Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sightlines on a tertiary road for planning

• 30-06-2021 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

I'm intending on lodging a planning application for a house on a local tertiary road which is a lane in all but name.
    It was mentioned in the preplanning meeting that I'll need 65m nearside sightlines within the red line and ownership boundary lodged in the application.

If strictly staying nearside, I'm infuriatingly about 8m short of having the requirements allowing for a good deal of hedgerow realignment on my own land. Having the full 130m total would require ownership and realignment to that 8m of a 3rd party hedgerow.

Do I have any options here other than attempt to purchase the 3rd party land? The road is very, narrow, quiet and has very low traffic volumes. There's a strong chance there will be an objection lodged (don't ask) so I may assume everything will be scrutinised.

Local needs, percolation etc won't be a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,801 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I cant say what way your local planners handle these things but here in Donegal the way things work is for the applicant to get written permission from 3rd party owners consenting to the achievement and maintenance of required vision lines over their lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not an expert by any means but we're looking for planning in Mayo at the moment on an L road (default 80kph speed limit) and the architect has documented that the effective speed limit on the road is ~40kph and is using that to justify reduced sightlines

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

MacDanger wrote: »
    Not an expert by any means but we're looking for planning in Mayo at the moment on an L road (default 80kph speed limit) and the architect has documented that the effective speed limit on the road is ~40kph and is using that to justify reduced sightlines

Mayo take a sensible approach. They will generally accept reduced distances when the road is of a type where speed is likely to be lower that posted limit.
    Once the neighbouring front fence is set back enough to clear sight triangle, they are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SteadyNed

MacDanger wrote: »

Was there a traffic survey done to support that I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

SteadyNed wrote: »
    Was there a traffic survey done to support that I wonder?
    To be honest, some of these local roads are clearly never going to exceed 30 to 40 mph and the council do appear to just accept that.
    I regularly show reduced distances without issue and never needed or was asked for a traffic survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

What size of setback are oyu using when measuring the sightlines on site. Its 15 odd years since I had a small involvement in similar. I think the old RT180(?) allowed a relaxation of the set back in cases. Also its important to take into account the vertical elements i.e drivers eye height and object eye height. If it was me Id measure it on the ground using those parameters. But maybe you have, already

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Sightline issues are usually looked at by the area engineer and they report to the planner, this could vary by council though.
    If your planning agent is experienced in this local authority, they may know the engineer and you could ask them to make contact with the area office to discuss before submitting.

Advertisement