Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment block collapse in Miami America.

• 24-06-2021 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

This was built in the early 80s 1981 to be exact and 2/3rds of the building just collapsed. Looks like there was after been an earthquake or it was bombed but no it just collapsed on it's own. At least 1 person dead. It is located in the surf side area of Miami or just north of Miami beech.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Pretty shocking when you see the amount of building that actually collapsed. There's security footage of the collapse and it comes down so fast, was like the twin towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The speed and compactness of the collapse are very curious.
    Florida and Miami beach are very prone to sinkholes, I wonder if a sinkhole formed beneath the basement/sublevel?
    Thus causing a near immediate collapse of the overhead building.

It could also be related to the work on the roof that was ongoing?

I'll be very interested in the cause of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It'll be amazing if there was only one death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Just saw a video of it.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just saw the video clip on CNN there. Christ, looks CGI'd.

Amazing that any occupants survived that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If I hasn’t seen the video of the collapse which suggest something like a building failure, I’d have said it was an explosion of some kind because when I saw a picture of it, I said it looked like the federal building in Oklahoma City which thankfully it’s not that but I can’t have been the only one to see a similarity between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jesus its only when you see the collapse footage you realise how much came down, from the "current" photos I thought it was only the fronts of some apartments.

It seems like it has to be a combination of factors for so much of it to collapse without an explosion, I was thinking it would be more like a car hitting a pillar in a car park, but that alone wouldnt explain the amount of structure that came down imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Freaky.
    Youd automatically think poor construction or something but the building has been up 40 years. Very strange.

• Advertisement

Probably a sink hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

isha wrote: »
    Probably a sink hole.

Looks something like that from pictures from above

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Any update on casualties, reasons for the collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Rumoured on Twitter that John McAfee owned an apartment in the building.

Q-anon and MAGA crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Rumoured on Twitter that John McAfee owned an apartment in the building.

Q-anon and MAGA crowd

If he died just before COVID started, now that would have been a good conspiracy. It’s like they’re just getting lazy now.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Any update on casualties, reasons for the collapse?

4 dead. 159 missing. It was a catastrophic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This happened in the middle of the night when I presume most of the residents would be at home. Unfortunately most of those missing are probably dead. Horrendous disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Horrific what happened in Miami, could it be something to do with floods or Hurricane surge? Everytime a hurricane hits/passes Miami some of the streets flood with seawater for days. Can't be good for buildings.

The scary thing is Miami is full of skyscraper, this apartment block isn't that high.

Hope the find some survivors.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cause-miami-condo-collapse-unclear-experts-say-barrier-islands-present-n1272316

Another issue at hand for the Surfside community is one shared with all of Miami Beach: The towns are built on a barrier island. Climate scientists and geologists have long warned that these islands cannot be developed responsibly. They are made of a loose mixture of sand and mud and provide a natural protection for the shoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

isha wrote: »
    4 dead. 159 missing. It was a catastrophic accident.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

South America
    North America
    Miami America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It will take some time to investigate and come to a formal conclusion about the cause: however, the BBC is reporting that the building was 40 years old, in the process of recertification, and required repairs.

Also, a study published last year found that the ground under it (reclaimed wetlands) was subsiding at 2mm a year during the 1990s. That may not sound like much, but it's enough to redistribute the loads unevenly and possibly exceed the building's structural capacity.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

2 and a half days later they are still taking about bringing in heavy equipment and the Governor saying more help is required if needed.

If something similar happened here every large machine in the country and anyone with knowledge would be there within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

2 and a half days later they are still taking about bringing in heavy equipment and the Governor saying more help is required if needed.

If something similar happened here every large machine in the country and anyone with knowledge would be there within a few hours.

you cant just bring in large machines it would collapse the entire structure of rubble/debris.

the search and rescue teams working on this are highly trained professionals - many had worked on the 9/11 site.

FEMA was called in 2 days ago and the Mayor said earlier they have loads of search and rescue - teams came in from Israel and mexico also. there is a fire burning underneath the rubble now so making it painstakingly slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And I'm sure they'd be told thanks but leave it to the experts tbh.

Advertisement