Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a bike to Iceland

• 25-06-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Has anybody ever flown with a bike to Iceland before? The first problem I seem to have is there are no direct flights from Ireland. Providing international travel opens up, I'm hoping to do some touring there in August, so I don't want to have to transport the bike in a bag/box.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How would you normally have got it on a plane if not in a bag/box? Unless you specifically mean bike bags / bike boxes that you need to store somewhere to then take home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

zico10 wrote: »
    Has anybody ever flown with a bike to Iceland before? The first problem I seem to have is there are no direct flights from Ireland. Providing international travel opens up, I'm hoping to do some touring there in August, so I don't want to have to transport the bike in a bag/box.

Thanks

Aren’t Icelandair flying Dub - Kef?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Weepsie wrote: »
    How would you normally have got it on a plane if not in a bag/box? Unless you specifically mean bike bags / bike boxes that you need to store somewhere to then take home too.

I meant a bike bag or bike box, so don’t know how I’d store one for a couple of weeks as I’m off cycling. I’ve never flown with my touring bike before, but I’ve heard of people simply wheeling their bike up to oversize baggage and getting it wheeled back to them on arrival. I’m hoping someone here might have done so, and could relate their experiences.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Aren’t Icelandair flying Dub - Kef?

Whether the flights have been cancelled due to COVID-19, or Icelandair never flew direct, I don’t know, but I can’t find any flights on their site. A Google search isn’t turning up any direct flights either, so I’m also hoping someone could advise an what airline to use and where to get the connecting flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I meant a bike bag or bike box, so don’t know how I’d store one for a couple of weeks as I’m off cycling. I’ve never flown with my touring bike before, but I’ve heard of people simply wheeling their bike up to oversize baggage and getting it wheeled back to them on arrival. I’m hoping someone here might have done so, and could relate their experiences.

Whether the flights have been cancelled due to COVID-19, or Icelandair never flew direct, I don’t know, but I can’t find any flights on their site. A Google search isn’t turning up any direct flights either, so I’m also hoping someone could advise an what airline to use and where to get the connecting flight.

Bear in mind that airline and airport rules can be different. For example, Airline says you can turn handlebars, take off pedals and lower saddle which sounds great. Then you turn up to the airport and they insist on a box before you can fly but may not provide one.
    I would check out bike shops in Iceland to see if any of them offer a bike packing and transport service for the end of your trip. Failing that they may give you a cardboard bike box to pack up yourself. Check out the airport. some of them provide boxes for a nominal fee.
    I have only ever flown direct so no idea how transfer flights handle oversize luggage. The least amount of handling of your bike the better so direct flights are probably to be advised..

Iceland air and before them, wow, were very much budget type airlines. Not a hope of just rocking up with a bike and having it wheeled on.

Iceland air insist on it being boxed, or if heavier type it might have to go as freight on a separate flight possibly or be charged quite a bit.

Iceland is amazing though, but, and I've thought of doing it myself, cycling much of it would be incredibly dull though as the southern part is essentially one long straight road and some of the really interesting parts wouldn't exactly be accessible by bike.

Prepare for wind and 4 seaons in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my father in law runs an air cargo business with a lot of dealings in iceland. i'm in a luxurious position i've yet to exploit - i could head over on a cargo plane (no baggage limit whatsoever!) and sit in the jump seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Do it on a mountain or gravel bike 😊

https://youtu.be/GsAlxJjuY7E

Iceland air and before them, wow, were very much budget type airlines. Not a hope of just rocking up with a bike and having it wheeled on.

Iceland air insist on it being boxed, or if heavier type it might have to go as freight on a separate flight possibly or be charged quite a bit.

Iceland is amazing though, but, and I've thought of doing it myself, cycling much of it would be incredibly dull though as the southern part is essentially one long straight road and some of the really interesting parts wouldn't exactly be accessible by bike.

Prepare for wind and 4 seaons in a day.

Do it on a mountain or gravel bike 😊

https://youtu.be/GsAlxJjuY7E

For the wow Iceland race (an 1100km loop) you had to bring a cyclo-cross or mountain bike for one of the sections with you or you couldn't enter

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Crazyguyonabike.com had some really good journal entries on cycling iceland. A limerick lad Gearoid -i forget his surname - did a fantastic looking trip and I think there was mention of the logistics too, well worth looking at that site as iceland has some unique conditions i.e. the prevailing wind needs to be factored in, prices, huge chunks of wilderness where it's easy to die!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I looked for next Feb and there are direct flights with icelandair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lots of roads in Iceland aren't suitable for a road bike. Gravel/CX/MTB would be advisable. Do a Google Street View of any roads you plan to use to get an idea of the surfaces you intend to ride on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You can get a cardboard box for free in most bike shops. When you get to the other end there should be some maintenance people there who can help you to dispose of it, or just look around for a waste cardboard/paper disposal area. Offer a tenner for a couple of pints to someone and they'll get rid of it.

I've never met an airline who will take an unprotected bike, it has the potential to damage/dirty other luggage in the hold. I once had a bike wrapped up in several layers of bubble wrap flying home from Spain and even that got a questioning look. Wheels were removed, handlebars turned so it was small enough.

KevRossi wrote: »
    You can get a cardboard box for free in most bike shops. When you get to the other end there should be some maintenance people there who can help you to dispose of it, or just look around for a waste cardboard/paper disposal area. Offer a tenner for a couple of pints to someone and they'll get rid of it.

I've never met an airline who will take an unprotected bike, it has the potential to damage/dirty other luggage in the hold. I once had a bike wrapped up in several layers of bubble wrap flying home from Spain and even that got a questioning look. Wheels were removed, handlebars turned so it was small enough.

A tenner won't buy a pint in iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A tenner won't buy a pint in iceland

So true. The most expensive place I've been to. €40 for an 8 pack of 500ml cans in an off licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks

Didn't Peter do this? You asked him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

wheeling a bike to the airport has been done. i have seen it a few times. but for instance at dublin airport it starts with the x ray scanner machine. i can not pack my bike with the front wheel out and rear wheel in without lowering my saddle for instance as wont go through the scanner machine. by a fraction .... while at other airports it works belfast for instance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I often went on detatchments with the RAF back in the 80's to Kelflavik and Bergen ( different country, I know) but it was usual practice for us to take at least a slab of beer and a bottle of spirits each to those places. I wasn't as keen on whiskey in those days, so I made good use of trading that!

Advertisement