Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ferm

Hi all. Long time lurker in a spot of bother! I'm a newbie to the home bar so please go easy on my lack of knowledge lol.

I bought a Lindr 40k and a couple of kegs for a family wedding which is this weekend. I was going to test it last night but the beer has stopped dispensing.

A bit of background.....with the Lindr devices I believed that the inbuilt air compressor would suffice and no gas was needed - such was the info on the website. A few pints pulled but quickly stopped.

I have since bought 50/50 gas and left it on at 30psi for an hour but there is still no beer in the lines.

Can you please give me some advice and guidance to get this running? Are the kegs "dead" or should they still be able to dispense with the gas now in place? I don't mind buying a new keg or 2 but the main thing is to get it running properly.

I can't post images yet as a new poster unfortunately.

Confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Had Problems with a small head on the guinness on my last keg, tried 35 to 40 pressure but no joy. Taste wasn't as good as previous either. Got a new keg today was going to ask is it too high a pressure causing the small head or the opposite?
    My 10l cyl(only 3 kegs in) is just gone out of the green and into white, I'm assuming it won't affect it until the needle is alot closer to empty? Lines cleaned 2 weeks ago so hopefully was just the keg!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

ferm wrote: »
    Hi all. Long time lurker in a spot of bother! I'm a newbie to the home bar so please go easy on my lack of knowledge lol.

I bought a Lindr 40k and a couple of kegs for a family wedding which is this weekend. I was going to test it last night but the beer has stopped dispensing.

A bit of background.....with the Lindr devices I believed that the inbuilt air compressor would suffice and no gas was needed - such was the info on the website. A few pints pulled but quickly stopped.

I have since bought 50/50 gas and left it on at 30psi for an hour but there is still no beer in the lines.

Can you please give me some advice and guidance to get this running? Are the kegs "dead" or should they still be able to dispense with the gas now in place? I don't mind buying a new keg or 2 but the main thing is to get it running properly.

I can't post images yet as a new poster unfortunately.

Confused!
    What kegs did you get?

Air only works on keykegs

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ferm

jt69er wrote: »
    What kegs did you get?

Got Carlsberg and Coors light. Had a bar owner look at it tonight but he was none the wiser. Perhaps an issue with the couplers? Is there some sort of switch off valve inside them?

• Advertisement

Got Carlsberg and Coors light. Had a bar owner look at it tonight but he was none the wiser. Perhaps an issue with the couplers? Is there some sort of switch off valve inside them?
    Those kegs wont work with the system you have. That system, as was previously stated, only works with Key Kegs where the product is forced from the kegs by the compressed air. Some of the Craft Breweries use Key Kegs, none of the regular Breweries do. There may be a way of by-passing the compressor and using regular gas but I'd need to see the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

jt69er wrote: »
    Those kegs wont work with the system you have. That system, as was previously stated, only works with Key Kegs where the product is forced from the kegs by the compressed air. Some of the Craft Breweries use Key Kegs, none of the regular Breweries do. There may be a way of by-passing the compressor and using regular gas but I'd need to see the system.

There is an inlet at the back of the unit to run the line by-passing the air compressor, I was contemplating one of these before I decided on the kegerator. In fact they actually do a version that has no air compressor at all.

If you've blown air into the beer itself then the kegs are gone.

You'll need to set it up like below

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Anyone know where I could get Guinness tap, coupler / whatever it's called, beer lines and gas regulator for cheap? Looking to turn an old fridge into a kegerator

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Question regarding gas, I’m looking to have a two tap setup at home one tap for Guinness and one for larger and I’m a bit lost on what to get. Looking online I see that I need 75% nitrogen and 25% co2 for Guinness but for larger I need a 50/50 mix.

is it ok to use the Guinness gas on a larger keg? It will it end up going flat quickly? (Also is the pressure the same for Guinness as it is most larger, ideally I don’t want to have to get two gas canisters and 2 regulators :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I think it would be better to run both on the Nitro mix, i have never done it so cant say for sure, but have heard people do it that that, the Larger might not be a bubbly.

The 75/25 is fine for the beer, never had an issue, I run guinness and coors light off same cylinder.

Bought a kegerator recently and having trouble with a big head on the guinness can't seem to sort it, tried longer hose, different pressure but nothing, seems to stay at abt 2inches. Anyone have a similar issue with the kegerator set up? Tried a different tap and everything in out of ideas🤔

The two things that can effect head size are gas and temperature, are you sure both are correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

Hi folks, 2 questions........

Is there a guinness gas regulator I can get which lets me know via a dial if gas is almost empty?

Also how much gas should be going into the system or is it a case of just twist it until u can't twist no more?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Do you currently have a setup, if so post a picture of your regulator, most have a bottle fill level gauge.

Secondly the pressure depends on the gas you are using 75/25 or 70/30, pressure will be between 29 and 38 psi

Also do you have a long line from the tap to the keg?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

Sorted thanks. Any advice on how to best clean a guinness glass? Just hot water and no detergents?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

Look up Steve Gilsenan (Guinness Global Head of Quality) on intagram. He mentioned this on his story last night.

If using dishwasher it was 3 runs I think;

• Run with just hot water
    • Next run a cycle with some Renovate
    • Final run a rinse

Or if washing by hand, just use very hot water and normal table salt. Insure when leaving glasses to dry, air can get at them. A few glass stacking mats also essential, very cheap online.

The key is to not use the glasses for anything else in the house or it will leave a coating on the inside of the glass. There is a reason why the "good" pubs would use the old Fooster or Becks glasses for the pint of Lucozade, milk, mi-wadi etc and not give it to you in a Guinness glass. Many pubs would only have hot water in their glass washers and just follow good glass care etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Hi anyone have the Lindr machine and roughly how long will a keg of Guiness last compared to regular cooler

Depends if you use a regulator and gas or the compressor

If you use a regulator and gas, same as a cooler, if you use the compressor, I believe a weekend, but I could be wrong.

Kegs will last the longest in a kegerator.

With regard to kegerator I believe you need to have keg in fridge for about 24 hours to get it cold. Could you have spare in another fridge in say the shed and if the one in the kegerator just move one out and one in or would you need to have the keg in situ without moving ?

• Advertisement

Ye it's definitely a downside. I don't think it takes as long as 24 hours but probably best to use it as a guide. I've always had my keg in for a few days before tapping it.

If you want to have a spare fridge, you'll need a large fridge for a 50l keg. An under counter fridge won't be big enough.

Kegs definitely last longer in the fridge, which is an upside.

Quick question when buying a new Guiness keg how far away should the best before date be ?

Depending on when you intend to use it really, once it's used within 4 to 6 weeks and stored correctly shouldn't be a problem.

A Guinness keg delivered today should have a best before dated mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

Again that's best before.... This still grand after 😉 Drank many a keg (over the last 2 years) a good few weeks OOD and didn't notice any difference TBH.

8-12 weeks usually on them from St James Gate. But I have seen some kegs during early December delivered to bars and best before date's were end of January (5/6 weeks was all, these came off a Guinness Truck too)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Quick question, I currently have a 2 product maxi 310 cooler. Both coils are long ones going from the diagram and would be more suited to cooling beer and I am looking to add a shorter coil to it of around 2metres for Guinness as there is already holes made in the cooler unit for 4 in 4 out pipes.

Can I just add 2 metres of 3/8" beer line pipe into the resorvoir on the inside to do this and have them come out of the holes at the front and join up?

When a Maxi 310 cooler is used in trade, beer/lager is usually double chilled therefore only one product per cooler. When used with Guinness, product is usually circulated once although Guinness is often double chilled also. I have never seen a Maxi 310 with provision for extra coils but in theory what you suggest should work although i'm not sure 2m will be enough to achieve the required temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Thanks for the reply, I will try just using the one coil with Guinness and see how well that cools I've never actually used this cooler yet so the results might not be that bad. In future I was hoping to double cool the beer and installing another coil/pipe for guinness. Instead of 2metres which you think might be too short I will probably try 4 metres as that seems to be the length of shorter coils on a 4 product maxi cooler. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Hi couple of quick questions please.

1. what dishwasher liquid are people using for beer glasses I see according to Heineken website needs to be fat and oil free liquid.
    2. second have a kegerator Guinness grand but morati pints not holding their head at all . Having to slow polar otherwise all foam using Guinness gas from star gas any ideas please

Advertisement