Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trading in 2019 Mazda CX-5 for 2021 Mazda CX-5

• 25-06-2021 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 50

It would be great to hear the opinions of anybody regarding this matter.

I bought a new Mazda CX-5 for just under €30,000 with a trade in of my 2009 Volvo in February 2019. I found it to be a good deal. I was quite happy in keeping the car now but the dealership where I bought the car got in contact with me looking to make me an offer with buying a new CX-5.

I spoke to the dealership yesterday. My car has just under 20,000km done and is in very good condition. He was willing to give me just under €25,000 for it and with extras etc, he was willing to offer me a trade in for a new Mazda for CX-5 for €10,000.

There does not seem much difference between the 2021 and 2019 versions of Mazda if I am honest with you. Mazda is not a car full of "bells and whistles" but is safe and reliable. However with depreciation etc it seems on paper a good deal. However as I am not a car expert I am wondering is it worth doing the trade in? Any questions please get in touch.

Thanks for any replys. They will help the decision making!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

10K for a newer number plate - really?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They haven't changed much alright, I think they got a few tweaks this year but there is an all new model due sometime next year so factor that into account. Also if it's diesel just remember that Mazda have dropped their diesel engine already from the 6 range and the CX-5 will be next, probably when the model gets replaced next year. With your mileage I wouldn't be even thinking diesel again.

10k to trade up 2 years to the same model is no great deal to be honest imo and they know they will sell your car for good money as used stock is hard to come by in the current market, hence why they made contact with you. If you are happy to trade up to the same car again then try and get a better deal from them but there are much newer fresher competition on the market now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is there much better in the new car? Higher spec?

€10k for a smidge over two years of driving seems outlandish to me

If it was 6k I'd take it just to cover depreciation but they are chancing their arm at 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The days for trading up 2 years for 6k are well gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 chrisfroome

Thanks for the comments. I got another email from the sales guy this evening so he is obviously desperate to sell. I agree in offering him an amount inbetween 6 and 10k and see what he says. He was the person who came to myself looking to trade in. I am happy with my car. I agree that there are other car makes are trying to reinvest in their cars while Mazda looks stagnant in its design/look!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 chrisfroome

I did not go ahead with the deal folks. I advised him that I was willing to do a deal for €8,500 and that was it in the circumstances. He rejected it and advised that it was €10,500 take it or leave it (he came to me originally!). I told him not to waste my time again and I would go elsewhere if I needed a suitable car.

The simple fact is that Mazda are producing the same cars over the last few years without much change. I have not seen any Mazda's bought in the last year. If he wants to flog a car, he needs to come up with a better offer in which I would buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

I did not go ahead with the deal folks. I advised him that I was willing to do a deal for €8,500 and that was it in the circumstances. He rejected it and advised that it was €10,500 take it or leave it (he came to me originally!). I told him not to waste my time again and I would go elsewhere if I needed a suitable car.

The simple fact is that Mazda are producing the same cars over the last few years without much change. I have not seen any Mazda's bought in the last year. If he wants to flog a car, he needs to come up with a better offer in which I would buy.

So he approached you with 10k. Then came back again with 10.5? You did right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It wouldn't be unusual for a 2019 car to be the same as a 2021. The key is whether it was a fresh design in 2019 or not.
    Most cars have a life cycle of 6 to 8 years before being replaced by a new model with a couple of tweaks at the half way stage. He made it look good by offering you 25k for a 30k purchase but on the other side the new one is 5k dearer again.
    To be honest 10k is not outlandish depreciation, 33% in 2 years, it's about the norm, possibly on the high side.
    But still, 10 grand. You prob did the right thing.

Advertisement