Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it too late to go back racing???

• 28-06-2021 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I am 37 years old. I have raced before. I have raced A4 and got upgraded to A3 in one year and was about 3 points off A2 in 2017 before I packed it in. I did about 3 races since after 2017 as an A3 but there was a huge dip in my fitness then and I lost the love for racing training and cycling. I have nothing done in over 2 years now and my mental health had taken a turn and things changed with my own life too with work and I didn't have the time and energy to train. Basically I fell out with love of what I enjoyed doing.

I was at a race recently and the buzz of competing hit me afterwards. Suddenly I wanted to do the thrill and buzz of racing again. Probably too ambitious but can I get back to where I was a few years ago? Is it possible? I actually miss cycling and racing deep down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

44 year old A3 here so yeah of course you could get back. First things first get back on the bike & see how things goes regarding getting the buzz back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

45 year old here who is probably going to give open racing another lash after really enjoying the buzz of the club league (couldn't do it for a couple of years because of family commitments). I don't have any great depth of experience.

Plenty a lot older than me still open racing, and still way way stronger than me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

I wouldn't even consider your age in this situation, you're plenty young. We had a 50 year old get to A1 recently, that does seem an exception but there loads of awl lads racing. Best of luck with the new project. Get back on the bike this summer, put in some hard winter training and have the legs ready for next spring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

Definitely not too late.

43 years old. A3. Well able to hold my own.

Never raced a bike until Local league in 2018.
    Got a full licence in 2019 and got upgraded to A3.

Didn't race at all last year but back at it again now.
    Thing for me is not to take it overly seriously. I train well and try to be as fit as time allows. Plenty work to be done and progress to be made but all in its own good time.

It's just a bit of fun and as long as I enjoy it and have time to train I'll stay at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I remember your posts here when you started racing. Good to see you back.

Just jump back in. You've still got your race experience and the fitness will come back pretty fast once you get dropped a few times :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do it, that's it, that is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭deco36

Never too late. Went back racing a in 2017 after years of doing nothing. Raced with the vets and in cycling ireland races. Had a few wins and really enjoyed it. Once you get a decent level of fitness back you quickly get addicted again.

In the same boat as you right now and just starting to get back out again and hoping to get back racing again next year.

Advertisement