Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CHEAPO-ECO-MANIACS (sub-500euro)

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

job seeker wrote: »
    Would ye think that the 342k miles put off many joe soaps from buying that Octavia?

I'm referring to the Irish mentality that some people wrongly think that something with 200k miles is ready for the scrapyard.

I'd say you could put up another 160k+ miles on that Octavia easily.

100,000 kilometres would put a lot of folk off a car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

job seeker wrote: »
    Would ye think that the 342k miles put off many joe soaps from buying that Octavia?

I'm referring to the Irish mentality that some people wrongly think that something with 200k miles is ready for the scrapyard.

I'd say you could put up another 160k+ miles on that Octavia easily.
    I recall seen a video on Youtube some time back now of two identical engine's that were taken apart. One in a car with 65,000 miles that was serviced poorly if hardly at all and one with 165,000 miles that was serviced and maintained very well. The internals of the engine with 65,000 miles looked horrendous compared to that of the engine with 165,000 miles on it which seemed to have more wear on the components.

Your probably right, that kind of mileage would totally put off your average joe soap but at the end of the day its a €500 car with almost a years NCT....Things sometimes need to be put in perspective too. If money was tight and I needed a bit of a workhorse to keep me going a while and car generally checked out ok on a once over I certainly would.

The other side of it is that its important to remember that there are other mechanical ancillaries that are seldom serviced/ replaced in the normal course of events and subject to wear and tear from more use too, such as alternator's, starter motors, power steering pumps, wiper motors, gearboxes (often not serviced even by those who keep on top of their servicing better than others). Horses for courses, if the outlay was much bigger and the mileage was colossal I'd probably be less likely to take a chance unless the money was right accordingly to persuade me to take that chance. Depends on the car too, some can simply take the mileage better than others all other factors being equal. I don't like this mentality though that a car is automatically scrap after X miles. That's too broad and sweeping a generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Depending of the car, time itself and age can be the issue. Done alot of expensive repairs on my own car over the last year on engine plastics and seals which degraded. Things like crankshaft seals and other brittle plastics. More of an issue with some cars compared to others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-felicia-nct-05-22-tax-09-21/28498589

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDB9fSwia2V5IjoicGhvdG9fMTg0NjI1MzI2In0=?signature=24769a114bcd9e064fb4df70c9ffc760e9ce32bbecae5d27494a0b9a4edddb6b

1.3 Felicia estate with NCT til May 2022 and tax til September, €385

Not glamorous, but cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

God I'd love to tackle that interior and paintwork! Nice set of BBS and some lowering springs and it would be a lovely little car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not even 1 airbag in that Felica. Looks just like on Octavia MK1 from the front. It is an estate version too. Could suit someone on here. A simple basic car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Just by looking at the angle of that photo i thought it was a Mk1 Octavia!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oops! wrote: »
    Just by looking at the angle of that photo i thought it was a Mk1 Octavia!

You would do even do if they were both beside each other you would see the Octavia is a bit more detailed and more too it but still very similar.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2006 hyundai sonata petrol auto

400 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/24227058

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    2006 hyundai sonata diesel auto

400 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/24227058

Great spot. €370.gets it. NCT Sept21. A v fine car in its day, like the Galant. Not as sexy as the Galant was, but v respectable motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Except for it being petrol not diesel and only having 4 weeks NCT. Straight bodywork and not a terrible looking car but I don't think it's even worth €400 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I've a soft spot for those Sonatas. Nice cars but very thirsty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Except for it being petrol not diesel and only having 4 weeks NCT. Straight bodywork and not a terrible looking car but I don't think it's even worth €400 tbh.

€350 gets it, in the comments, lower yet.

3 months NCT. 25th September.

Less grief with an old petrol than an 06 diesel. perfect spare car.

Soft spot for them too. Like a Xedos.

Advertisement