Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Candyman (2021)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brevity

It really does. Handy for me as I had no real intention in watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Surely the original movie gave too much away?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Different settings, characters, protagonists. It's not a scene for scene remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Looks good. Im in

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not really doing it for me..

.. although Tony Todd is back at the very least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Jordan Peele produced is it not?

I've a soft spot for the original. Probably due to nostalgia plus quality Philip Glass score.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

S.M.B. wrote: »

I've a soft spot for the original. Probably due to nostalgia plus quality Philip Glass score.

It has a really striking urban gothic quality I can't really find anywhere else. I'm very fond of it, intrigued by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does seem to give away a lot.

Rewatched the original recently since had the tune in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Looks better then the terrible Jacobs ladder movie released last year. I doubt they'll keep the score from the original don't want to draw too many comparisons,Vanessa Williams who played the mother in the original is in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

S.M.B. wrote: »

Yep, he’s a producer and co-writer. The film is from director Nia DaCosta. Haven’t seen her feature Little Woods, but by most accounts it seems to have been a very good film indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Loved the original,thought Virginia Madsen was brilliant in it, why a reboot,can they not just leave the classic as it is??????

Looks like a spoof of the original. Like it’s a comedy. Not digging this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Can't believe they remade this.

The original is a classic, even at my ripe old age I still can't say Candyman in front of the mirror 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Wait, I thought this was a sequel to the first movie? Not a remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Looks like a spoof of the original. Like it’s a comedy. Not digging this at all

It doesn't look like a reboot of Candyman so much as it looks like a remake of one of the awful slasher sequels to the movie that ultimately damaged the reputation of what I (and many) consider a genre classic.
    Seriously, WTF is with Beyonce's 'Say My Name' in the trailer? Jesus, how on the nose is that? I'd even accept the Blumhouse cliche of 'creepy slow piano version of popular song in the trailer' over that really jarring choice. It sure is a long way from the haunting and memorable Philip Glass score from the original.

I also believe that Tony Todd isn't involved at all, which is kind if sad. While not quite as iconic as Robert Englund's Freddy Kruger, Todd, like Englund brought a certain x-factor to the roll and his distinctive deep voice and charmingly creepy and intimidating performance will be next to impossible replicate.

It just looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I get the impression that it's a 'legacy sequel'. It's probably irksome that 'legacy sequel' is a necessary addition to our movie vocabulary but alas it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Wish more teasers were like this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's really well done. Reminds me of the Deathly Hallows scene in Harry Potter. Out of nowhere and just beautifully done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Powerful trailer. Quite a timely movie too given the current BLM movement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This has been delayed into 2021:

https://twitter.com/niadacosta/status/1304758133999493120?s=21

I’ve recently seen both DaCosta’s last film Little Woods (which is really good - in Prime if anyone’s interested, under the title Crossing The Line for some reason!) and the original Candyman in the cinema. A very promising young black filmmaker taking on one of the most socially-conscious horror films of them all is an intriguing prospect, so really looking forward to checking this out when it does arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I forgot this was even a thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That actually looks pretty good; honestly, I can barely remember watching the original so have no prior resting bias. Trailer might give a little bit too much away - are they perhaps implying
    the Candyman isn't real this time, and just hallucinations of this lead character going crazy, himself the killer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

^That's what I thought also. Hopefully it's deliberate misdirection rather than too much being given away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Haven’t rated any of Peeles movies so far. Doubt this will change that.

Fandymo wrote: »
    Haven’t rated any of Peeles movies so far. Doubt this will change that.

No doubt will end up being more woke than a toddler with ADHD who consumed a whole 2 litre bottle of full fat Coca-Cola

Peele is a man with the fecal midas touch for the most part imo - most things coming from him or associated with him are shyte -> e.g.

Twilight Zone series reboot (dire)

"Us" (rubbish)

("Get out" was ok but also very over-rated)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

glasso wrote: »
    No doubt will end up being more woke than a toddler with ADHD who consumed a whole 2 litre bottle of full fat Coca-Cola

Peele is a man with the fecal midas touch for the most part imo - most things coming from him or associated with him are shyte -> e.g.

Twilight Zone series reboot (dire)

"Us" (rubbish)

("Get out" was ok but also very over-rated)

Jaysus, it would be desperate if there was anything about race or local urban tensions or gentrification or anything in a Candyman film.

What next, kinky weirdness in Hellraiser? These kids today, eh?

Jaysus, it would be desperate if there was anything about race or local urban tensions or gentrification or anything in a Candyman film.

What next, kinky weirdness in Hellraiser? These kids today, eh?

when it becomes the over-obvious and over-arching consuming aspect of the piece it's not a movie anymore - it's some socio-political sketch.

over-woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Aside from all the woke nonsense yap from the usual quarters, I can't say that I've been that impressed by anything Peele has done myself. 'Get Out' was ok. But, really, it was just ok. It wasn't some amazing revelation in cinema or anything. 'Us' was disappointing, to put it mildly, and the rebooted 'Twilight Zone' just flat out sucked balls, although I don't think his participation in that was that deep.

This thing doesn't seem to be any better. I remember seeing 'Candyman' on a whim in the 90's (a decade of such neutered horror that it's probably best forgotten almost entirely) and to my surprise it turned out to be quite a good little movie. It was nothing brilliant, mind you, but that remake trailer did absolutely bugger all for me, and if ever there was film that didn't need a remake...

Still, I am totally at a loss as to the gush that Peele gets. He's competent and can direct a film. But other than that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

• Advertisement

Once again, Jordan Peele is not directing this film. He's just a co-writer. It's being directed by Nia DaCosta. I've removed Peele's name from the thread title as it keeps coming up as if he's the main creative force behind it.

And secondly, complaining about 'wokeness' and 'socio-political' themes around a bloody Candyman film is deeply funny to me. The first film is perhaps the most overtly 'socio-political' slasher film ever made, with issues of class and race deeply embedded into its very DNA. Boggles the mind anyone could have watched that film and come away with any different impression.

Advertisement