Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TdF 2021 - Stage 3 - Lorient-Pointivy

• 28-06-2021 9:10am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First flat stage and one for the sprinters with no GC action you'd think.

Last 2.5 km has 3 tight turns, but nothing much after 1.5km. Weather is due to be absolute cack though. Rain and Thunderstorms

TDF21_PROFILS_ETAPES_SANS_RAVITO_ETP03_1024x1024.jpg?v=1624718492

Ewan is the favourite, with Demare up there too and Cavendish hoping to p!ss on all our chips, Merlier too, but his team may just want to keep VdP safe for a few days in yellow

Again, a crap lazy preview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Flat days just aren't the same without Sammy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Tim76 wrote: »
    Flat days just aren't the same without Sammy :(

Yeah, I've sort of tuned out from the tour this year because of it.... At least we have the euro's and the lion's tour (if you're into them) to distract us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ewan to demolish everyone.

Alpecin Fenix have brought two sprinters that have been assigned different stages. Merlier will be pissed if they don't go all in for him today. The team would fully expected to have been in yellow today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

happytramp wrote: »
    Yeah, I've sort of tuned out from the tour this year because of it....
    Definitely taken the edge off it for me. And the youngest who got really into the sprints last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The section from 5.5 km to 2.5km to the finish will be fun. Not very wide (5-6m in parts), a few twists & turns and around 4-5% downhill. Add in a little rain and DQS & Lotto driving it on. I'd be amazed if there isn't another bunch crash.

An absolute dragstrip of a finishing straight - I don't think Morkov's pilot-fish skills will be of much use, its going to be down to Watts. Plus Cav is probably going to fall off anyway.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Definitely taken the edge off it for me. And the youngest who got really into the sprints last year.

Mine are the same but they really just like seeing someone put their arms in the at the end and get a new jersey. They think the idea of getting a jersey is the business.

I had to explain to the 3y/o that Sam wasn't there this year, she just wanted know if Sam's mammy put a plaster on his sore knee :D

Thankfully she didn't see the crashes on Saturday or I'd still be explaining, why? how did they fall? why? Did they get a plaster and on and on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mine are old enough that they had seen the crashes all over tictok and instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

red_ken wrote: »
    Alpecin Fenix have brought two sprinters that have been assigned different stages. Merlier will be pissed if they don't go all in for him today. The team would fully expected to have been in yellow today anyway.

I think Philipsen is a better sprinter than Merlier on that team tbh

Neither of them can touch Ewan unless he has a mechanical etc

I’m with the majority fwiw. I’ll watch the ending but last year I was making sure I saw the intermediates and break formation etc. Sprint stages hold little appeal now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah, don't be so quick to pull the rug out from under it. If pro cycling has taught us anything it's that the script often goes out the window!

Let's at least see what Schelling the Jester has planned for us! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Dodge wrote: »
    I think Philipsen is a better sprinter than Merlier on that team tbh

Neither of them can touch Ewan unless he has a mechanical etc

I’m with the majority fwiw. I’ll watch the ending but last year I was making sure I saw the intermediates and break formation etc. Sprint stages hold little appeal now

I'll have it on in the background while I work, same as I did with the Giro. One advantage is my heart rate will be lower during the sprints this time around!

MVDP going all out today

xSh5WUrrsGiyFW8BC7jKUP.jpeg

173939278_5895964923777144_7409726115442920203_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=nYtxeTyHIAsAX_jJKe9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5fe601e729b6af6d9cc07dd5eaec6160&oe=60DDE978

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah DEADLY!!!

I was thinking yesterday, and wondered aloud to the mrs if they'd have a yellow aeroad for him for today!!

Gosh I wonder how that works at all - would they have had that ready to rock on the off-chance or would it have been a panic-stations all-nighter prep job from the end of the stage yesterday?!

GCN Fashion Watch: Today, Bradley will be mostly wearing a rollneck sweater from his "Open University Pure Mathematics Lecturer" collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ah DEADLY!!!

I was thinking yesterday, and wondered aloud to the mrs if they'd have a yellow aeroad for him for today!!

Gosh I wonder how that works at all - would they have had that ready to rock on the off-chance or would it have been a panic-stations all-nighter prep job from the end of the stage yesterday?!

Maybe that’s why he was so crestfallen after stage one. He knew they had spent all that time preparing the bike for him :D

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ah DEADLY!!!

I think the odds were reasonably high that VDP would have gone into yellow over the weekend so the frame was probably already prepped and in the truck

Schelling looking around one of the Lotto lads giving him a nod to say "go on, away you go"

Schelling is going to be shagged by Week 3

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

retalivity wrote: »
    Schelling is going to be shagged by Week 3Friday

Fixed there for you

G looks like he might be done for :eek:

Tony Martin down again too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

hard man, battling on there

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

He does seem to have gotten back on the bike though..... but he really didn't look good when he was sat on the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

G looks like he might be done for :eek:

Tony Martin down again too :(

Surprised he got back on.

Poor Tony Martin not having a good tour so far either

3 mins behind the peloton and nobody coming back to bring him up by the look of things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

back on the bike. tony martin down as well.

GT and crashes. hand in hand

Luke Rowe was down in that crash aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

put his right hand down there to tighten the shoe. might be hope

Gesink abandons.
    Thomas looks like he's just riding up to a point to jump in the car

That's the INEOS leadership sorted

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    put his right hand down there to tighten the shoe. might be hope

Yeah right arm seems ok but he's not gaining any time on the peloton. Interesting comments from Bernie Eisel, that Luke Rowe initially signaled G was out.

edit...now Luke Rowe is back to help him so they must fancy his chances of getting back

Advertisement