Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

License application - typically waiting times

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ jooksavage


    I applied for a 22whm license nearly six weeks ago. I already have 2 shotguns and my cabinet has been inspected. Haven't heard anything back in relation to new license. The relevant guard is never in when I ring and doesn't return my messages. I'm getting a bit fed up TBH. How long does it take for license to come through now roughly? I don't remember it taking this long with previous applications.


Comments



  • jooksavage wrote: »
    I applied for a 22lr license nearly six weeks ago. I already have 2 shotguns and my cabinet has been inspected. Haven't heard anything back in relation to new license. The relevant guard is never in when I ring and doesn't return my messages. I'm getting a bit fed up TBH. How long does it take for license to come through now roughly? I don't remember it taking this long with previous applications.

    I’ve had applications take 2 weeks and other take 4 months.. it’s a complete lottery




  • GolfVI wrote: »
    I’ve had applications take 2 weeks and other take 4 months.. it’s a complete lottery

    Meanwhile the bloody summer ebbs away...




  • 2 weeks to 7 months.




  • I’d give it the allowed 3 months before you go looking.

    On average mine had been 3 months.




  • Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I’d give it the allowed 3 months before you go looking.

    On average mine had been 3 months.

    Ah after 6 weeks and not a cricket I’d be trying to get talking to the FO to make sure it was on their desk at least. If one drops an application into a small station it can take forever and a day to make it to the FO in the regional/divisional station.

    This is the nature of war. By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself.



  • Advertisement


  • Feisar wrote: »
    Ah after 6 weeks and not a cricket I’d be trying to get talking to the FO to make sure it was on their desk at least. If one drops an application into a small station it can take forever and a day to make it to the FO in the regional/divisional station.

    Never had one go missing.

    Just inefficiency/ laziness getting it processed.

    Posting it to FO at district/divisional HQ would eliminate small station issue referenced.




  • jooksavage wrote: »
    I applied for a 22whm license nearly six weeks ago. I already have 2 shotguns and my cabinet has been inspected. Haven't heard anything back in relation to new license. The relevant guard is never in when I ring and doesn't return my messages. I'm getting a bit fed up TBH. How long does it take for license to come through now roughly? I don't remember it taking this long with previous applications.

    In my neck it usually takes 3 months+.
    Even for subs & renewals with nothing materially changed :mad:

    I would strongly recommend, since you cannot get hold of the FO, giving your district a ring and asking to speak to the super's secretary, or get put through to his office.
    The guards there will be able to look up the roster of what they have ongoing for your application and whether they have received it yet, or even whether the record exists on pulse at that stage.
    They can also often put some pressure on the FO to get their arse in gear if it's been sitting that long with no movement.

    That said I have had ~8 months wait at the longest. For a renewal.
    This was in the era before I chased things, mind.
    Evidently they misplaced my renewal. In the end it got sorted with much apologies and an advisory to hand in anything firearm related in future into the FO's station directly, not my local, to avoid these kind of "mistakes".

    I'll also email the FO when I have something handed in, so they are aware and I then have a timeline to go off.

    Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

    S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

    Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

    S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban





  • jooksavage wrote: »
    I applied for a 22whm license nearly six weeks ago. I already have 2 shotguns and my cabinet has been inspected. Haven't heard anything back in relation to new license. The relevant guard is never in when I ring and doesn't return my messages. I'm getting a bit fed up TBH. How long does it take for license to come through now roughly? I don't remember it taking this long with previous applications.

    Write to him. Outline how many times you have rung and are disquieted that you have not received any reply. You may suggest that unless he replies to your letter you will find it necessary to contact the Superintendent. This generally produces a reaction.




  • I've never had a new application or a renewal done and dusted and back to me in less than 8 months. It's crazy carry on. No where else would that level of "service". (Lets call it service for want of a better word) be tolerated.





  • And they'll just send it straight back to the local station from divisional HQ.As it didnt go thru the proper channels. Been there done it.

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Advertisement
Advertisement