Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to hand over the dosh?

• 25-06-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

The last time bought a car (2009) the main dealer's preference
    was payment by cheque. (They made a call verifying the cheque).

How does it work now?
    I'm certainly not going to bring 15K cash with me!

To pay 15K with Ulster Bank by phone, you have to have already completed
    a transfer to that payee on your Desktop/Laptop. - LINK

Also, Ulster Bank to AIB / BOI are not instant (AFIK).

What about Drafts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealers will except drafts, some might accept payment by revolute too. Ultimately you will have to ask the specific dealer.

Easiest to do with a dealer is a cheque or a bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Just purchased a car for 14,000E this week.Gave a bankers draft,but had to wait 5 working days for it to clear before collecting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Pretty much all will allow bank transfer to their IBAN also. True you will need to pay and let it clear before you collect the car but generally that is just 1 day with SEPA and sometimes instant if same bank.
    Only other issue may be whether you can transfer all in one go (or one day) or do multiple transfers which means it may take 2-3 days to transfer full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

Just purchased a car for 14,000E this week.Gave a bankers draft,but had to wait 5 working days for it to clear before collecting the car.
    That a real bummer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Are garages / main dealers even ok with accepting cash for amounts of €15k the OP is paying?

Or is it messy with extra forms to fill? I know if you go to a bank with that much you'll likely have to prove it wasn't money laundered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Don’t know why you had to wait for a draft to clear, a draft is basically cash, once lodged to sellers account it’s immediately available to them,

Used a draft for my last purchase, about 18k, handed it over & drove off from main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I handed over a draft for over €50k a few months ago and drove away, not sure why they would need to wait 5 days. They can phone the bank to verify it immediately.

I don’t think too many places would want to have cash, even relatively small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My last cars I bought by bank transfer from my account to their IBAN.

Your debit card. Ulster Bank doesn't have a transaction limit on theirs.

• Advertisement

Your debit card. Ulster Bank doesn't have a transaction limit on theirs.
    Can you please provide a link/proof?

If it is true, it's both great and worrying at the same time.

UB Phone banking limit = 10K

Online limit = 25K (After payee has been setup on Desktop).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don’t know why you had to wait for a draft to clear, a draft is basically cash, once lodged to sellers account it’s immediately available to them,

Used a draft for my last purchase, about 18k, handed it over & drove off from main dealer
    Normal One wrote: »
    I handed over a draft for over €50k a few months ago and drove away, not sure why they would need to wait 5 days. They can phone the bank to verify it immediately.

I don’t think too many places would want to have cash, even relatively small amounts.

There have been fake or stolen drafts floating around, used in scams like this. Is it really possible to phone the bank to validate? It's near impossible to get through to any bank branch these days.

eirman wrote: »
    Can you please provide a link/proof?

If it is true, it's both great and worrying at the same time.

UB Phone banking limit = 10K

Online limit = 25K (After payee has been setup on Desktop).

Personal experience. I made a €35,000 transaction on my Ulster Bank visa debit card previously with no issues. The only transaction limit is the funds in your account. Similar experience by someone else here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057910559

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

With AIB a few days ago trying to pay up for a car with my debit card I found I had a 6k limit. Another 1k limit for transferring online. Had to get my wife's card which had a 2k limit (TSB). Then went to the bank to transfer the remainder in person.

Don't worry the dealer will find a way to get the money!

Personal experience. I made a €35,000 transaction on my Ulster Bank visa debit card previously with no issues.

Thanks JB - Personal experience is good enough for me!

(According to MoneyguideIreland the AIB limit is €5,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

PTSB limited to 5k as well for online SEPA
    Had to do a transfer of 21k recently and it took 5 days then the garage had to confirm transfer so it took over a week in total to get sorted
    Pain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

10k is the daily limit for bank transfer. You can transfer a lot more if you go into bank and get them to transfer it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dsmythy wrote: »

Don't worry the dealer will find a way to get the money!

oh you betcha! ;)

Advertisement