Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Solid weekend of pints saying goodbye to old colleagues. The weigh in tomorrow isnt going to be good but its a beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Solid weekend of pints saying goodbye to old colleagues. The weigh in tomorrow isnt going to be good but its a beginning.

Know the feeling, had a boozy, snack/junk food weekend.

Trying to do some squats at the minute (where is the puke emoji!!)

Love/hate squats. Now burpees and me have serious issues.

I dusted off a plate carrier so when I get back from leave will go for walks, maybe even a jog with that on. Ditto for squats and burpees. I will die.

01 May: 88.2kg /194.4lbs
    02 May: 87.4kg/192.7lbs
    18 May: 86.6kg/190.9lbs
    25 May: +0.7kg/ 1.54lbs
    01 Jun: +0.0kg/0.0lbs*
    07 Jun: -0.4kg/0.88lbs
    16 Jun: -0.3kg/ 0.66lbs
    29 Jun: +1.7kg/3.75lbs (So over my weight of 01 May, 88.2kg, now two months wasted)

I go on holidays for in a week and half for 3.5 weeks. I know I will go mad on holidays. Scary stuff.

I go on holidays for in a week and half for 3.5 weeks. I know I will go mad on holidays. Scary stuff.

Worry/think about it when you get back mate. After holidays is always a good time to hit reset and get back on the wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Myself & the Mrs are rejoining the gym for the first time since before we were married. Personally I spent too long in them when younger so am not overly keen on the idea but really need to start doing something to focus my efforts as the running isnt happening these days at all, and the bit of cycling & trining with the kids isnt getting me in the right headspace to cut out the junk eating... so time for a reset.... want to do more swimming lessons too so its as well to combine the lot in one package.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »
    Month 1: -2.6lbs
    Month 2: -2.8lbs
    Month 3: -4.0lbs
    Month 4: +1.6lbs
    Week 18: +2.4lbs

Another week another gain. Great craic beering at the weekend so I can’t expect much else really. If ever there was proof that you can’t out train a bad diet it’s here. I was in the gym 5 times in the last week taking my average up to 4½ times a week since the gyms reopened. I have to refocus on the food and stop going out for pints :pac:

01 May: 88.2kg /194.4lbs
    02 May: 87.4kg/192.7lbs
    18 May: 86.6kg/190.9lbs
    25 May: +0.7kg/ 1.54lbs
    01 Jun: +0.0kg/0.0lbs*
    07 Jun: -0.4kg/0.88lbs
    16 Jun: -0.3kg/ 0.66lbs
    29 Jun: +1.7kg/3.75lbs (So over my weight of 01 May, 88.2kg, now two months wasted
    06 July: -1.4kg/3.09lbs (86.6)

Diet has not been great but the pints have been reduced. I have been lifting quite a bit, horrible lifts which I usually avoid, a lot of squats and leg lifts. Trying to use the biggest muscles in the body to burn the most cals.

I have pals over Thursday for drink and takeaway. Then fly back to Ireland on Saturday!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Love/hate squats. Now burpees and me have serious issues.

I dusted off a plate carrier so when I get back from leave will go for walks, maybe even a jog with that on. Ditto for squats and burpees. I will die.

I actually like doing squats once the first couple of days of soreness are over.

So I bit the bullet and I've signed up to a gym that just goes PT and classes only. Starting with 10 weekly PT and 3 classes a week and I'll see how I go from there.

I started last Wednesday so my first Weigh In at the gym is tomorrow, excited to see how I got on. Nutrition wise I'm just using My Fitnesspal as advised for more long term loss.

Feeling good as I kept within my calories every day and gave it my all in the classes and my god did the first few hurt!! Had to do something drastic I was at my biggest weight ever and there was no slowing down, so hopefully something drastic will push me back in the other direction.

Myself & the Mrs joined our local gym on Sunday, not normally a gym person but they have a gorgeous 25m pool aswell & do 1 on 1 adult swimming lessons as well which I'll definitely be availing of. As I'm struggling to get back into the running outdoors with all my niggling injuries I discussed it with my friend who's a physio who recommended I start resistance training moreso than cardio for me to get my core strength back up, as this would be of more benfit to me as I head rapidly towards the half century. But either way, for the cost per month I'll be working my ass off to get the value for money.

The funny thing is by simply cutting out the bad eating I've lost 5 lbs and am only 3lbs over my old 'walking around' weight as I used to call it... aiming for my old 'running' weight though which means I've 8lbs to lose... but as per the above am looking to tone up and boost my strength moreso now. So we'll see how we go.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »

I wasn’t as bad this week with my food and no big sessions. I was up a bit last week so I doubled down on the gym and went 6 times and even asked my instructor to up all my resistances. Because I lost so much this week my scales was asking me was it actually me :pac: I’m almost, not quite, back on track with my original target of 0.6lbs a week

Week 19: -5.8lbs

I’ll get off lightly for this one with the new site layout 😜 Bad week because of visitors the day before my weigh-in. Another good week in the gym though. Averaging over 5 times a week now

Edit: Not sure what’s up with the formatting below 😷

Week 20: +4lbs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Since we’ve been gone I’m now starting week 3 of my PT sessions/classes.

Week 1: -3lbs

Week 2: -2.5lbs

more importantly I am down 5.5lbs in the same time too

Have my own weigh in tomorrow morning, but judging by the mid week scales I'm back on track for being under 12 stone again (so a 6lb loss)... have to admit joining the gym has given me the motivation to crack down on the diet along with the workouts so i'm definitely feeling better than I was even a month ago. Can feel my cardio improving again and am loving the weights, I had gotten sick of them after years of them back in my Hockey days but the break seems to have done me good as I'm actually enjoying working out with them again. Fingers crossed now I can maintain the buzz and keep it going.

Good to hear it's going well.

Starting to lift weights properly about 5/6 years ago is one of the best things I ever did. I definitely think it has helped me in my 40's to stay fit and feel better about myself.

Well, it was going well until we had a couple of BBQ's over the weekend and had mince pies with vanilla ice cream as dessert... throw in a handful of pale ale's... well you can see where I'm going with this 😃 did manage 2 gym sessions over the w/e too though & will be back down tonight so hoping I wont have done too much damage.

I am noticing a difference in my clothes though, able to fit into my slim fit stuff again which is a pleasant surprise in such a short amount of time... The Mrs is enjoying the gym too which is a real boost as we push each other to go so we're developing a routine that seems to be working so far.

One other thing, I know treadmill running is nowhere near as hard as road running, but my god, the difference to my knees... bliss.

A little bit up again this week. I had to take a couple of days off work as my eldest had to go in for a covid test. The creche was riddled with a viral infection and half of them had to get tested. Not covid at least. Gym is still going well 🏋️ I was disappointed I only got to go 4 times in the last week

I know there are a couple of mods that look in here and it's more a site issue than thread or forum but the new spacing is driving me demented. It's like it's set to 1.5 or 2.0 or something? Horrible to look at

Week 20: +4lbs

Week 21: +0.4lbs

Week 3: -4lbs

Happy with that. Avoided temptation over the nice weather. But feeling slightly run down now.

Down c.10lbs in 3 weeks... that's good work. Well done. the 4lbs in one week in this heat will leave you a tad fatigued alright, I'd be expecting that sure I feel it myself the last couple of days. I managed a 5k run on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the cross trainer & a weights session last night, felt knackered last night and was sure I'd sleep like a baby, but the heat had other ideas and I had a broken sleep so feeling it today.

Lack of carbs will also lead to a lack of energy.

• Advertisement

To be fair I haven’t skimped on the carbs. I think it was more the fact I gymed 5 days last week. Work was hectic and heat was roaring causing me to pick up a wee bit of man flu 😷

2 years ago but still good today. A wee bit of motivation 😃

Motivation is always good... though if I lost 5 stone I'd be basically a head on a pile of bones 🤣

I need to be somewhere between the 1.5 & 2lbs a week loss kind of guy 😂😂

Sounds a bit like me in reverse from about the 21st Dec till New Years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

1 lb a week would have me in my happy place. I did manage to lose 12 lbs in the last 12 weeks, so if I can keep that up I'll be grand. I am of course ignoring the fact that my birthday last week allowed me a week off to put on 3lbs 😕

This week down west is undoing all my good work in the gym big time, dreading to see the damage on the scales when we get home tomorrow... reckon I'll hit the gym tomorrow evening to get straight back into the groove. No pints now for a while either... plenty of guinness going down a treat.

Post edited by DvB on

I'm the opposite, vomiting bug going round our house last few days and hit me last night so definitely feel like i have lost a few lbs!

Enjoy the break and the pints pal. I’m eagerly awaiting going off plan haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ugh God love you....it's doing the rounds, my mam had it last week & was absolutely dying.

Advertisement