Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Has anyone tried the Colombian direct trade from Art of Coffee? It's pricey but the discount code (expires June 14th) is tempting me - plus it's roasted for filter:

https://artofcoffee.ie/product/colombia-narino-finca-la-piedra/

whats the discount code?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Bought a bag of Art of Coffee Smooth after all the hype here. Its very nice in espresso. But even more impressive is that it was so easy to dial in and I get almost no channelling on AOC beans versus Badger and Dodo. Been drinking B&D for years and immediatly noticed a difference with channelling.

Anybody else noticed this and know what aspect of the coffee would cause that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bought a bag of Art of Coffee Smooth after all the hype here. Its very nice in espresso. But even more impressive is that it was so easy to dial in and I get almost no channelling on AOC beans versus Badger and Dodo. Been drinking B&D for years and immediatly noticed a difference with channelling.

One thing that springs to mind is moisture content. Ultra dry powders tend to repel water initially while those with some initial moisture wet out relatively easily. Oilyness might possibly be the another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I have been trying cloudpicker and chatting to there people (I go to the roaster to buy), one of there's, SAM I think was very hard dial in v Formation which is very easy and consistent.

When I mentioned it one of their team said 'ah yes the higher acidity really makes it more difficult'.

Possible reason for why beans are varying when it comes to consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Love love love the Columbian single origin from Ponaire ... I buy 4 x 250g bags at a time.

BUT .... I find that by the time I get to the 3rd bag .... it's lost it's freshness and doesn't taste near as good as the first.
    Any ideas why?

Anyhow going to give ArtOfCoffee a twist .... going with the Smooth. Any other of their beans that you would recommend for an Espresso?

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Love love love the Columbian single origin from Ponaire ... I buy 4 x 250g bags at a time.

BUT .... I find that by the time I get to the 3rd bag .... it's lost it's freshness and doesn't taste near as good as the first.
    Any ideas why?

Anyhow going to give ArtOfCoffee a twist .... going with the Smooth. Any other of their beans that you would recommend for an Espresso?

Coffee ages fast - why roast date is important, mind you sealed separate bags should help counteract that.

Maybe freeze the ones not in use...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Any ideas why?

Fusion blend is really nice from AOC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Coffee ages fast - why roast date is important, mind you sealed separate bags should help counteract that.

Maybe freeze the ones not in use...

Freeze???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Freeze???

Yup. Squeeze akk the air out you can. Maybe put in a ziplock bag too and make sure there's no air in that. Put in the freezer. Day before you want to use it, take it out. They'll be fresher than just leaving bag in the press.

Check with the roaster too though. Some say certain roasts taste their best after x amount of days

Any ideas why?

I usually buy 2-3 kg at a time. It all goes in the freezer and then it's straight from freezer to grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

cnocbui wrote: »
    I usually buy 2-3 kg at a time. It all goes in the freezer and then it's straight from freezer to grinder.

You don't even let it thaw??? :eek::eek::eek:

You don't even let it thaw??? :eek::eek::eek:

No. Grinder takes care of that, double time. :)

Friction generates heat.

World rocked

World rocked

Yup I always break down a kilo bag, have some airtight containers I use. Does the job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I prefer to order 500g bags. I've used Ponaire, Dream Bean and others. Tried Soma this time. Probably did not save a cent but I'm expecting good coffee.

Are there any other places doing 500g bags online I should consider? Seems to be less common, a lot of places I was thinking of trying are either 250g or 1kg.

I prefer to order 500g bags. I've used Ponaire, Dream Bean and others. Tried Soma this time. Probably did not save a cent but I'm expecting good coffee.

Are there any other places doing 500g bags online I should consider? Seems to be less common, a lot of places I was thinking of trying are either 250g or 1kg.

WCC do them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

Maher's

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ordered from Art of Coffee on Thursday and paid the additional 10e for next day delivery as I was out and wanted beans for the weekend..

Order is still not here and they've not replied to any of my emails. Shocking service. Have asked for full refund.

Anybody try the good beans new release?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've ordered from Soma and I can see it has shipped via GLS. I've had horrendous experiences with GLS before, so will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Shipping is pretty important. Coffee Angel are the winners for me, usually same day delivery in the Dublin area by the owner on his way home from work! I presume that doesn't work for all addresses but we seem to be lucky with where we are.

• Advertisement

I'm in Cork and generally I've found most are next day or two days. I don't mind that lag so much as I generally order shortly before I run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Anybody try the good beans new release?

Their Guatemalan coffee is gone from the site, and it was lovely. Hopefully just out of stock and not discontinued.

Their Guatemalan coffee is gone from the site, and it was lovely. Hopefully just out of stock and not discontinued.

No idea.
    They have Honduras now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ordered from Art of Coffee on Thursday and paid the additional 10e for next day delivery as I was out and wanted beans for the weekend..

Order is still not here and they've not replied to any of my emails. Shocking service. Have asked for full refund.

That’s unusual. I find even their regular delivery very quick. And service is good too.

Their Ethiopian was/is lovely too

Reference/meet me in the morning have nomad in stock this week (Barcelona based).
    It's pricey enough, but last bag I had, a Mexican one was super

Just came across Lab82 who offer free delivery over 30 euro: https://www.lab82.ie/

Anyone tried them? The Brazil filter looks nice at 36 euro for 1kg and free delivery

They just informed me that they’re quite proud of the new Honduran coffee and the Guatemalan will be back too in a few weeks

Slattsy wrote: »

They use Fastway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

They use Fastway

They shouldn't be offering next day delivery if it can't be guaranteed.

Advertisement