Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Syrian refugee opens pharmacy in Carlow village

Options

Comments

I thought it'd be nice to share this story.

A man who escaped war torn Syria and settled in Ireland has opened his own pharmacy in the village of Ballon in Co. Carlow.

Nice to see people integrating and doing well, contributing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0624/1231186-syrian-refugee-carlow/

Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Bloody foreigners coming over here creating their own jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That's a lovely story. Fair play to him. Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Hope it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I am not looking for a smart answer, but can refugees apply for a grant or business type loan to get up and running, or does it have to come from personal funds etc. I can imagine most people come here with not much in the way of possessions, but maybe any money they had in the bank can still be accessed? (How you'd access it from a war torn country is another thing!)
    A good news story either way. Similar to the cafe in Cork that seems to be doing really well. Fair play to them for making a go of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

aziz wrote: »

And most likely jobs for Irish people, some cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

"Fadi and his family arrived in Ireland in late 2014, under a resettlement programme operated by the UN Refugee Agency and the Irish Government."

The asylum process can be a benefit to the country if done right. He came here legally after his identity and credentials were verified.

🙈🙉🙊

"Fadi and his family arrived in Ireland in late 2014, under a resettlement programme operated by the UN Refugee Agency and the Irish Government."

The asylum process can be a benefit to the country if done right. He came here legally after his identity and credentials were verified.

Exactly. This is how it should be done. No other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Great story and hope his business is a real success. But the big question I have is how did he end up sounding like Ger Loughnane!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

aziz wrote: »

While it's an excellent story and exactly the way asylum should be dealt with, he's hardly in a majority re creating jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

_Brian wrote: »
    And most likely jobs for Irish people, some cheek

He has, the cheek of him :D
    Fadi has employed three local people in the new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,632 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now if every Syrian refugee isn’t a model business owner the people will be upset with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope Gemma doesn’t turn up to cause the lad hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Selling drugs in broad daylight? I'm outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,830 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

While it's an excellent story and exactly the way asylum should be dealt with, he's hardly in a majority re creating jobs.
    Maybe not but pretty much every study you can find shows migrants contribute more to the economy than they take out.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/09/26/migrants-contribute-more-to-britain-than-they-take-and-will-carry-on-doing-so

• Registered Users Posts: 31,830 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I hope Gemma doesn’t turn up to cause the lad hassle!
    She will probably rant at him for not selling rashers and sausages...

For reference she did that in a halal butchers in Waterford, the guy was extremely polite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe not but pretty much every study you can find shows migrants contribute more to the economy than they take out.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/09/26/migrants-contribute-more-to-britain-than-they-take-and-will-carry-on-doing-so

Well done to him.

Most people accept immigration and emigration. But don't subscribe to simplistic ideas that immigration is either "good", or "bad". It depends on the specific cases.

That is the way it is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

I have always said that I am for genuine refugees, but against bogus asylum-seekers.

We have two programmes to accept 4,000 + 2,900 = 6,900 refugees.

I am happy to pay taxes to support these programmes, assuming all applicants are checked out fully, before they arrive.

I am not happy to pay taxes towards the several thousand bogus AS who have, and continue to arrive here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

bubblypop wrote: »
    That is the way it is done?

No, this guy was a refugee before he arrived.

The problem is with the several thousand bogus AS, who are falsely applying for refugee status.

Geuze wrote: »
    No, this guy was a refugee before he arrived.

The problem is with the several thousand bogus AS, who are falsely applying for refugee status.

That's how refugees are brought into the country.
    A refugee is not an asylum seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As bubbly said, this man didn't arrive here on his own accord.
    He was a pharmacist displaced by the war in Syria and then brought here by UN.
    As he was a pharmacist already the rest is history.

Fair play, obviously a productive man that quickly learned the ropes and opened up his own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

biko wrote: »
    Fair play, obviously a productive man that quickly learned the ropes and opened up his own business.

I for one am very impressed that this man - at the age of 34 - has managed to become qualified in his own country as a pharmacist, need to leave his country due to war, spend years in another country as an asylum seeker, and get himself up and running to becoming a recognised pharmacist in another country and then on to open his own business.

I admire the work ethic and mindset that must take. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I know more about the asylum seeker situation in France than I do here tbh; most people in both countries support 'legit' asylum seekers and are happy to see them flourish in their new home countries. I know of one family personally and it's been such a pleasure to watch their children blossom and integrate, without sacrificing their own culture and customs.

The issue with 'non legit' AS is where to draw the line? Eg another family in France came from Albania and were really well liked and respected by the people of their town. Low and behold they were denied asylum (on the basis that they were fleeing abject poverty and not violence).

Who's the say where the line is drawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

This is how the refugee resettlement system is supposed to work. It's easy to forget with all the abuse of this system that it was set up in good faith.

Of course RTÉ promote this story to insinuate that it's a typical story for asylum applicants. It's also instructive that they chose a story involving a Syrian man who could pass for European.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

l with, he's hardly in a majority re creating jobs.

The same way that the majority of native-born Irish don't create jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

If anything that just enhances the need for more stringent rules to attract the right type of migrant.

The headline really is catch all nonsense. Does it apply to the Somali community in the UK and Scandanavia? The Sudanese community in Australia? The Roma I saw today queueing at some sort of drop in centre at the foot of the Buckingham St flats where they seemed to be conversing with an employee in their own language?

I see you accidently conflated all migrants with asylum seekers

• Advertisement

The same way that the majority of native-born Irish don't create jobs.
    Absolutely true

Advertisement