Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X5 v Q7

• 21-05-2021 10:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

About to pull the trigger on one of the above. Both are same age, similar mileage etc. The Q7 is a small bit more expensive. The Q7 is a 3.0ltr and the X5 is 2ltr.

Any feedback on bad/good points of both?
    I can see the service cost for Audi but can't see them on BMW but I expect they are both similar.

Any major reasons why one over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

ineedeuro wrote: »
    About to pull the trigger on one of the above. Both are same age, similar mileage etc. The Q7 is a small bit more expensive. The Q7 is a 3.0ltr and the X5 is 2ltr.

Any feedback on bad/good points of both?
    I can see the service cost for Audi but can't see them on BMW but I expect they are both similar.

Any major reasons why one over the other?

Which years and models are you looking at? Link them both. A Q7 S Line 3.0 is going to be favoured over an X5 SE 2.0, so little variations in details might sway one over the other., one might be last of old model the other first of a new model etc Straight away though the 3.0 in the Q7 is swinging it for me in something that size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Which years and models are you looking at? Link them both. A Q7 S Line 3.0 is going to be favoured over an X5 SE 2.0, so little variations in details might sway one over the other., one might be last of old model the other first of a new model etc Straight away though the 3.0 in the Q7 is swinging it for me in something that size.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/x5/fpa/202102269495797?journey=Search
    v
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/q7/fpa/202010084764076?journey=Search

Q7 for me out of those 2 if it boils down to it.

But....it's the lower tuned 3.0 engine with 218bhp, still fine but not the 286bhp version that is also available.

One thing jumps out at me, both are horrendously expensive for 6 year old cars that will be 10 or 11 years old while you are still paying finance on them (if you are getting finance that is). X5 is an 11 year old interior design based on f10 5 series, the q7 one was probably new enough in 2015.

Im sure that's what they cost but you could get the saloon or estate car closely related versions of them (5 series and a6) for less than half that in a 2015 plate. Better drives, same comfort, much more fuel efficient, estate cars will have more or less same space, just lack the high driving position.

If you want suv though fire away, not my cup of tea though at all.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Q7 for me out of those 2 if it boils down to it.

But....it's the lower tuned 3.0 engine with 218bhp, still fine but not the 286bhp version that is also available.

One thing jumps out at me, both are horrendously expensive for 6 year old cars that will be 10 or 11 years old while you are still paying finance on them (if you are getting finance that is).

Im sure that's what they cost but you could get the saloon or estate car closely related versions of them (5 series and a6) for less than half that in a 2015 plate.

If you want suv though fire away, not my cup of tea though at all.

7 seats is the requirement.

the bhp is not a huge concern as it will be a "soccer mam" car :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

We looked at 17 PHEV one, trying to stick to main dealers with warranty

7 seats is the requirement.

the bhp is not a huge concern as it will be a "soccer mam" car :-)

I suppose they are, in a way, a car that has to tick all the boxes. Decent engine and performance, comfort, premium badge and 7 seater so top top dollar is needed. Of those 2 though, despite the higher price and mileage (both only slightly) the q7 is the winner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Isn’t Adrian Quinn an off shoot used dealer of Colm Quinn BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »

He has at least 2 McLarens, numerous high end new and fairly new Range Rovers and S-class, had/has a Lambo etc so I doubt it. A lot of stock was also from the UK in the past

There was rumours that they were brothers which is also untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

choose the Q7 , 2L is too small for an X5

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    choose the Q7 , 2L is too small for an X5

Tested a Q7 today in Frank Keane
    It's a monster of a thing, so much room in it and I really liked it but, it's not my car and the better half said far too big. Especially around the city and trying to park. Plus no reverse camera. She did test the higher Bhp one, said it was built for the open road and just wanted to take off :p

Strange for a car which cost probably 100k+ when new doesn't have a reverse camera

FYI Frank Keane Naas road is an absolute nightmare. We booked in & everything but no salesman when we arrived, stood around for 20 mins, then just asked them to open car, waited around....finally a guy who wasn't sales arrived out, of course went to test the car and it wouldn't start as the battery was not fully charged. Done test drive, arrived back and guy was gone, back in, waiting for 30 mins at reception...nobody came back. The lady at reception was mortified

Said f**k it and left. 4 hours later the sales guy who was supposed to be meeting us called back, told him after X5, he said would ring back in 5 mins. Nothing since
    A few like us, I seen people walking around, trying to talk to sales people and then just getting into car and leaving.
    Strange way to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Its a tricky one isnt it? I was in the same boat. Not a nice time to buy, so little stock and I found prices were almost going up by the week.
    The Q7 is more modern inside and at first glance I liked it. Any 2017 and 2018 ones I enquired about didnt have a reverse Camera. Apart from that I didnt like how it drove, both SE and Sline. Speaking of Boats, thats how it felt, and also felt I should pull over at the local Bus stop and offer a lift, it feels very very big.
    2017 X5, definitely more dated inside, but far far nicer to drive. I drove both the 2L and 3L, felt the 2L was perfectly good, not small at all, but definitely a tad louder than the 3L.

What did you choose in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭User1998

OEM reverse cameras are very easy to fit. I was looking at one recently which didn’t have one and would definitely get one installed. Its cheap enough around €300

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tested a Q7 today in Frank Keane
    It's a monster of a thing, so much room in it and I really liked it but, it's not my car and the better half said far too big. Especially around the city and trying to park. Plus no reverse camera. She did test the higher Bhp one, said it was built for the open road and just wanted to take off :p

Strange for a car which cost probably 100k+ when new doesn't have a reverse camera

FYI Frank Keane Naas road is an absolute nightmare. We booked in & everything but no salesman when we arrived, stood around for 20 mins, then just asked them to open car, waited around....finally a guy who wasn't sales arrived out, of course went to test the car and it wouldn't start as the battery was not fully charged. Done test drive, arrived back and guy was gone, back in, waiting for 30 mins at reception...nobody came back. The lady at reception was mortified

Said f**k it and left. 4 hours later the sales guy who was supposed to be meeting us called back, told him after X5, he said would ring back in 5 mins. Nothing since
    A few like us, I seen people walking around, trying to talk to sales people and then just getting into car and leaving.
    Strange way to run a business.

Email the dealer principal and CC BMW Ireland.

Email the dealer principal and CC BMW Ireland.

I never got that "call back"....a long 5 mins

I bought from another garage anyway. Ended up in X5

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I never got that "call back"....a long 5 mins

I bought from another garage anyway. Ended up in X5

I looked at both (and the XC90 and RR Sport) and ended up going with the GLE, was very close to the X5 but the cabin is a bit small in comparison and the RR sport is very aged in comparison to the other 3.

Advertisement