Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Qashqai to A4/A6

• 25-06-2021 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Well not exactly as the title says. I’m buying a new car. Always liked Audis so that’s what I’m aiming for. Initially I was looking at the A3’s. But more recently been looking at A4 and A6. Haven’t managed to get a test drive yet.

I’m wondering what the jump is like from something like the Qashqai to an A6. The Qashqai is what I’ve been mainly driving the last few years. The A6 is quite a bit longer and a small bit wider. Even in the Qashqai, I find some roads aren’t big enough with some idiots who don’t like to pull in on their side too much!!

The Qashqai will be our second car and we’re getting rid of the older one.

Comments

What years are you looking at?

What year is your qashqai? Are you moving to Saloon or Estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Zylias wrote: »
    What years are you looking at?

What year is your qashqai? Are you moving to Saloon or Estate?

The Qashqai is a 2014. The car the Audi will replace is an old 2007 Swift! Had thought about the Avant/Estate but going to go saloon. Been looking at 2017 and up. Maybe a 2016 depending.

Most cars I’ve been used to have been hatchbacks. The swift is tiny and the Qashqai isn’t exactly a big car. So moving to a larger saloon will take a bit of getting used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't find much of an issue driving the A6 and the golf we have in the house regarding size and bulk. But then again I've driven vans and big jeeps like Hilux, X5 in work regularly so I'm used to it. Big difference between the audi and the swift but just take your time until you're used to it. There will be parking sensors and/or cameras to aid you with manouevering too.

I don’t know what the turning circle is like on Audis but I’ve had mercs in the past and they’ve behaved better than many smaller cars I’ve owned which helps a lot for things like parking- so if your Audi behaves like that then you’ll be “used” to it within a few hours of driving.
    Acceleration (overtaking) should feel more confident in the more powerful A4 or A6- that will be a great advantage. Running costs will likely be higher in terms of servicing etc so your wallet will feel lighter.

One thing that strikes me though- you’ve been used to a hatchback- will you miss it? It’s great for awkward loads or large loads compared to a saloon- an estate is a good alternative worth considering.
    Best of luck with your purchase whatever you decide.

PS- you’ve moved in your mind from A3 to A6- that’s a big jump in your thinking so I don’t think you’re quite there yet in your decision. Consider also a Volvo v60 or XC 60- a good one with low milage in your price range may be hard to find though - it’s an estate but is also very comfortable - it’s about A4 territory in size- a Mercedes c class estate also worth considering.

PS- you’ve moved in your mind from A3 to A6- that’s a big jump in your thinking so I don’t think you’re quite there yet in your decision. Consider also a Volvo v60 or XC 60- a good one with low milage in your price range may be hard to find though - it’s an estate but is also very comfortable - it’s about A4 territory in size- a Mercedes c class estate also worth considering.

:D Yeah quite the jump alright. Main reason was it was over a year ago I decided to get the new car. I was going to just replace like for like (small hatchback). I put it off over the pandemic. More I thought about over the pandemic though I figure to go bigger. We have a kid now, bit of extra space would be handy. Initially the Qashqai would be the ‘main’ car. But handy having both able to cart the wee one around instead of switching cars. The A4 is probably better suited but I’ve seen a few A6s in similar price bracket so considering them too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

The A6 is a big car. A very big car is used to driving a Qashqai.
    Are you based and going to be driving a lot in city centre is the question I would ask?

ineedeuro wrote: »
    The A6 is a big car. A very big car is used to driving a Qashqai.
    Are you based and going to be driving a lot in city centre is the question I would ask?

There would be some town driving. Live out in the country.

chris_ie wrote: »
    There would be some town driving. Live out in the country.

I would test it around town, in around small streets and see how it feels. Mate got one for wife and she just wouldn’t drive as felt it was far too big and ended going into an A4

ineedeuro wrote: »
    I would test it around town, in around small streets and see how it feels. Mate got one for wife and she just wouldn’t drive as felt it was far too big and ended going into an A4

Yeah the good thing about one of the dealers is the roads around it are narrow! :D Town is nearby so can get a decent test drive. I probably will end up with an A4. The A6 just got me curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

:D Yeah quite the jump alright. Main reason was it was over a year ago I decided to get the new car. I was going to just replace like for like (small hatchback). I put it off over the pandemic. More I thought about over the pandemic though I figure to go bigger. We have a kid now, bit of extra space would be handy. Initially the Qashqai would be the ‘main’ car. But handy having both able to cart the wee one around instead of switching cars. The A4 is probably better suited but I’ve seen a few A6s in similar price bracket so considering them too.
    have you looked at a Skoda Superb... Similar in size to an A6 same chassis, engines etc as from VAG and has the added bonus of it being a hatchback saloon...

• Advertisement

Yeah the good thing about one of the dealers is the roads around it are narrow! :D Town is nearby so can get a decent test drive. I probably will end up with an A4. The A6 just got me curious.

Beautiful car and the space inside is great

After test driving a 172 Audi A4 Sline (€26k). Beautiful car, nice to drive. Fairly low, we have a few big ramps around our way, wondering if they'd be an issue. Heated seats, auto lights and wipers. Didn't have baby pram or seat with me. Would need to see if they fit. Majority of the time the baby would be in the Qashqai but just days that I'm picking him up I'd want a seat in the Audi aswell.

Advertisement