Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plastic collection

• 28-06-2021 9:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's a few counties with no bring centers organized yet due to a re-cycling company pulling out. https://www.farmplastics.ie/bring-centre-calendar/

Just wondering what are our options for people with plastic and no where close to bring it? Will the collection centers in nearby counties be able to cope if farmers with no local service all go to them?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

blue5000 wrote: »
    There's a few counties with no bring centers organized yet due to a re-cycling company pulling out. https://www.farmplastics.ie/bring-centre-calendar/

Just wondering what are our options for people with plastic and no where close to bring it? Will the collection centers in nearby counties be able to cope if farmers with no local service all go to them?

Probably able to manage those who'll travel, but I can't see too many farmers with 30K tractor/trailer loads traveling too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Hang tough blue. Could be similar for us this year. Instead of early June, moving to late August early September like last year. Covid lockdown has f**ked the calender

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Well lads, if ye could organise for 4 or 5 farmers in your area to come together, Honan Waste Recycling in Doonbeg Co. Clare might be an option, depending on your location in the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Well lads, if ye could organise for 4 or 5 farmers in your area to come together, Honan Waste Recycling in Doonbeg Co. Clare might be an option, depending on your location in the country.

Does it have to go across a weigh bridge or can they weigh it with the grab?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

honan just bulk it on appearance , so if you have a nice tidy well compacted pile you will probarbly fare out best , take netting , plastic bags , containers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

No the way he normally does it is if you have it in 1 tonne bags or the cubes made from pallets filled. For example we had 3 cubes of silage wrap, well compacted. He will also take fert bags with the plastic wrap. Net wrap would be separate

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

I just hire a skip, throw plastic, netting and any other rubbish lying around into it over a weekend that suits myself. It is more expensive but a hell of a lot more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

thefareast wrote: »
    I just hire a skip, throw plastic, netting and any other rubbish lying around into it over a weekend that suits myself. It is more expensive but a hell of a lot more convenient.

Fcuk the environment, sure an aul skip is handier

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

Fcuk the environment, sure an aul skip is handier
    I don't know what you think a skip is, but I hire one from a regulated waste management company who take it to a licensed facility for recycling. I agree with your last point, it is handier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

thefareast wrote: »
    I don't know what you think a skip is, but I hire one from a regulated waste management company who take it to a licensed facility for recycling. I agree with your last point, it is handier!

Apologies, Jumped the gun and assumed it went for landfill

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Apologies, Jumped the gun and assumed it went for landfill
    I asked my waste disposal destination where the stuff went .
    Clean Plastic . Triple rinsed containers are shredded and mixed with wood chip and are burnt in a cement factory and the ash goes in the cement .
    Domestic waste generally goes to landfill as it is cheaper than incineration . He segregates out stuff . timber steel and anything he sees that has a value elsewhere . He uses a rubber duck with a grab on it to pull out stuff . I was tipping a trailer and he reached into to pull out something that took his interest . He also runs stuff through a trummell which is basically a rotary screen .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Updated calendar for those of us who had no local collection points earlier in the year.

Advertisement