Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Broad city is great !!! I think it’s underrated/under seen over here

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Broad city is great !!! I think it’s underrated/under seen over here

I watched it when it aired on Comedy Central. It was very hit and miss across the seasons though. Some of it was genius and had me in stiches, other parts left me scratching my head a bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I stopped watching with a season and a half left during it's original airing probably for the reasons outlined above. I should really revisit the final few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

16 Blocks (Willis)
    Ain't Them Bodies Saints
    Agent of Influence (C.Plummer)
    An American Werewolf in Paris
    Avenging Angelo (Stallone)
    Blitz (Statham/Considine)
    Body of Lies
    Boy (Waititi)
    Chef
    Dahmer (Renner)
    Django, Prepare a Coffin
    Eddie Griffin: You Can Tell 'Em I Said It!
    The Escape (Arterton/D.Cooper)
    The Ex
    Goats
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    Hangmen Also Die!
    Homicide (Mantegna/W.H.Macy)
    Kung Fu Jungle
    Last Action Hero
    The Last Frontier (Original Title: Подольские курсанты)
    The Longest Week
    Love, Rosie (L.Collins/Claflin)
    Man About Town
    The Messenger (B.Foster/Harrelson)
    Neon Flesh (Original Title: Carne de neón)
    Nora (E.McGregor)
    Nowhere Boy
    Our Friend (Segel/D.Johnson/C.Affleck)
    Priest of Love (McKellan)
    Private Property
    Pursued
    Ratchet & Clank
    The Resident
    The Rolling Stones: From The Vault - Live In Leeds 1982
    The Rolling Stones: From The Vault – Live at the Tokyo Dome 1990
    The Rolling Stones: From The Vault - No Security – San Jose ’99
    The Rolling Stones: From The Vault - Sticky Fingers Live at the Fonda Theatre 2015
    The Secret of My Success (M.J.Fox)
    Shade
    Sharing the Secret
    Sisters of War (Snook/Van der Boom)
    Smart People
    Storks
    Swimming with Sharks (Spacey/Forbes/Del Toro)
    The Truth About Love
    Unforgivable
    Welcome to Marwen (S.Carell)
    Welcome to Me
    World's Greatest Dad

Clarkson's Farm (Amazon Original)(2021)
    Chivas: El Rebaño Sagrado (Amazon Original)(2021)
    Great British Theatre (Amazon Original)(2021)(5 episodes including Ian McKellan on stage,Fleabag & Hamlet)
    Lexx (Season 1-3)
    Some Girls (Season 1-3)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Wonder - 25/6
    Red Riding Hood - 26/6
    Real Steel - 27/6
    Creed,Creed II - 28/6
    This Means War - 28/6
    Heathers - 29/6
    Widows - 29/6
    Dunkirk - 30/6

Informer - 26/6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mos Def's performance Will divide, but 16 Blocks was the closest we got to a "proper", back to basics Die Hard movie IMO, starting Bruce Willis n all (playing slightly older as greying, saggy cop). Very tightly constrained, low stakes and uses the premise well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Started Clarkson's Farm the other day and it's surprisingly very watchable! Quite funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

CiaranW wrote:
    Started Clarkson's Farm the other day and it's surprisingly very watchable! Quite funny too.

Have to agree. Some funny moments in it. The scenes with Gerald are quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

I recommend High Life on Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mos Def's performance Will divide, but 16 Blocks was the closest we got to a "proper", back to basics Die Hard movie IMO, starting Bruce Willis n all (playing slightly older as greying, saggy cop). Very tightly constrained, low stakes and uses the premise well.
    If Die Hard is a reference point, then 16 Blocks is a laggard; serviceable, with nothing memorable in it. Re Mos Def, I'd mos def be on the "I've never heard his music, but it's gotta be better than his monotone mumble-acting" side of the diivide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Die Hard is a reference point, then 16 Blocks is a laggard; serviceable, with nothing memorable in it. Re Mos Def, I'd mos def be in the "I've never heard his music, but it's gotta be better than his monotone mumble-acting" diivide.

I mentioned it more because it better took the low stakes, confined-locale premise of Die Hard than the 4th and 5th films of the actual franchise. Those went big, McClane turning into a superhero, when they should have stayed small, let McClane stay a cop.

No, it's not an especially memorable film beyond that, and wouldn't wax lyrical at all - but it understood how to mine a tense narrative out of something as simple as "travel 16 Blocks of NY", than the kind of executive driven "uh, Dir Hard goes to Russia. More explosions! Jai Courtnay must happen!" crap that drove the progenitor off a cliff.

So I'd recommend it more as a comparison piece than some hidden classic. It's not the latter at all.

• Advertisement

Both Under Siege films still on Prime,Die Hard on a ship and on a train. The first pretty great of that vein the second not so much but watchable nonsense nonetheless and also better than the later Die Hards imo despite the dated "technology".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Both Under Siege films still on Prime,Die Hard on a ship and on a train. The first pretty great of that vein the second not so much but watchable nonsense nonetheless and also better than the later Die Hards imo despite the dated "technology".

Seagal gets less screen time than Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey in the first one, keeping his time minimal seems to be the trick as they kill him off early in Executive Decision

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

pixelburp wrote: »
    I mentioned it more because it better took the low stakes, confined-locale premise of Die Hard than the 4th and 5th films of the actual franchise. Those went big, McClane turning into a superhero, when they should have stayed small, let McClane stay a cop.

No, it's not an especially memorable film beyond that, and wouldn't wax lyrical at all - but it understood how to mine a tense narrative out of something as simple as "travel 16 Blocks of NY", than the kind of executive driven "uh, Dir Hard goes to Russia. More explosions! Jai Courtnay must happen!" crap that drove the progenitor off a cliff.

So I'd recommend it more as a comparison piece than some hidden classic. It's not the latter at all.

The Last Boy Scout is often overlooked

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Scouts Guide to Zombie Apocalypse.. is great craic.

The Last Boy Scout is often overlooked

I would never overlook it.

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

The Best of Men
    Cold Deck
    Crimes of Passion
    Digging to China (E.R.Wood/Bacon)
    A Dog's Way Home (A.Judd)
    Dumb and Dumber
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Hidden Agenda (McDormand/B.Cox)
    The Ice Road (Nesson/Fishburne)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
    Jupiter Ascending
    Little Men
    Mary J Blige's My Life (Amazon Original)(2021)
    McLintock! (J.Wayne)
    New York, I Love You
    Out of Sight
    Reality Bites (W.Ryder/E.Hawke)
    Shuffle
    The Town

Bosch (Season 7)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    The Greatest American Hero (Season 1-3)
    Prime Day Show (Presented by Amazon Music - H.E.R./Kid Cudi/Billie Eilish)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

The American President - 1/7
    The Italian Job (Caine) - 2/7
    Shutter Island - 2/7
    American Hustle - 4/7
    How to Lose a guy in 10 Days - 4/7
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Scouts Guide to Zombie Apocalypse.. is great craic.
    Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalyse - 5/7
    Vanilla Sky - 5/7
    Monster-in-Law - 7/7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If you've not seen it already then make time to watch The Professor staring Johnny Depp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Watched Sound of Metal last night. Very good, although I feel that the movie title and premise may turn a lot of people off from watching it. I can tell you that it doesn't matter what your taste in music is, even if you hate metal, you will still enjoy this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The ice road

I am fan of big Liam Neeson...like most of the geriaction stuff.....but this is awful....I gave up after 25 minutes...plot is a mish mash of nonsense...the special effects are awful, not sure what the budget was....I wouldn't bother

gmisk wrote: »
    The ice road

I am fan of big Liam Neeson...like most of the geriaction stuff.....but this is awful....I gave up after 25 minutes...plot is a mish mash of nonsense...the special effects are awful, not sure what the budget was....I wouldn't bother

Wrong. This movie is a masterpiece.

• Advertisement

Wrong. This movie is a masterpiece.
    ...are you being sarcastic?
    Where to start with this dire film....
    The first crappy CGI explosion looked like something from a syfy channel film.....then it went downhill from there.
    Every character is paper thin, the entire film is just cliche after cliche.

You would be far better of watching wages of fear or sorcerer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

VonLuck wrote: »
    Watched Sound of Metal last night. Very good, although I feel that the movie title and premise may turn a lot of people off from watching it. I can tell you that it doesn't matter what your taste in music is, even if you hate metal, you will still enjoy this movie.

The title had more than one meaning and what I took away from it was it wasn’t referring to the music

gmisk wrote: »
    ...are you being sarcastic?
    Where to start with this dire film....
    The first crappy CGI explosion looked like something from a syfy channel film.....then it went downhill from there.
    Every character is paper thin, the entire film is just cliche after cliche.

You would be far better of watching wages of fear or sorcerer

My apologies I was think of the Liam neeson movie cold pursuit which is excellent. And I agree sorcerer is a very good watch.

My apologies I was think of the Liam neeson movie cold pursuit which is excellent. And I agree sorcerer is a very good watch.
    Ah that makes more sense...no worries.
    Cold pursuit was really good, underrated imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Watched Our Friend last night - lots of tears so not really uplifting or light heared to watch in current times ! Good film though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Clarkson's Farm, I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

I like Jeremy anyway but no interest in farming, but I found it very good, with the added characters especially. Really interesting view of how life on a big farm is too.

When I hear farmers complaining about the weather, I have a bit of an insight now as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Clarkson's Farm, I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

I like Jeremy anyway but no interest in farming, but I found it very good, with the added characters especially. Really interesting view of how life on a big farm is too.

When I hear farmers complaining about the weather, I have a bit of an insight now as to why.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Had “gone off” Clarkson and gave up on Top Gear back when was on BBC never mind new version on Amazon. I do have farming background (nowhere near the size of what he is “farming”) and find it quite funny and like you said the characters are excellent. The “big tractor” in itself is good and the rams/sheep’s scenes with the vet and others is quite good…”you need a shepherd”
    Saying that must be spending a fortune in help for the farming, no way making money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

adox wrote: »
    The title had more than one meaning and what I took away from it was it wasn’t referring to the music

Oh yeah that's clear after watching the movie, but someone who was just judging whether to watch it based off the title and plot summary might think it's all about heavy metal music, which it's not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

VonLuck wrote: »
    Oh yeah that's clear after watching the movie, but someone who was just judging whether to watch it based off the title and plot summary might think it's all about heavy metal music, which it's not at all.

Aye, it was a hard sell for the wife when I told her the name of the film. I had to give a synopsis of the film and convince her heavy metal wasn't going to be the major theme of the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Aye, it was a hard sell for the wife when I told her the name of the film. I had to give a synopsis of the film and convince her heavy metal wasn't going to be the major theme of the movie.

I remember years ago meeting my boss and his wife on their way to the Savoy for a romantic night at the pictures. I hadn't the heart to tell them that True Romance wasn't going to be quite what they expected!

Advertisement