Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shocking testimony from Britney Spears

• 24-06-2021 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I know there's a Britney thread in Celebrity & Showbiz, but traffic there is minimal.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0623/1231008-britney-spears-tells-us-court-i-want-my-life-back/

Britney Spears was finally able to speak at length yesterday about her subjugation at the hands of her father, in the form of a conservatorship, where she has no control over her own life.

Some of the shocking statements include being forced to be on birth control, being forced to be on lithium which makes her feel drunk, forced to go to therapy which she has no say over, and feeling angry and depressed. She didn't even know she was allowed to apply for the conservatorship to end. 13 years this has been going on!

How does a legal system exist which allows these kinds of conditions? She said the judge made her feel like she was dead, the last time she spoke. The whole thing is deeply disturbing. The woman has had no autonomy, no freedom, for well over a decade now. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Her Da’s a bit of a Fritzl isn’t he

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Leave Britney alone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Where's her mother in all of this? Why was no one there for her to get her away from the conservatorship? It saddens me that all she wants is to have a normal life but hasn't been able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Thing could get a lot more interesting when her kids reach adulthood and are free to talk. Mad she gets a weekly allowance to go to starbuck while the dad is pocketing thousands from her conservatorship

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Normal One wrote: »
    Her Da’s a bit of a Fritzl isn’t he

Well she might not be an Ivanka but if Britney was your daughter you'd want to date her too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

her supporters are an odd bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Well she might not be an Ivanka but if Britney was your daughter you'd want to date her too

No Donald, bad Donald. Back in your box Donald.

Normal One wrote: »
    No Donald, bad Donald. Back in your box Donald.

Hit me baby

One more time

Isn’t the standard of posting supposed to be higher here?

Anyway I don’t know much about the woman but this conservatorship sounds like legalised slavery in many ways.

Pretty amazing the courts have mandated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭randd1

Yeah, they're a bit special alright, some of them are completely off the wall.

How anyone could believe any of their "evidence" they post online is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

KKkitty wrote: »
    Where's her mother in all of this? Why was no one there for her to get her away from the conservatorship? It saddens me that all she wants is to have a normal life but hasn't been able to.

There was a documentary about Britney in about 2004.

In it, a guy alleged that her mother tried to get her into a relationship with him, when he was 20, and she was 14.

fvp4 wrote: »
    Isn’t the standard of posting supposed to be higher here?

Out of all the crap that gets posted on the site.....poor oul' Britney seems a strange choice of topic to make a stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

they are her supporters, the rest is opinion which matters of course

what did you achieve at 16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4
    625m views

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Out of all the crap that gets posted on the site.....poor oul' Britney seems a strange choice of topic to make a stand on.

Seems like she’s living a horrible existence regardless of who she is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shelga wrote: »
    How does a legal system exist which allows these kinds of conditions?
    When there is a large chunk of money to be made and a system that actively supports more money more "justice" it's not that much of a shock.

Reading the transcript of her testimony she does come across as quite confused, rambling and even troubled. The medical details of the reasons for her conservatorship are sealed, but the fact it was granted in the first place and that her kids were given sole guardianship to her ex partner suggests she was at least in a troubled place with mental illness at the time and has been undergoing treatment since. It would be pretty rare for such a conservatorship of an adult to be granted, especially such a high profile one. That said that they went for and were granted the nuclear option is concerning and that this has been kept in place since and that she has been performing and earning millions for others, others who are in control of that conservatorship and her is very troubling indeed. If she were that mentally ill, then how do they justify pimping her out for money? Why wasn't she treated if what she suffers from can be treated, so that she may live some sort of normal life out of the spotlight and the money earning?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A truly ****ed up legal system.

fvp4 wrote: »
    Seems like she’s living a horrible existence regardless of who she is.

I agree 100% on that.

There is not much than be said otherwise on the matter as regards what could be being posted here for high-brow discussion. I'm sure that those rules or systems exist or were set up for a genuine reason. And those rules are possibly then being abused for other motivations. But it is in a foreign jurisdiction and she is a fairly famous (ex-?) celebrity. There are many worse things happening in the world right now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

All this talk about free Britney and all that. But reality is you don't get thrown into legal things like this unless not all your dogs are barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So when it came out about her getting to speak at first yesterday it was Sky I think who said Britney had came out and said she was 1000000 per cent happy with the conservatorship and then it got all changed and she is not happy at all which is good to hear. She should be let put of it to live her life and if she has a mental illness well then she should be given help for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

All this talk about free Britney and all that. But reality is you don't get thrown into legal things like this unless not all your dogs are barking.

She clearly had severe mental health issues at the time.

But does that mean that 13 years later, she should have no bodily autonomy at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

We may not be privvy to all the details, but my goodness there are far "worse" parents out there in charge of kids, and their own lives.
    Why was this very austere, drastic decision taken in this instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Equally you shouldn't be performing like a dancing bear.

So this whole thing is very problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Could with get Mary Robinson to head over and have a quite chat with her.....she seems to be well versed in these types of situations......??!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

She clearly had severe mental health issues at the time.

But does that mean that 13 years later, she should have no bodily autonomy at all?

That's the kicker. What has she done or said to warrant it on-going.

13 years is a long time. She can state anything she did back then was a different person and what not. Has to be something currently....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

If she was that unwell she wouldnt have earned over 30million in those 13 years by having a vegas residency or as a judge on american x factor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It sounds a little bit like that Black Mirror episode with Miley Cyrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Rose McGowan comes to her defence, is she giving a fair description of events, sounds really bad if not following it

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1408040493309698053

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If she was that unwell she wouldnt have earned over 30million in those 13 years by having a vegas residency or as a judge on american x factor

Actually, they pulled the Vegas residency and has refused to perform until it’s lifted.

Nice gaslighting though. Suggesting she’s actually grand when she was very, very ill when it was slapped on her.

She doesn’t get a penny, she isn’t allowed her passport. She has an IUD and needs her father’s permission to have it removed so she can have a family.

Why are you turning this into a ‘shes grand’ scenario? How would you feel in her shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I think at the time it was needed, but she basically said they are forcing her to work and it’s for their benefit.

The whole forcing her to have an Iud is disgusting. It doesn’t seem like any of her family are looking out for her, seems like they are only there for the money which is just sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Faugheen wrote: »
    Actually, they pulled the Vegas residency and has refused to perform until it’s lifted.

Nice gaslighting though. Suggesting she’s actually grand when she was very, very ill when it was slapped on her.

She doesn’t get a penny, she isn’t allowed her passport. She has an IUD and needs her father’s permission to have it removed so she can have a family.

Why are you turning this into a ‘shes grand’ scenario? How would you feel in her shoes?

I think they meant if she is fit to work, then she isn’t as unwell as her father is making out her to be.

Advertisement