Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 8 : Styrian GP

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

flazio wrote: »
    The end of race celebration raised my eyebrow when it happened and it seems Michael Massi wasn't too impressed either.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-bull-receive-warning-over-verstappen-victory-celebration-burnout/6616098/

I immediately thought he would be penalised for it.

Then wondered how far ahead he was from the car behind, I saw one (not sure who) just turn the corner as he slowed but wasn't sure if there was another in between. Don't think he did it on the racing line. Where was the finish line in relation to where he stopped?
    Would other cars have been slowing anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hijpo wrote: »
    I immediately thought he would be penalised for it.

Then wondered how far ahead he was from the car behind, I saw one (not sure who) just turn the corner as he slowed but wasn't sure if there was another in between. Don't think he did it on the racing line. Where was the finish line in relation to where he stopped?
    Would other cars have been slowing anyway?

I thought the reprimand was silly but actually, he was acting the maggot while other cars were still legitimately racing to the line for position. Can't really be doing that before or near the finish line. Fair enough to reprimand him.without actually punishing him. I'm sure it didn't occur to him that it was dangerous and now everyone knows not to do it again. Win-win as nobody was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

latifi was the car right behind , only 4 other cars were on the lead lap, Lewis , Bottas , Perez and Norris ( not sure about norris)

Lewis was doing a fastest lap run so wouldn't have been slowing down , Bottas and Perez were together racing for 3rd . So they wouldn't have been slowing down either.

So risky if anything had gone wrong , Time and place really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90y6ikbCR8 , last time someone stopped early for Christian Horner to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah he probably shouldn't have done it but it wasn't that bad either.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah he probably shouldn't have done it but it wasn't that bad either.

Exactly this. Michael Masi took the right approach of telling them not to do it again without interfering in the race result. If Max or anyone else did the did the same thing again after the warning, then a punishment might be fair. But reminding them of the rules will probably sort it out

• Advertisement

Caught the race replay there not knowing what would happen. Well, not before turn 1 anyway. :pac:

Interesting catching up on the thread now that everyone seems to have done what I did and just follow Russell for the first half of the race. :pac:

****e race altogether, result makes it more palatable though. :P A step softer for each tyre next weekend will hopefully make things a bit more interesting. Hards were the tyre to be on so hopefully at least a couple of teams can get some kind of performance out of the tyres next weekend without instantly burning them up. Otherwise it'll be a tip-toe race and a repeat of this week plus a pitstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Caught the race replay there not knowing what would happen. Well, not before turn 1 anyway. :pac:

Interesting catching up on the thread now that everyone seems to have done what I did and just follow Russell for the first half of the race. :pac:

****e race altogether, result makes it more palatable though. :P A step softer for each tyre next weekend will hopefully make things a bit more interesting. Hards were the tyre to be on so hopefully at least a couple of teams can get some kind of performance out of the tyres next weekend without instantly burning them up. Otherwise it'll be a tip-toe race and a repeat of this week plus a pitstop.

Really. I throughly enjoyed it. Thought it was a great race we had lots of action in ot all throughout the field and Pierre Gasly got in Leclercs way and got a flat. His own fault. Fair play for Leclerc do to come back into the points after Pierre got in his way and damaged Leclercs wing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AMKC wrote: »
    Really. I throughly enjoyed it. Thought it was a great race we had lots of action in ot all throughout the field and Pierre Gasly got in Leclercs way and got a flat. His own fault. Fair play for Leclerc do to come back into the points after Pierre got in his way and damaged Leclercs wing.

Gasly wasn't responsibly for LeClerc damaging his front wing

Ms

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Gasly wasn't responsibly for LeClerc damaging his front wing

How do you make that out? Leclerc was coming up on the inside and Pierre Gasly moved over onto Leclercs front wing so to me that would mean it was Gaslys fault.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

How do you make that out? Leclerc was coming up on the inside and Pierre Gasly moved over onto Leclercs front wing so to me that would mean it was Gaslys fault.

Think LEC wing was damaged when he came back onto the track after turn 1, which is when Gasly got the puncture

• Advertisement
    Ms

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Think LEC wing was damaged when he came back onto the track after turn 1, which is when Gasly got the puncture

Ye maybe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ye maybe.

Wasn't it contact between lec and gasly that put lec off the track, the when he came back on his front wing nicked gaslys tire and it went on from there.

Yeah thought it was pretty poor. Felt for Gasly alright.
    Top 4/5 was boring, Perez lost out because of a pitstop, not that exciting. For large parts of the race the midfield was just bleh. Up til the stops there was a DRS train of about 8 cars within 10 seconds.

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Yeah thought it was pretty poor. Felt for Gasly alright.
    Top 4/5 was boring, Perez lost out because of a pitstop, not that exciting. For large parts of the race the midfield was just bleh. Up til the stops there was a DRS train of about 8 cars within 10 seconds.

Perez was unable to pull away from Bottas and was u lucky with the pitstop. Then he was unable to pressure Bottas and and unable to make the pitstop for soft tyres work to overtake Bottas.

With a 15 second gap from max to Hamilton at the end, we can assume the RB was a little faster this weekend. He failed to beat bottas when he started ahead and had the faster car. I doubt anyone would say he had a good weekend.

Ms

Perez was unable to pull away from Bottas and was u lucky with the pitstop. Then he was unable to pressure Bottas and and unable to make the pitstop for soft tyres work to overtake Bottas.

With a 15 second gap from max to Hamilton at the end, we can assume the RB was a little faster this weekend. He failed to beat bottas when he started ahead and had the faster car. I doubt anyone would say he had a good weekend.

The gap from Max to Hamilton was bigger than that. It was 35 seconds. I know because Coulthard I think it was said Hamilton won it last year by 33 seconds and now Max has won it with a 35 second gap.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The gap from Max to Hamilton was bigger than that. It was 35 seconds. I know because Coulthard I think it was said Hamilton won it last year by 33 seconds and now Max has won it with a 35 second gap.

Hamilton pitted on the second last lap which added 20 about seconds to it. It was about 15 or 16 seconds before that pitstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Max also pitted in the final laps in 2020 to get fastest lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Max also pitted in the final laps in 2020 to get fastest lap.

No he didn't. Perez pitted to try and chase down Bottas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

flazio wrote: »
    No he didn't. Perez pitted to try and chase down Bottas.

He said last year, not this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My bad.

• Advertisement

https://streamable.com/7wicfy

Good Lad Stroll . This is the Third or 4th time Alonso and Stroll have had a good battle .

OSI wrote: »
    He's developing pretty well as a driver Stroll. Great view of LeClerc destroying Gasly's race to.

He can certainly have good moments, but he's just coming off three stinker weekends in a row. And that's the problem - lack of consistency. He doesn't make silly rookie errors anymore, which is appropriate given he is in his 5th season in F1.

He shows glimpses of good stuff like in that clip above (good, hard racing, without any silly errors) but he's also not good enough, often enough to be a top tier or even second tier driver. Plus he does things like quali in france where he had 2 runs in Q1 and ballsed them both up (both for track limits or one mistake and one track limits? The third run was red flagged but the problem was his first 2 runs). I think he's the most likely candidate to have 2 shots at quali and make a balls of the both.

His race starts are the best on the grid though.

He has improved , I think it was in Austria last year he was stuck behind Ricciardo for a number of laps and just couldnt get the over take done , and Perez caught up and done it in one . He was always good on Tires and Pace but need the Race craft for over taking to improve , I think he has that pretty much down this year as he seems to make progress through the field with both Tire maintenance in long runs and also on track over takes .

I think he might be Second behind Lando on over takes on track this year. which is pretty good for a midfield driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Perez was catching Bottas at 2 seconds a lap and if they'd pitted him earlier he would have easily passed him and been on the podium, he would also have had 3rd if they hadn't messed up his stop, that cost him almost 3 seconds. But sure you've dug this hole so deep now you can never get out of it so you might as well keep digging. Can't wait to see average driver Perez finish in the top 3 in the championship.

Perez was catching Bottas at 2 seconds a lap and if they'd pitted him earlier he would have easily passed him and been on the podium, he would also have had 3rd if they hadn't messed up his stop, that cost him almost 3 seconds. But sure you've dug this hole so deep now you can never get out of it so you might as well keep digging. Can't wait to see average driver Perez finish in the top 3 in the championship.

Ok. 2 seconds a lap is an exaggeration (and exaggeration is the basis of the Perez argument). In case you're interested in the reality of the situation, he did 17 laps on the mediums and made up a total of 21 seconds. So he was an average of about 1.3 seconds a lap faster on the fresher, softer tyres. And maybe Red Bull should have pitted him earlier. He caught Bottas but ultimately didn't make the strategy work. A better driver would have caught and picked-off Bottas who was on 44 lap old hard tyres vs 17 lap old mediums.

I'm just reporting what happened. Apologies if you preferred the version where he was 2 seconds a lap faster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Can't wait to see average driver Perez finish in the top 3 in the championship.
    Average driver Bottas has already finished 2nd in the championship.

Where you finish in the championship is probably at least 80% dictated by the car you're driving. Where you finish relative to your team mate is what's important.

Average driver Bottas has already finished 2nd in the championship.

Where you finish in the championship is probably at least 80% dictated by the car you're driving. Where you finish relative to your team mate is what's important.

And perez might finish third this year and I think most people would be happy for him if he does. He's been plugging away for years and he's a likeable guy. For lots of people, likeability is factored into how good a driver is and they tend to overrated the more likeable drivers.

Finishing third in the championship in, what appears to be, the slightly better car, is not a huge achievement. It's what you'd expect from an average-slightly above average driver. A top tier driver would be leading the championship, as Max is. A second tier driver would be pushing Lewis which Perez isn't near doing. Perez is competing with Bottas for third in the championship, which is about right for him.

Having the better car than bottas and finishing behind bottas in the championship would be pretty damning.

Advertisement