Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 8 : Styrian GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I could have painted the front wall and watched it dry.

You could have streamed it and I would have watched :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

skipper_G wrote: »
    Feels more like an afternoon wasted than an afternoon invested

Agreed.

But what a drive from Max.
    He must be considered the best driver on the grid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

LeClerc was fun at least

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He ruined Galsy's race and they gave him driver of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Red Bull went a few laps too.late on the 2nd stop with Perez

I actually thought they’d leave Perez out and hope his tyre management would set him up for an overtake late on or else pull him in with a few laps to go and have a go at fastest lap then but it’s all hindsight.

They do seem more proactive in the last few races in making calls and are outgunning merc on the strategy side. Bad pit stop cost them 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭flazio

MadYaker wrote: »
    He ruined Galsy's race and they gave him driver of the day?

Don't look at me, I voted for Norris.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

…and now it rains!

A pity that didn’t happen earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

The Red Bull still struggles to match the Merc in Perez’ hands, but Verstappen is just in a class of one. Haven’t really seen these kind of driving performances at the head of the championship since Schumacher was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Redbull well head . Max is doing his version of Lewis tires only it's his brakes. Little bit dull race . I mean Max half a lap ahead (I know Lewis pitted) but half lap still and then some to Perez and Bottas.

Good Drives from Norris , Sainz, Stroll and Leclecre needed to pay us all back with some overtakes after clipping Gasly at the start and a chain reaction ruining a few ppls races.

Poor today we're Vettel , Riccardo (looked good for a bit and then disappeared) ,Ocon .

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Biggest thing for me was with 2 laps to go and Perez/Bottas battling they decide to show and follow Hamilton pitting for new softs for fastest lap.

Even the commentary were following the quickly reducing timesheet between Bottas and Perez yet the TV director was still following Lewis, only to cut suddenly to Max at the chequered flag and then the battle for 3rd!

Nearly as bad as the Stroll cutaway in Monaco!

I thought it was a decent enough race - didn’t mind the lack of battle at front as it was RB for a change. Some good overtaking, especially LEC despite IMO being lucky for not getting a penalty or more damage for his collision with GAS.

Great championship this year so far though! Makes every point count!

• Advertisement

Did the stewards even "note" the incident between LeClerc and Gasly? And then clipping Raikkonens wing. Lucky to come out of this without so much as a Black and White Flag.

Sainz did very well. He's not going to be a willing No.2 if Ferrari get competitive.

flazio wrote: »
    Did the stewards even "note" the incident between LeClerc and Gasly? And then clipping Raikkonens wing. Lucky to come out of this without so much as a Black and White Flag.

Sainz did very well. He's not going to be a willing No.2 if Ferrari get competitive.

They did note it , no further action , racing incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

flazio wrote: »

Yes, within a lap there was a note saying “no investigation necessary for turn 3 incident”. However, and the commentators even said it, the incident that caused it all happened well before turn 3.

Agree re Sainz. Ferrari have 2 very capable and ambitious drivers so can see some nervy internal battles as the season goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Joeface wrote: »
    Redbull well head . Max is doing his version of Lewis tires only it's his brakes. Little bit dull race . I mean Max half a lap ahead (I know Lewis pitted) but half lap still and then some to Perez and Bottas.

Good Drives from Norris , Sainz, Stroll and Leclecre needed to pay us all back with some overtakes after clipping Gasly at the start and a chain reaction ruining a few ppls races.

Poor today we're Vettel , Riccardo (looked good for a bit and then disappeared) ,Ocon .

Danny Ric spent 2 straights fixing a power issue. Think next week will determine how his season is going to go

Yeah it was strange to see Leclerc get driver of the day when Sainz had a better race and honestly he was lucky not to get a penalty.

Danny Ric spent 2 straights fixing a power issue. Think next week will determine how his season is going to go

Lando could have had the same issue and still finished fifth though because losing a couple of seconds wouldn’t have lost any places, except to Bottas and Sergio. It’s a convenient excuse but the problem was that he was in the midfield where a loss like that comes at a huge cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

quokula wrote: »
    Lando could have had the same issue and still finished fifth though because losing a couple of seconds wouldn’t have lost any places, except to Bottas and Sergio. It’s a convenient excuse but the problem was that he was in the midfield where a loss like that comes at a huge cost.

He lost way more then a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

He lost way more then a few seconds.

Loosing the seconds is different from loosing positions. He was behind Alonso when it happened.

Big nothing burger train race, disappointment

He had more pace in his car than others , that showed at the start. after his issue I am not sure where it went , even on fresh rubber he didn't make the same impact .

DRS train didn't help maybe it should be reduced to 0.5sec on tracks like this it does . It just allows people to Survive way longer in the train . Leclecre made short work of it really .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ironically enough, Paul Ricard last week gave us a better race than today's. The only thing to keep it interesting was the scenery and watching the clouds to see if it would rain.

Fair play to Max this weekend and indeed the last few too. He really has the (red) bull by the horns and Lewis knows he's in a battle this year. Someone said an undeserved 3rd for Bottas. Not sure why, seeing as he outqualified Lewis again and but for his moment in the pits could have taken 2nd from Lewis. But of course, Bottas will never get any credit from some here.

Leclerc did do well after messing up in the first lap, but I don't think he was at fault for clipping Kimi. For me, Kimi turned left in behind him coming to the braking zone and clipped Leclerc's rear.

Tough luck on Gasly. He must have been fuming. Ricciardo is really struggling, and even Zac Brown admitted on Sky before the race that the team is dissapointed with his progress and inability to get to grips yet.

We need that rain next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Russell is cursed. Anytime he's running in the points something happens to ruin his race.

Really unlucky again. But ultimately, the important thing for him is to impress Mercedes and give them reasons to put him in the Mercedes next year (and impress sponsors grow his following and so on). Scoring points would have been great for him personally but he made all the right impressions by qualifying 11th and running in 8th after leclerc and Gasley crashed.

He'd have preferred points but he got the most important things from the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A very provisional forecast shows rain for next Sunday in Spielberg. A 7-day forecast can be notoriously inaccurate, especially in mountainous/hilly areas, but that's the news there so far.

https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/daglig-tabell/2-2764812/%C3%98sterrike/Steiermark/Murtal/Spielberg%20bei%20Knittelfeld

Ironically enough, Paul Ricard last week gave us a better race than today's. The only thing to keep it interesting was the scenery and watching the clouds to see if it would rain.

Fair play to Max this weekend and indeed the last few too. He really has the (red) bull by the horns and Lewis knows he's in a battle this year. Someone said an undeserved 3rd for Bottas. Not sure why, seeing as he outqualified Lewis again and but for his moment in the pits could have taken 2nd from Lewis. But of course, Bottas will never get any credit from some here.

Leclerc did do well after messing up in the first lap, but I don't think he was at fault for clipping Kimi. For me, Kimi turned left in behind him coming to the braking zone and clipped Leclerc's rear.

Tough luck on Gasly. He must have been fuming. Ricciardo is really struggling, and even Zac Brown admitted on Sky before the race that the team is dissapointed with his progress and inability to get to grips yet.

We need that rain next week.

Agree on Bottas. If you look at the last few races - he was by far the faster Mercedes at Monaco until the team messed up his stop. He was given a high drag rear wing to act as a tow truck for Lewis in Baku qualifying and never got to do a proper lap of his own - he did ultimately finish ahead of Hamilton in the race thanks to the fact that he made no mistakes, unlike his teammate. He had pace at Paul Ricard but the team completely compromised his strategy because they wanted to use him as a mobile roadblock against Max to help Lewis. He outqualified Lewis in Austria but had to take a penalty due to a spin that occurred when the team were using him as a test mule for a new pitlane launch procedure (not that he was without fault on that one)

He’d be pretty comfortably ahead of Perez in the championship if Mercedes allowed him to run his own race the way Red Bull do with Sergio, but instead he is constantly being compromised and undermined by the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ya know whats hes doing. Being a great number 2.

Isn't that what so many people are saying is his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Managed to avoid the results all day and watched the full race last night.

Austria is one of, if not my favourite track on the calendar so I was really looking forward to it but felt it was a pretty average race all along.

Superb performance from Max who was never in any danger at all and unless we get a variable from the weather, it's difficult to see how much will change between Red Bull and Mercedes on the same track a week apart.

Red Bull must be delighted with Perez of late. Pounding in the points in the constructors and giving them a chance to try some things out in terms of strategy. Even bringing him in for fresh tyres to take a shot at Bottas is something they never would have been able to do in recent years as their second driver was always so far back.

On a side note it seems there are a lot less safety cars, accidents and DNF's this season compared to usual. Am I correct in saying that as my memory isn't the best especially on a Monday morning?! :pac:

you are correct , this is the lowest number of DNF in the last 5 years after 8 races.

2017 - 46
    2017 - 33
    2019 - 25
    2020 - 20
    2021 - 17

this can only mean one thing ............Massive failures ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,353 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I actually thought it was a great race. RB pitting Perez could have worked if it wasnt for the longer stop he got. He finished less than a second behind bottas and lost 2+ seconds in the pit

Anything to see lewis & mercedes whinging on the radio is good by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

quokula wrote: »
    Agree on Bottas. If you look at the last few races - he was by far the faster Mercedes at Monaco until the team messed up his stop. He was given a high drag rear wing to act as a tow truck for Lewis in Baku qualifying and never got to do a proper lap of his own - he did ultimately finish ahead of Hamilton in the race thanks to the fact that he made no mistakes, unlike his teammate. He had pace at Paul Ricard but the team completely compromised his strategy because they wanted to use him as a mobile roadblock against Max to help Lewis. He outqualified Lewis in Austria but had to take a penalty due to a spin that occurred when the team were using him as a test mule for a new pitlane launch procedure (not that he was without fault on that one)

He’d be pretty comfortably ahead of Perez in the championship if Mercedes allowed him to run his own race the way Red Bull do with Sergio, but instead he is constantly being compromised and undermined by the team.

Agree except for the last paragraph which seems like an exaggeration after 8 races where he’s been below par in a couple. Hasn’t been consistent enough to suggest he’s in the hunt for breaking into the top 2 at most races. Giving him second at Monaco and 3rd at France would put him circa 5 points above Checo which would be a fairer reflection of his performances.

He seems to end up in no mans land at times when it comes to strategy. The gap to Hamilton (especially in qualifying) is never as much as Perez to Verstappen. It’s a bit sad to see the festering of all those one year contracts and this years mishaps coming to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Vettel's run of three good results came to an abrupt end this weekend. Didn't get out of Q2, finishing 4 places behind stroll was poor but being overtaken by Kimi in an Alfa fir 11th place was a pretty low point.

His performances have certainly improved from the low benchmark of the last few years, and he looks happy like he was in his first years or two at Ferrari, but I don't think anyone would argue that the Vettel of old is back.

Excellent recovery from LeClerc. The incident with Gasley was his own fault but the incident with Kimi was all on Kimi. He did great to get back to within a pitstop of Sainz and did plenty of overtaking.

• Advertisement

The end of race celebration raised my eyebrow when it happened and it seems Michael Massi wasn't too impressed either.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-bull-receive-warning-over-verstappen-victory-celebration-burnout/6616098/

Advertisement