Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planned C Section NMH Holles St during Covid

• 11-04-2021 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Can anyone tell me what their procedure was like and the days following, with regards to partners presence during it and the days that followed? Especially if you went private during the last year. If you are left waiting for your section can partner be there too? Does he get to stay after?

Also is it true you get lots of alone /rest time in your room in the days that follow when you go private... that the midwives look after the baby for you at night etc? I heard this but doesn't seem right!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

FA101 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what their procedure was like and the days following, with regards to partners presence during it and the days that followed? Especially if you went private during the last year. If you are left waiting for your section can partner be there too? Does he get to stay after?

Also is it true you get lots of alone /rest time in your room in the days that follow when you go private... that the midwives look after the baby for you at night etc? I heard this but doesn't seem right!

Hi,

Am also interested in this. Did you find out ? Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

In our parents day the midwives used to take them at night.Not really done now, I was semi private in Rotunda and you keep the baby regardless of how you gave birth, unless there is a problem of some sort.Can't answer the other, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

I was private in the Coombe on my last baby (and this one too) and midwives took my baby every night I was in (4 in total) so I could recover after the section. That was pre-covid but its not just something that happened in our mother's times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I hand a planned C in holles st a few years ago. The midwives did take the baby for a few hours the first night, ie took baby after a feed and brought her back for her next feed. It was about 3 hours. This was on the private ward. In retrospect I regret letting them take her as I could have just used the call bell to call them if I needed help. I had baby with me all the time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gupta

Not in Holles Street but I had a section and baby stayed with me 24/7. If you are planning to breastfeed having them take the baby overnight for feeds etc isn't a great plan as you risk missing feeds and delaying establishing supply. If you're formula feeding it's fine, but unless you don't feel well enough to mind baby overnight due to pain etc I can't see why they'd suggest it, getting to cuddle your baby overnight when you've just had them is one of the best bits of being stuck in hospital after a section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Was private in the Coombe a number of years ago with a scheduled section and the midwives took the baby for a few hours the first night, I was breastfeeding so they brought him back when he was hungry.

Was grateful as he had a particularly explosive nappy and they had to give him a full change and bath, doubt I would have been able for it that first night! I had him with me the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Induced in Holles St last December, semi private and not C-section...but my experience was as follows.

Husband came in for birth, checking in and initial check I had to go in for alone. (And waiting for induction meds to start labour but you won't have that wait)
    Visitation is very liberal, obviously only partner is allowed in, but mine and other husband's on the ward were allowed to stay all day, no time limits like I've heard of in other hospitals.
    Nurses will take baby at night for a few hours if you want to get some rest and bring baby to you for feeding, it's completely optional though and the wards are so quiet at the moment it's not really needed. They are exceptionally helpful.
    If you plan on breastfeeding be sure to ask for the lactation consultant visit straight away, the midwives will help but some are not quite up to date with current advice and can sometimes different nurses offer conflicting advice. You probably won't be offered a visit with the LC unless you run into issues, but a visit at the start can just prevent any confusion or issues.

If you have any particular questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Best of luck!!

Advertisement