Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage cars

• 25-06-2021 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

There are probably a load of threads on here asking this but I cant seem to use a search function for some reason. Feel free to post a link if it is easier.

I am looking into buying a higher mileage vehicle but now sure what is too high. I am aware of the 2-0,000km / 12,000mile guideline but when does the mileage become too much? I was looking at a 2016 A6 with 140000kms or other similar age mileage combinations.

What are the things to look for such as number of pervious owners, service history, actual mileage check, dealer history etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

I wouldn't be too wary of a 5 year old car with 140k km on the clock. If your in Meath/Louth and going to Dublin 5 days a week for work you'd easily rack up that mileage.

However, it is a substantial clock and will severely impact the value of the vehicle, at least in my opinion as if you keep it 3 years and put 60k km on the clock your looking at a 8 year old car with 200k.

For me, I'd be looking at the timing belt to have been changed by a main dealer if it has one or if it's a chain a recent inspection. If it doesnt have the inspection for the chain, I'd ask to have one done before proceeding. Service history is welcome, for premium vehicles i.e Audi/BMW/Merc they really should be going through the main dealers.

Have you any links for cars you are looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Zylias wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too wary of a 5 year old car with 140k km on the clock. If your in Meath/Louth and going to Dublin 5 days a week for work you'd easily rack up that mileage.

However, it is a substantial clock and will severely impact the value of the vehicle, at least in my opinion as if you keep it 3 years and put 60k km on the clock your looking at a 8 year old car with 200k.

For me, I'd be looking at the timing belt to have been changed by a main dealer if it has one or if it's a chain a recent inspection. If it doesnt have the inspection for the chain, I'd ask to have one done before proceeding. Service history is welcome, for premium vehicles i.e Audi/BMW/Merc they really should be going through the main dealers.

Have you any links for cars you are looking at?

Something like this:

https://www.audi.ie/ie/web/en/used-car-search/details.sc_detail.SVJMMDA1NjIyNTAxMjYzMA=.html

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

Nothing showing for me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You can get good value with high mileage prestige cars once you plan to keep it.

150-200k km for 3-4 years would signify a lot of motorway driving which would be very easy on an engine.

Main dealer service would be ideal

Zylias wrote: »
    Nothing showing for me there.

It must have just sold this afternoon :(

I like this also but is a 2015 and not sure about the wood finish. Less kms though.
    https://www.audi.ie/ie/web/en/used-car-search/details.sc_detail.SVJMMDA1NjIyNTAxOTU1OQ=.html

Or this:
    A5
    https://www.audi.ie/ie/web/en/used-car-search/details.sc_detail.SVJMMDA4ODYyNDkzNDY3NQ=.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The fact that A6 is a manual would bother me more than the wood. Nobody buys big premium with a manual gearbox anymore, you will be married to that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

I wouldn't be spending big money on high mileage cars.

I40,000 KM isn't high mileage whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I wouldn't touch a high mileage car. If I'm looking for a particular motor the qualifier is low mileage combined with condition.

I wouldn't be spending big money on high mileage cars.

I40,000 KM isn't high mileage whatsoever.

What do you consider big money? I know that is relative but the prices seem to be standard across most websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

140k on a car that could do 400 plus if well maintained, high mileage never bothered me, a low mileage car badly looked after will cause more headaches

• Advertisement

Are there any makes or models that are more suited to high mileage and are there any to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭shnaek

These days I tend to buy high mileage cars once I get a great price on them, once they have an iron-clad service history and nothing weird in the ownership history (ie. no gaps in road tax etc). You have to realise the resale value will be low, but so far it has worked out well for me - but no doubt there's an element of risk there.

Advertisement