Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slurry Tank Pillars

• 30-06-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭

Can these be block built with central reinforcement and poured concrete?
    I've read elsewhere that for mixing to circulate, they need to be cylindrical - is that correct?

Going to be a 30ftx30ft tank with a support pillar in centre for the support beams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭148multi

Can these be block built with central reinforcement and poured concrete?
    I've read elsewhere that for mixing to circulate, they need to be cylindrical - is that correct?

Going to be a 30ftx30ft tank with a support pillar in centre for the support beams.

Think they are all cylindrical now, are the pillar forms expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

You can weld two steel barrels on top of each other and fix down to the floor. Run a rebar frame up the centre of it and pour away, simplest and cheapest option. Some lads will use a wide twin wall pipe but it’s mad money for a pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d go with a 20’ spine wall rather than pillars if I was doing that. You’d have two 5’ openings either side for agitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

148multi wrote: »
    Think they are all cylindrical now, are the pillar forms expensive

Dunno - haven't looked into it. Will only require 1 pillar so was going to build a pillar (with mesh and poured concrete centre) or an upended concrete pipe with similar inside.
    I like the idea of welding to 50 gallon barrels together and pouring into them.

Hoping someone will know the price of the forms. What diameter pillars are folk typically putting in?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I’d go with a 20’ spine wall rather than pillars if I was doing that. You’d have two 5’ openings either side for agitation.

Not seen many like that - got any photos - that would also require two 5ft beams at either side? Does that work with a single mixing point?
    We are going to be block building, so not sure if a block spine wall would suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭148multi

Not seen many like that - got any photos - that would also require two 5ft beams at either side? Does that work with a single mixing point?
    We are going to be block building, so not sure if a block spine wall would suit.

The steel barrels welded would be the cheapest and you'll get them free if you ask in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Just google “slatted tank spine wall” and they’ll be pictures.
    What’s the reason for building it with blocks? 22m of concrete would pour your outside walls. Roughly about €1600 plus steel. It’d be a far better job.
    €1000 will hardly buy you the blocks for the same job. Then sand, cement, labour, then plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hopefully you're not thinking of block building the tank walls...
    Major step backwards, longevity wise.
    Oh, they'll last 50 years, but the likelyhood of either leaking inwards or outwards is almost certain.
    And by the time you plaster them twice inside and outside, you'd have been cheaper pouring them.

No 100% decision on anything yet. It was likylt to be block built, but all planning is currently on the back of a cigarette packet.

How is the internal wall easier stirred than a pillar tank - or is that just for the larger tanks with multiple stir points?

Anyone know much about the Easyfix aeration system for tanks and how well they would work in a non-diary environment, plus costings?
    I doubt it would be cheap, but just pondering the feasibility of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Another option is to use your standard 2 ft shutters but turn them 90°so the point is facing the flow of the agitator. It also gives slightly more bearing for the beams

Advertisement