Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restricted Licence

Options
  • 24-06-2021 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

When applying for a restricted shotgun (Target shooting SG with extended tube) can you tick the box for vermin control (on own land)?

I guess as it’s 9+1 for target it can only be used at an authorised range?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Once you tick target shooting, have the membership to a range, there is nothing stopping you from ticking hunting. Whether you get it or not is another matter.

However, and this is important, section 33 of the wildlife act, as amended by section 41 of the 2000 act, makes it an offense to hunt "wild mammal" and "will bird" with a restricted shotgun (restricted being my shorthand for any shotgun capable of holding more than 3 cartridges).

Now the 2000 act changed animal to mammal and bird to wild bird, which basically means if it has a season you cannot hunt it with a restricted shotgun. Vermin and anything else not covered by either act is fair game, afaik, and that may also include species under derogation (which by its very name is a suspension of normal law on the matter)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    When applying for a restricted shotgun (Target shooting SG with extended tube) can you tick the box for vermin control (on own land)?

I guess as it’s 9+1 for target it can only be used at an authorised range?

Thanks

You'll need a better reason than just vermin control on your own land to get a restricted shotgun as vermin control can be done with a non-restricted shotgun.

I got my restricted shotgun for target shooting.

There's nothing stopping you from getting it for target shooting and vermin control though.

Edit. Cass beat me to it by a few seconds.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Hah, too slow. :D

200.gif
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You'll need a better reason than just vermin control on your own land to get a restricted shotgun as vermin control can be done with a non-restricted shotgun.

I got my restricted shotgun for target shooting.

There's nothing stopping you from getting it for target shooting and vermin control though.

Yeh. It would be for Target. Was just wondering if it could dual purpose for vermin and negate the need for 2 SG’s.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Cass wrote: »
    Once you tick target shooting, have the membership to a range, there is nothing stopping you from ticking hunting. Whether you get it or not is another matter.

However, and this is important, section 33 of the wildlife act, as amended by section 41 of the 2000 act, makes it an offense to hunt "wild mammal" and "will bird" with a restricted shotgun (restricted being my shorthand for any shotgun capable of holding more than 3 cartridges).

Now the 2000 act changed animal to mammal and bird to wild bird, which basically means if it has a season you cannot hunt it with a restricted shotgun. Vermin and anything else not covered by either act is fair game, afaik, and that may also include species under derogation (which by its very name is a suspension of normal law on the matter)

If I plugged the tube when hunting :cool:

• Advertisement

Then you're golden.

Section 33:
    (a) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,

Advertisement