination of things. It's that there were two aircraft observing from 2 positions. It's that there were 2 pilots in each aircraft. It's that the radar data supposedly backs up what they say they observed. I'm not ruling out that it is all coincidental and the radar was faulty and they grossly misinterpreted what they saw.

Again, what's the significance of there being four pilots if they did not all see it? I'm a bit confused. In fact, the fact that there were four pilots but all four of them didn't see what was supposedly a bizarre object is of benefit to my argument and not yours, is it not?

I just think it's more likely something was in fact there and we haven't identified what that was.

Oh it's just not just more likely. Again, no one is doubting that they saw a UAP.

I differentiate based on my own bias. Airline pilots don't spend a huge amount of time looking out the window, they rely on their instruments. Military pilots on the other hand spend most of their time looking outside. This may explain why they observe more UAPs.

Agreed.

Therefore, a commercial pilot not looking outside may catch a glimpse of something in the corner of their eye and end up misinterpreting what they saw. A military pilot is more likely to see something sooner and get a better look.

Agreed. But if a pilot saw something for long enough to confidently conclude that it was object travelling faster than the speed of sound, breaking the laws of physics and had a shape he had never seen, then I don't see the relevance of this argument.

No I don't have links to studies. I have my own experience and knowledge.

Which, as any statistician will tell you, is of no significance.

That's not what I was suggesting either, read what I wrote again. I specifically spoke about pilot observations and whether bad observations should mean that we discount all observations. Thus the analogy with erroneous scientific observation.

You were asking if experimental scientists should stop doing experiments, i.e. stop doing their jobs, if they make an inaccurate observation. Again, I would say that that is a bad analogy.

I'm not a UFO nut. I think on balance the likelihood is that there is a prosaic explanation. Logic determines that is more likely than something extraordinary and new. But I keep an open mind and in this case I'm intrigued by the evidence we've seen and I am struggling to see a plausible explanation that ties everything together.

But you seem to be quite defensive about the idea of a logical explanation? You're saying that you're taking the Hynek data with a pinch of salt only because he changed his personal opinion, for example.

No, it takes years and continual training to change attitudes and perhaps ego is the wrong term to have used, though it was certainly part of the problem. A general attitude would be more appropriate perhaps. But there has been continual improvement over the years since CRM was introduced. Of course there are still occasional incidents which demonstrate an attitude problem was a contributing factor, but they are much less prevalent than they used to be.

And as you probably expected, I would ask you to quantify how less prevalent it was 17 years ago compared to less than 30 years ago.

I was not a pilot 17 years ago, too young for that. But we study the accidents that have been caused due to poor CRM and the problem was rife pre 90's.

Good thing this incident was not pre 90s then.

Regardless, you asked me why those pilots made the error they did and why they didn't consider the fact that the night conditions obscured what they had witnessed. A question I obviously can't give you the answer to, I merely offered you an opinion so there's really nothing to gain by trying to discredit this, to get your answer you would have to ask the pilots involved.

Agreed.

No I have not, but that incident you linked occurred in 1991 so CRM was still a very new concept. It took years for it to be developed and to have an impact on the attitudes of commercial pilots.

Do you have any link that suggests that CRM did not have immediate impact on the attitudes of commercial pilots? You weren't there after all, or are you again only basing this on more hearsay from fellow pilots and/or because you want to believe that that is the case? And I don't just mean a link showing the the application of CRM improved over time. Of course it would improve over time.

Links to what? All I've seen is what most have seen, the Joe Rogan podcast he did, the 60 minutes interview. He comes across as genuine to me and I don't doubt he has sought rational explanations. I think one of the hardest things for anyone to do is confront there own perception of an event and challenge it, particularly if you have no other rational explanation proposed.

Well, considering neither of us are psychologists, I don't think either of us can or should conclude anything from interviews, podcasts etc. about whether someone is genuine or not. I have co-authored a book on psychology in relation to medical physics, but I certainly would not suggest that my opinion has more significance than yours on the matter. Because neither of our opinions matter. Because we're not psychologists.

Most unsolved murders are missing a suspect or motive. Here we're talking about observations of objects potentially behaving in ways that we can't understand yet. If what is being observed is accurate, we may discover an explanation in time with further research. So I think it is significant.

There are, however, plenty of unsolved murders that have witnesses, CCTV footage etc., as well as combinations of such sources. Do you believe that such unsolved murders require aliens, secret technology or something similar?

These occurrences don't seem to be stopping either

Why would occurrences of UAPs ever stop? You use the phrase "don't seem" as if UAPs could stop being a thing in the future.

These occurrences don't seem to be stopping either which allows us the chance to continue studying and gaining new data. You can't do that with a murder from a few hundred years ago.

Eh, what? You're unlikely to gain new data for a murder from a hundred years ago, just like you're unlikely to gain new data for a UAP from a hundred years ago. The occurrence of UAPs don't seem to be stopping, and the occurrence of unsolved murders don't seem to be stopping. You don't seem to have made any point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

As is the norm on Boards, two individuals take the thread over.

Butson wrote: »
    As is the norm on Boards, two individuals take the thread over.

You are free to reply to my or lintdrummer's message. Or you can continue to make irrelevant comments. Your choice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Going forward what they could do is install permanently placed "sentry" cameras in the sea tethered on buoys, that way anything passing 'Tic-Tac' shaped or otherwise would get snapped and recorded. A bit like those wildlife cameras that you can strap to trees to capture badgers or deer, these UAP cameras might do likewise off the west coast of the US. They could also have s submerged version with built-in sonar?

Catch the culprits on camera & sonar unawares.

I'm not getting involved in the current arguments so I'll just repost my last contribution from a few pages back, as it may have been overlooked?

Nothing new to add to the debate other than that really, but as theories go I would err on the side of an as yet unknown 'earthbound lifeform' of some kind, no idea what it is, very fast moving very advanced, possibly connected to the sea and sky? finally acknowledged (by the report) as being real and not a trick of the light, weather balloons or swamp gas.

I have no evidence or proof as its just a theory, a theory which Louis Elizondo mentioned in his list of theories as to what this Phenomon is.

... and remember folks, this is not the politics forum, so please Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Steve012

I'm not getting involved in the current arguments so I'll just repost my last contribution from a few pages back, as it may have been overlooked?

Nothing new to add to the debate other than that really, but as theories go I would err on the side of an as yet unknown 'earthbound lifeform' of some kind, no idea what it is, very fast moving very advanced, possibly connected to the sea and sky? finally acknowledged (by the report) as being real and not a trick of the light, weather balloons or swamp gas.

I have no evidence or proof as its just a theory, a theory which Louis Elizondo mentioned in his list of theories as to what this Phenomon is.

... and remember folks, this is not the politics forum, so please Chill.

IMO, The "craft that ain't American" are interdimensional not from other planets.
    my 2 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Steve012 wrote: »
    IMO, The "craft that ain't American" are interdimensional not from other planets.
    my 2 cent

A good point there. We’re only really aware of about 5% of our surroundings. 95% of everything around us is practically invisible to current human tech. We could be sharing this planet with a far older more advanced race of people that can freely operate in and out of the realm of dark matter which is everywhere around us. For all we know we’re about as interesting to them as a large colony of ants. Just pure speculation of course and absolutely no way to prove it or disprove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

The vast majority of these modern UAP sightings are being reported by the US Navy, is this correct? It just seems strange to me that this is the case, when the US Airforce, who I would assume have vastly greater numbers of airborne aircraft, with greater numbers of pilots, better aircraft, more aerial camera's/tech etc, aircraft flying all throughout the entire globe and they don't seem to have anywhere near the numbers of reported sightings of these aerial phenomenon?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    The vast majority of these modern UAP sightings are being reported by the US Navy, is this correct? It just seems strange to me that this is the case, when the US Airforce, who I would assume have vastly greater numbers of airborne aircraft, with greater numbers of pilots, better aircraft, more aerial camera's/tech etc, aircraft flying all throughout the entire globe and they don't seem to have anywhere near the numbers of reported sightings of these aerial phenomenon?

I also wonder why satellites don't pick up more sightings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Or you can continue to make irrelevant comments. Your choice. :)

ar·​ro·​gance | \ ˈer-ə-gən(t)s

Definition of arrogance

: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

: an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people

kingtiger wrote: »

Definition of arrogance

: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

: an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people

I'm aware of what arrogance is, thank you. Have you looked up when arrogance is justified?

You might find it includes when people complain about two people who are having a constructive discussion, in which they make one post per day, and suggest that they are taking over a thread with those two posts per day when no one is stopping them from posting whatever they like as often as they like.

But thank you for another personal attack. Would you like me to define the word hypocrite for you, seeing as how the only posts you've made in this thread in the past week is attacking people?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

kingtiger wrote: »

Definition of arrogance

I'm aware of what arrogance is, thank you. Have you looked up when arrogance is justified?

You might find it includes when people complain about two people who are having a constructive discussion, in which they make one post per day, and suggest that they are taking over a thread with those two posts per day when no one is stopping them from posting whatever they like as often as they like.

But thank you for another personal attack. Would you like me to define the word hypocrite for you, seeing as how the only posts you've made in this thread in the past week is attacking people?

Mod

Lads this is AH. Take it handy and post a little more lightheartedly. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

buried wrote: »

Not at all when most UAP are the Air force ,why would they report themselves ,

For years the government pretended there was nothing in the sky no there using the opposite tactics and pretending whats up there is not them when it is ,

What wold do people live in that they think if there was not real UAP the sky would not be constantly full of army aircraft looking for them,

In what world would our Governments tell us about them & if they had no idea about them,

Why do you think the same Governments who lied & hide the, are all of a sudden happy to tell us about them without information themselves

Makes no sense for people who distrusted the Governments for decades & tried to tell us at nay chance they had that where being lied to all of a sudden take the same Governments words as gospel ,

Lastly no decent picture or Video to this day existences .....sure Nasa, Airforce whatever can't get a good picture,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

This will probably by my last long winded reply Aristotle because it's taking way too much time to go through these posts and it is cluttering up the thread. It's been fun though and I hope we've both gotten something from it. Cheers.

But if you don't think the video shows anything spectacular, why were you debating the video? You are fully aware that I don't think the video is doctored or anything like that and that there is therefore an object or an anomaly of some sort within it, so why were you stressing things like no heat signature? You believe that the video alone shows evidence of something moving at significant speeds at high altitude with no propulsion. But also that the video alone does not show something spectacular?

By nothing spectacular I meant no sudden acceleration or crazy manoeuvres as some people suggest. I do think it's interesting that it doesn't appear to have a conventional means of propulsion and I'd love to see the radar tracking of it. But it could be anything and I'm not enthralled by it by any means.

But former presidents, senators, NASA, military etc. have all said such things for decades. In fact, as I said before, my PhD was about something in the atmosphere that could not be explained.

Really? I wasn't aware that senior US officials were so open about the phenomenon previously. I've heard that Carter was interested in the subject but I've never seen any statements he made on it. Do you have any links to previous acknowledgements by such high ranking officials?

Again, completely and utterly false. I am not picking parts of what you said. What you said was

They have stated that they can't categorise 143 of the 144 cases, 80 of which involve data from multiple sources. They have so far defied common sense explanation.

That is an objectively incorrect statement. No, they so far have no defied common sense explanation. There is nothing in the report that claims that. That just have not been identified, nothing more.

Not only is it an incorrect statement, but it is a very common way for conspiracy theorists to get some ammo for their ideas. If you, as a pilot, stated that in an interview, such theorists would quote that objectively false statement for years to come. They would say "hey, this pilot says that 143 have defied a common sense explanation! It must be true!" Even though the source you took that belief from did not only not say that, but did not even imply it.

I think this is somewhat pedantic on your part and you want to make a massive distinction between unidentified and unexplained. I can understand that but let me tell you what way I'm thinking about it:
    If you have radar data of an object moving faster than any known vehicle can then not only is that object unidentified but you also cannot explain how that object was moving so fast therefore it is unexplained. You do not have a common sense explanation for that particular incident. You can theorise that it is a radar anomaly but until that is proven you cannot offer that as an explanation.
    If you have IR footage of an object at 20000' that you can't identify, you also can't explain where it came from or in some cases how it manoeuvres so therefore it is also unexplained.
    That is my thinking behind that wording.

Again, you are taking a quote and making false statements using that quote. What does the second word of that quote state? They at no point suggested "they do not understand some of what they have seen".

Of course it may require additional scientific knowledge, because they are unidentified objects, so you have to have an "other" category by definition. If they instead stated, "we don't have enough data to identify this object, but it's certainly not a new phenomena", that wouldn't be the scientific way of analysing data.

Yes that's fair. Even to go so far as to include this statement is a pretty big deal to me. I read it as "Some of these observations may be unidentifiable because we don't understand what they are and we need further scientific advancement in order to make identification possible".

How did you come to that conclusion?

A little bit of googling didn't turn up any known issues with radar data caused by ice crystals. As you said the report you linked didn't mention the possibility of the radar data being corrupted by the MET conditions. If you have evidence to suggest this may have been the case I'd like to see that.

Yes, which is why I'm not claiming that that's what Fravor and others saw. I'm just suggesting that the radar stuff could be related to a meteorological phenomenon and what the pilots saw was something else. I'm not saying that with confidence as it's just one of so many possibilities.

Okay, well you were saying that ice crystals could cause the radar errors so can you link to something explaining that? But I agree it's possible, though very coincidental that the radar returns and the sighting by the pilots were unrelated.

I do not contest it at all.

Okay... you have mentioned it a couple of times that I was just assuming this event was part of the report. It seemed to me you were suggesting it wasn't.

Are you again making the same mistake of suggesting that a UAP does not have an explanation? A UAP, by definition, can be considered as such because it in fact has multiple explanations. This incident also has many explanations. Video - you are agree is not significant. Testimony - plenty of ways testimony can be wrong. Radar - we don't even have access to, but there many explanations for false radar tracks, even over days.

Sorry, we don't have explanations for any of those pieces of evidence right now. It was a pretty simple question: Is the Nimitz event explained as of now? Clearly everything has an explanation, but as of now that explanation hasn't been found for this event so it is unexplained.

No link, just a science shower thought. How have you concluded that it's a minute chance given how many ice crystals there are during such events and that meteorological events can last for days? What is your maths behind that?

And, as an add on, ice crystals can melt and reform as they fall or move. That can also explain sudden apparent jumps in their location. Again, just a shower thought, and again, I'm not saying it's credible (or even necessary given that we don't have the radar data), I'm simply demonstrating that it's quite easy to come up with common sense explanations even just while you're typing a message.

So you don't have a link to a source that explains these kind of radar anomalies being caused by ice crystals? Where are you getting this information from?
    I don't have any maths behind the ice crystal thinking. I don't even have any proof that this kind of radar error exists! It's just common sense. I just don't believe that this rare atmospheric condition would reoccur daily in the same way at the same location.
    As for melting and reforming: I can't see that causing a radar return 60 miles away from the original one. Again if you have links to any of this stuff that would be great.

You are correct, my apologies. I'm actually quite confident that I did mean to write "reliable reports" and slipped up. It's of little significance as if you replace UAP with report in what I said then I still hold by my statement that you misquoted. They stated that the systems were reliable, not that the reports were reliable.

Okay well I take your point on reliable reports versus reliable systems. Thank you.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. You're saying that I cannot discount the pilot testimony? Because they focused on both? You even said about that the testimony was the least reliable source above.

I'm saying that you are completely dismissive of the eyewitness testimony but it's worth noting that the report considers eyewitness testimony as valuable, evidenced by the fact that they focused on such reports and reports with reliable systems data. I'm trying to point out to you that it's not constructive to completely dismiss eyewitness testimony to the point where you refuse to discuss it.

I never said there was a "phenomena" of it. But based on the fact that they included it as a likely explanation for some of the UAPs, it's safe to assume that many of the things reported by pilots as unidentified later turned out to be plastic when they looked at the data.

Agreed.

Where did I state that the Nimitz incident could be plastic? I only gave a plastic bag as an example of something with "unusual flight characteristics" and that some of these UAPs could be plastic bags. And the military believe that they could be too, which is why it they specifically mentioned it. Not quite sure of the point you're trying to make here.

You didn't, I was just using the Nimitz video as an example because that's the case we're discussing. The point was that plastic bags should be pretty easy to identify.

Yes, you have said this a few times, but you have not explained what the significance of it is? I have said that the overwhelmingly majority of pilots likely have not seen a UAP in their careers. You seem to be just backing up my statement.

Yes, precisely, which goes to validate my point that the number of UAP reports coming out of the US military seems high to me, considering most pilots probably don't ever see one.

The reason they did not filter out less mysterious reports, in my mind of course, is that such a report would be blank. They have listed several categories, one of which is other, and have of course correctly stated some may or may not fall into each category. They have no stated that any of these 144 UAPs definitely fall into the "other" category and I am obviously of the strong opinion that they have not ruled out that all 144 UAPs could fall into the other four categories.

Fair enough.

I know that you are primarily interested in this one incident. But based on what I believe is a misunderstanding on your part of what a UAP is, I would stress again that you give an example.

As you said, this report has focused on incidents with firsthand reports and data collected from reliable systems. Can you give an example of how such an incident is a UAP if a possible explanation of what that UAP is is a bird?

Okay then I'll humour you: A pilot observes an albatross in the distance and well below his altitude, flying in the opposite direction at a seemingly fast pace, but he cannot identify it as a bird. It is also captured on the FLIR camera, but the object is too far away to distinguish what it is on the video. Nobody can identify what it is. It's a UAP.

In the video? No, not at all. We're both in agreement that the video does not show anything unusual and is of little significance after all.

Okay, I assumed you had this video in mind when you brought up thermal fluctuation. Any thoughts then on what that is in the Nimitz video?

So the only reason you believe this report is of any significance is because of a "gut feeling"?

Gut feeling is the wrong term, it's just logical to expect more than one in 144 reports being resolved after some serious scrutiny. That's a poor success rate.

So do you believe that is likely that a group of pilots have been wrong about a similar incident in the daytime? Or was my inference instead correct? If my inference was incorrect, then what is the point of this night vs day argument you are trying to make if you also believe a similar thing has happened in the past during the day anyway?

I have no doubt that there have been misidentifications by pilots during the day. But it still holds that daytime observations are likely to be more accurate and detailed. I would not discount testimony just because others have gotten it wrong before.

4 pilots suffered from optical illusions? How many pilots saw it with their eyes again?

4, three who have gone public.

It's a good thing those aren't the only two options. Fravor may have seen something he believed was unexplainable, the other(s) saw something unusual but not necessarily unexplainable but either intentionally or unintentionally sided with the unexplainable idea as that's what their superior believed. Or perhaps Fravor got caught up in the excitement of seeing something unexpected, wrote his report while still excited, realised he may have jumped the gun a few days later after calming down, but stuck with his statement for his reputation's sake, and is maybe even enjoying the fame from it too. I'm not suggesting that either of those are the case, I am just saying you have suggested two common sense explanations, and I have suggested two more, and there are many many others. And within e.g. optical illusions, there are many many sub explanations. We do not need to jump to the idea of government scientists coming up with new technology that college professors couldn't and things like that.

All true.

Yes. I did read his wiki as I used it to source my screenshot and I assumed you would resort to this disingenuous argument. Just because Hynek changed his opinion about something does not suggest in any way that Hynek, a man very knowledgeable in statistics, was not being scientific when he collected and analysed his data either before or after he changed his opinion. In fact, it takes a strong will to admit to yourself that you were wrong about something after such a long time. Fravor might want to take a page out of his book.

I don't think it's disingenuous. It's a study that was conducted more than half a century ago. How much data was available outside of pilot testimony? Hynek has said he was hired to be a debunker. He was therefore working in a very biased environment. He was hired because of his astronomy background to point out stars and planets that may have been mistaken by pilots for lights in the night sky. It all sounds subjective to me.

Ok? Are you suggesting that should discredit everything from SETI? And all other similar jobs whereby we are employed to do some specific thing?

Absolutely not. I don't think there are many scientific studies that are conducted with such a heavily biased pretense. This is the difference and Hynek has said as much. He wasn't hired to study the phenomena, he was hired to compile data that would discredit reports.
    Anyone carrying out scientific research should be doing so from an open and unbiased standpoint don't you agree?

I wouldn't have a clue. I am instead under the assumption that this expert collected and analysed his data correctly, and you have not demonstrated why I should not believe that. Did he specifically state any point after he changed his viewpoint that his methods for determining these numbers were wrong? You would think that, as a scientist, that if he realised he was horribly wrong about something that he would have stated it in some form afterwards, especially since he also had a different opinion afterwards.

I don't know because I don't own any of his books so I can't look that up. He has stated however that he regrets some of the work he was involved in, which if it was unbiased and fair then it would be an odd thing to regret being involved with it.

Likewise, if it's believed that he was wrong about the misperception rate of pilots, why has another study not come along to discredit him? It would be a very basic thing to do what he did, and you would think it would be important thing to have some idea of how often pilots are wrong. Since I asked you in the previous to link to such a study and you haven't, I assume no such study exists. So, after 40+ years, his analysis has not been discredited by people on either side. What should someone conclude from that?

The whole UFO topic has been taboo for years, there has been very little scientific research into the phenomenon at all that I'm aware of. Hence why the reference you've provided is from data compiled in the 1950s. I wouldn't conclude much from the fact that no other research may have been conducted. We would have to rely on UAPs being identified and then cross referencing the data with what the pilots reported. These reports have only been standardised in the US military since 2019 so it may be some while before that kind of research is even possible.

Again, what's the significance of there being four pilots if they did not all see it? I'm a bit confused. In fact, the fact that there were four pilots but all four of them didn't see what was supposedly a bizarre object is of benefit to my argument and not yours, is it not?

What makes you so sure that all 4 of them didn't see something? 3 of them have publicly said that they did. There is only one that hasn't come forward publicly. Not uncommon in these events due to the stigma attached.

Agreed. But if a pilot saw something for long enough to confidently conclude that it was object travelling faster than the speed of sound, breaking the laws of physics and had a shape he had never seen, then I don't see the relevance of this argument.

Don't really get your point here.

Which, as any statistician will tell you, is of no significance.

Yes they would, fair enough.

You were asking if experimental scientists should stop doing experiments, i.e. stop doing their jobs, if they make an inaccurate observation. Again, I would say that that is a bad analogy.

I think the analogy is fair. In both cases there is error in observation. In both cases it would be unfair to say that future observations should be discounted because there has been past error. You determine the cause of the error and you incorporate this into future training. This allows for more robust observation going forward.

But you seem to be quite defensive about the idea of a logical explanation? You're saying that you're taking the Hynek data with a pinch of salt only because he changed his personal opinion, for example.

Well I have discussed my position on Hynek in detail above so I won't go into that again.
    I'm just trying to eek out a good logical explanation from you, seeing as you are so confident that there is nothing new in what has been observed, just simply a lack of identification of something prosaic.
    But in the Nimitz case it requires a lot of coincidence to explain that it is all mundane and simply unidentified. Not that that is impossible, but that it requires the coincidence of multiple days of radar anomalies, total misidentification of an object by multiple eyewitnesses and the capturing of IR footage of an unrelated other UAP, just seems like a lot to accept.
    Now the alternative is obviously a lot to accept too, that it was the result of some either massively advanced tech that most are unaware of or other phenomenon that nobody understands. You could make an argument that this is actually the simpler answer and perhaps that's why so many people gravitate towards it.
    I'm open to the idea that the latter solution is an option, as unlikely as it seems. Maybe that comes across as defensive?

And as you probably expected, I would ask you to quantify how less prevalent it was 17 years ago compared to less than 30 years ago.

I suppose you could go through all airline accident reports from 30 years ago, see how many were found to have CRM issues as part of the cause and then compare that against the same data from 17 years ago. I'm confident that you would see a notable decrease from 30 to 17 years ago. That's sounds like a lot of work though and not something I'll be doing to prove a point to you!

Good thing this incident was not pre 90s then.

Barely, it was 1991. CRM was in it's infancy then and like anything takes time to have a notable impact.

Do you have any link that suggests that CRM did not have immediate impact on the attitudes of commercial pilots? You weren't there after all, or are you again only basing this on more hearsay from fellow pilots and/or because you want to believe that that is the case? And I don't just mean a link showing the the application of CRM improved over time. Of course it would improve over time.

No, but do you agree that with any new concept in any field, it takes time to develop, refine and see improved results?

Well, considering neither of us are psychologists, I don't think either of us can or should conclude anything from interviews, podcasts etc. about whether someone is genuine or not. I have co-authored a book on psychology in relation to medical physics, but I certainly would not suggest that my opinion has more significance than yours on the matter. Because neither of our opinions matter. Because we're not psychologists.

No we're not qualified to make claims about anybody, but I didn't claim he is definitely genuine. I just said he comes across as genuine to me. That's just my own judgement on what I've seen.

There are, however, plenty of unsolved murders that have witnesses, CCTV footage etc., as well as combinations of such sources.

True. What I was getting at is that if this is some new phenomenon, then time will help us to understand it.

Why would occurrences of UAPs ever stop? You use the phrase "don't seem" as if UAPs could stop being a thing in the future.

I meant these highly unusual ones where people are claiming to have observed incredible behaviour.

Eh, what? You're unlikely to gain new data for a murder from a hundred years ago, just like you're unlikely to gain new data for a UAP from a hundred years ago. The occurrence of UAPs don't seem to be stopping, and the occurrence of unsolved murders don't seem to be stopping. You don't seem to have made any point here.

The point is if some UAP do indeed represent an as yet unexplained new phenomenon then further recording of data related to this phenomenon will lead to better understanding of it going forward.

No problem. I'll just pick some of the more glaring things if that helps. I'll ignore things where you've said "it's possible you're right etc." If there's anything specific I didn't reply to that you'd like me to reply to, just let me know. :)

I think this is somewhat pedantic on your part and you want to make a massive distinction between unidentified and unexplained. I can understand that but let me tell you what way I'm thinking about it:
    If you have radar data of an object moving faster than any known vehicle can then not only is that object unidentified but you also cannot explain how that object was moving so fast therefore it is unexplained. You do not have a common sense explanation for that particular incident. You can theorise that it is a radar anomaly but until that is proven you cannot offer that as an explanation.

Yes, but where in the report does it state that all 143 UAPs are UAPs because of such reasons? An object can be unidentified because of a lack of data. It can be unidentified because instruments says it's one thing whereas eyewitnesses, or other instruments, say it's another thing etc. There are many many ways for an object to be a UAP without being anything like your example. You stated that 143 UAPs defy common sense explanation, and since the report does not claim that anywhere, it is incorrect statement, is it not? Does your albatross example defy common sense explanation? Could your albatross example be one of these 143 UAPs?

Sorry, we don't have explanations for any of those pieces of evidence right now. It was a pretty simple question: Is the Nimitz event explained as of now? Clearly everything has an explanation, but as of now that explanation hasn't been found for this event so it is unexplained.

We have pilot testimony, which does need to be explained as testimony is often wrong, and we have radar data we don't even have access to. So there isn't even anything to explain.

I'm saying that you are completely dismissive of the eyewitness testimony but it's worth noting that the report considers eyewitness testimony as valuable, evidenced by the fact that they focused on such reports and reports with reliable systems data.

I would disagree. I would say they focused on incidents that include only testimony as it rules out there having being issues with instruments and because it simply reduces the number of UAPs to focus on from thousands to hundreds.

Yes, precisely, which goes to validate my point that the number of UAP reports coming out of the US military seems high to me, considering most pilots probably don't ever see one.

But again, how is that high? If there are e.g. six per month, or even more, how many US pilots see a UAP in their career?

Okay then I'll humour you: A pilot observes an albatross in the distance and well below his altitude, flying in the opposite direction at a seemingly fast pace, but he cannot identify it as a bird. It is also captured on the FLIR camera, but the object is too far away to distinguish what it is on the video. Nobody can identify what it is. It's a UAP.

Thank you. So, how often do you think that happens? To me, even birds alone, based on your own example, can easily explain 6 UAPs per month.

Okay, I assumed you had this video in mind when you brought up thermal fluctuation. Any thoughts then on what that is in the Nimitz video?

Not really, just that it's not an inanimate object.

Gut feeling is the wrong term, it's just logical to expect more than one in 144 reports being resolved after some serious scrutiny. That's a poor success rate.

You can scrutinise your albatross example as much as you like. It's going to remain a UAP.

I have no doubt that there have been misidentifications by pilots during the day. But it still holds that daytime observations are likely to be more accurate and detailed. I would not discount testimony just because others have gotten it wrong before.

But if you did not have this radar data that you don't have access to, you would therefore agree that it is more likely that these group of pilots are wrong than e.g. some hidden technology, given that you believe groups of pilots have been wrong about similar incidents in the past in the daytime?

4, three who have gone public.

Do you have a link that says 4 pilots saw it with their naked eyes?

I don't think it's disingenuous. It's a study that was conducted more than half a century ago. How much data was available outside of pilot testimony? Hynek has said he was hired to be a debunker. He was therefore working in a very biased environment. He was hired because of his astronomy background to point out stars and planets that may have been mistaken by pilots for lights in the night sky. It all sounds subjective to me.

You seem to have an interesting fascination with how long ago something was. Scientists 50 years knew how to put their personal beliefs aside to come to the correct scientific conclusion, just as they do now. I didn't take any courses at any point that specifically taught me how to be unbiased, you just gradually get better at it as you do more and more science in your career. So I don't quite see why scientists of today would be less unbiased than scientists of 50 years ago.

Anyone carrying out scientific research should be doing so from an open and unbiased standpoint don't you agree?

Yes. So why are you discrediting Hynek and not SETI?

I don't know because I don't own any of his books so I can't look that up. He has stated however that he regrets some of the work he was involved in, which if it was unbiased and fair then it would be an odd thing to regret being involved with it.

Again, if he had a different opinion afterwards, then why did he not write a correction to his work? The reason is because he just changed his opinion,
    as many scientists do, that's all. Based on the evidence etc., he believed his opinion was wrong. That does not suggest that that is work before his opinion should be null and void.

The whole UFO topic has been taboo for years, there has been very little scientific research into the phenomenon at all that I'm aware of. Hence why the reference you've provided is from data compiled in the 1950s. I wouldn't conclude much from the fact that no other research may have been conducted. We would have to rely on UAPs being identified and then cross referencing the data with what the pilots reported. These reports have only been standardised in the US military since 2019 so it may be some while before that kind of research is even possible.

But a pilot's misconception rate is incredibly important for things outsides of conspiracy theories, is it not? You would think there would much research done on it if Hynek's work was incorrect.

What makes you so sure that all 4 of them didn't see something? 3 of them have publicly said that they did. There is only one that hasn't come forward publicly. Not uncommon in these events due to the stigma attached.

You are correct, I jumped the gun. However, you are stating a lot that four pilots saw this and that, which is not factual.

Don't really get your point here.

You stated an example of a pilot catching a glimpse of something in the corner of their eye. But that is obviously not the case here, given the description that the pilot gave.

But in the Nimitz case it requires a lot of coincidence to explain that it is all mundane and simply unidentified. Not that that is impossible, but that it requires the coincidence of multiple days of radar anomalies, total misidentification of an object by multiple eyewitnesses and the capturing of IR footage of an unrelated other UAP, just seems like a lot to accept.

Strongly disagree, I wouldn't even consider it a lot of coincidence. I don't dispute that what the pilots saw is likely what's also on the camera. So there are just two things - human testimony and radar data we can't access. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

I suppose you could go through all airline accident reports from 30 years ago, see how many were found to have CRM issues as part of the cause and then compare that against the same data from 17 years ago. I'm confident that you would see a notable decrease from 30 to 17 years ago. That's sounds like a lot of work though and not something I'll be doing to prove a point to you!

So we'll just say therefore that you have another gut feeling then.

No, but do you agree that with any new concept in any field, it takes time to develop, refine and see improved results?

Every program improves over time, and pilots in 30 year's time will probably laugh at the CRM program we have today. But many programs can still be great initially and have an immediate impact, and this program even had a few years in between that incident to improve. So I would still insist on a source for this statement.

True. What I was getting at is that if this is some new phenomenon, then time will help us to understand it.

It will? How do you know? Time has not helped solve all unsolved murders. If you just have a certain set of data, time can often not help with anything.

I meant these highly unusual ones where people are claiming to have observed incredible behaviour.

Why would they ever stop? You think that humans would stop claiming to have seen unusual objects? You think that instruments will eventually become infallible?

The point is if some UAP do indeed represent an as yet unexplained new phenomenon then further recording of data related to this phenomenon will lead to better understanding of it going forward.

And that is true of an unsolved murder also. What is the difference between this

"The point is if some UAPs do indeed represent an as yet unexplained new phenomenon then further recording of data related to this phenomenon will lead to better understanding of it going forward."

and this?

"The point is if some unsolved murders do indeed represent an as yet unexplained new phenomenon then further recording of data related to this phenomenon will lead to better understanding of it going forward."

If you don't believe that unsolved murders with witnesses, CCTV etc. necessitate an unexplained phenomenon, why do you feel it is necessitated with UAPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Steve012

Irishjg wrote: »
    A good point there. We’re only really aware of about 5% of our surroundings. 95% of everything around us is practically invisible to current human tech. We could be sharing this planet with a far older more advanced race of people that can freely operate in and out of the realm of dark matter which is everywhere around us. For all we know we’re about as interesting to them as a large colony of ants. Just pure speculation of course and absolutely no way to prove it or disprove it.

FLIR top end cameras with certain filters, can pick up stuff we can't see, spirits etc.. My Psychic old friend once said to me.. the sky and air around us, are teaming with life, you just can't see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Advertisement