Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MF699 Hydraulic problem

• 26-06-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭

Guys
    Went to finally use the wee grab on the 699 and the 3pt hydraulics stopped working. Spools are working fine but it has its own pump the 3pt was working fine up to this

Anyone any advice or seen this before. I’ve a sinking feeling it’s going to be the head off the back end and rummage round but I’ve to get a service manual before I do that.

It went from working normally, to not working next day I started it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    Guys
    Went to finally use the wee grab on the 699 and the 3pt hydraulics stopped working. Spools are working fine but it has its own pump the 3pt was working fine up to this

Anyone any advice or seen this before. I’ve a sinking feeling it’s going to be the head off the back end and rummage round but I’ve to get a service manual before I do that.

It went from working normally, to not working next day I started it.

There is a lever on the right to combine both pumps to the spools which locks out rear linkage. It should be down to work both pumps independently up to combine pumps with rear arms disabled. Hope it's just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

emaherx wrote: »
    There is a lever on the right to combine both pumps to the spools which locks out rear linkage. It should be down to work both pumps independently up to combine pumps with rear arms disabled. Hope it's just that.

Sadly no that’s correct, checked 156 times 🙄

Sadly no that’s correct, checked 156 times 🙄

Maybe check the other end of the cable from that lever, that it's actually pushing the linkage under the cab all the way down?

It wouldn't hurt to drain the oil and check the filter underneath either. But it may end in removing the top cover, might be worth checking to o rings on the stand pipe first though.

I'm actually having issues with both pumps on my 698T at the moment but I'm certain at this stage it's going to be a cover off job. Was trying to reduce the number of tractors here and had just sold my 365 so ended up wrapping silage with the 135 last week.

Maybe check the other end of the cable from that lever, that it's actually pushing the linkage under the cab all the way down?

It wouldn't hurt to drain the oil and check the filter underneath either. But it may end in removing the top cover, might be worth checking to o rings on the stand pipe first though.

I'm actually having issues with both pumps on my 698T at the moment but I'm certain at this stage it's going to be a cover off job. Was trying to reduce the number of tractors here and had just sold my 365 so ended up wrapping silage with the 135 last week.

Have checked the end of the cable and it’s fine.

Yea it went for working fine one evening to not working today. I’m wondering did dirt get in from the grab I bought into the system and jam the relief valve open. The grab had been lying open with some hoses off for a while so there could have been some crud in there.

I wouldn’t in 100 years have bought this tractor but life is sometimes awfully complicated, I was hoping it would clean up abkut a house and wee bit of land were inheriting, it’s a bit away from home amd id thought this old girl would be ok to leave out there.

I’m gutted really, it was mechanically working ok but cosmetically a mess. So based on it working I spent some time welding up the cab and tidying the electrics amd stuff. The first day I want to use it in anger and it lets me down, not a good start.

Have checked the end of the cable and it’s fine.

Yea it went for working fine one evening to not working today. I’m wondering did dirt get in from the grab I bought into the system and jam the relief valve open. The grab had been lying open with some hoses off for a while so there could have been some crud in there.

I wouldn’t in 100 years have bought this tractor but life is sometimes awfully complicated, I was hoping it would clean up abkut a house and wee bit of land were inheriting, it’s a bit away from home amd id thought this old girl would be ok to leave out there.

I’m gutted really, it was mechanically working ok but cosmetically a mess. So based on it working I spent some time welding up the cab and tidying the electrics amd stuff. The first day I want to use it in anger and it lets me down, not a good start.

The joys of having a 35+ year old tractor that's probably not had a very good life before you got your hands on it.

• Advertisement

I’m strongly thinking of getting a T added to the hose to one of the assistor rams and just operating off a spool valve, it has two spool valves so I could just dedicate one to the hydraulics if it would work.

I’m strongly thinking of getting a T added to the hose to one of the assistor rams and just operating off a spool valve, it has two spool valves so I could just dedicate one to the hydraulics if it would work.

If you connect a spool to the tipping pipe you'll be able to lift the arms. Not sure I'd use it as a long term solution though.

There’s no tipping pipe !!
    2 spools and trailer break connections.

Would you expect a tipping pipe if there were two spool valve connectors??

There’s no tipping pipe !!
    2 spools and trailer break connections.

Would you expect a tipping pipe if there were two spool valve connectors??

Tipping pipe is installed by just removing a single plug and screwing in a hose. I've a tipping pipe as well as spools on all my tractors. I use the tipping pipe with a return hose to run the wrapper.

I'm actually more surprised it has a trailer brake connection. Mine came with a strange fitting on the tipping pipe it looked more like a trailer brake connection but bigger, it was actually a screw on dowty fitting.

Tipping pipe is installed by just removing a single plug and screwing in a hose. I've a tipping pipe as well as spools on all my tractors. I use the tipping pipe with a return hose to run the wrapper.

I'm actually more surprised it has a trailer brake connection. Mine came with a strange fitting on the tipping pipe it looked more like a trailer brake connection but bigger, it was actually a screw on dowty fitting.

Here’s what’s on the back.

https://ibb.co/J5RWmmz

Two spools and I believe the top connections are trailer break connections

• Advertisement

Here’s what’s on the back.

https://ibb.co/J5RWmmz

Two spools and I believe the top connections are trailer break connections

Top left id say is tipping pipe, Dowty fitting. Top right looks like trailer brake alright.

Change Dowty fitting for a standard female coupling, set spool valve to single acting, connect a short hose with 2 male connections from top spool to tipping pipe and you should be able to set height of arms with quadrant.

You should be able to confirm, tipping pipe will go into top cover, trailer brake pipe will go into a trailer brake unit, it's a rectangular box connected to both hydraulic system and brake lines (probably a brake bleed screw viable and a short brake pipe going directly to brake slave cylinder.)

Your picture is a little difficult to see clearly, but this is a Dowty tipping pipe coupler.

556999.jpg

Ok.
    I was sipping beer in the decking so nipped amd took another photo.

https://ibb.co/QdjcqRy

I’d thought both top fittings were trailer brake connectors, seems it only needs one connection.

That's the same fitting and position as mine had for tipping pipe, I just replaced the fitting although you could be just as well off getting the short hose with Dowty female on one end and standard male on the other.

That's the same fitting and position as mine had for tipping pipe, I just replaced the fitting although you could be just as well off getting the short hose with Dowty female on one end and standard male on the other.

I think for tidiness I might unscrew the pipes of the back of that dowty and a spool valve, use a male 3/8 nipple to join them together.

I’ll have a look when I’m home from work.

So.
    Bypass didn’t help.

Drained the oil, new hydraulic filter and new oil. Everything perfect again.

Must have been dirt from the new grab.

So.
    Bypass didn’t help.

Drained the oil, new hydraulic filter and new oil. Everything perfect again.

Must have been dirt from the new grab.

Well all the better.

Advertisement