Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol MPV

Options
  • 23-06-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi, hoping for some recommendations, currently driving an 08 Ford Cmax diesel and looking to come up a few years to a 2012.

Problem is my driving has changed a lot in last year(whose hasnt!) so realistically Im looking for a petrol now but really like the size and height that the cmax gives.
    Plus with two young kids I'm in and out of the back seat regularly and my back prefers the height!!

So can anyone give recommendations for petrol MPV types?

I've been looking at the Opel Mervira, Peugeot 3008 so far but not sure what others would suit my requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Edit to add that a decent boot is also required (again due to young kids)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

coffeyt wrote: »
    Hi, hoping for some recommendations, currently driving an 08 Ford Cmax diesel and looking to come up a few years to a 2012.

Problem is my driving has changed a lot in last year(whose hasnt!) so realistically Im looking for a petrol now but really like the size and height that the cmax gives.
    Plus with two young kids I'm in and out of the back seat regularly and my back prefers the height!!

So can anyone give recommendations for petrol MPV types?

I've been looking at the Opel Mervira, Peugeot 3008 so far but not sure what others would suit my requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Outlander PHEV could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Peugeot 5008 and Toyota Prius Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Outlander PHEV could be an option.

Thanks but I'd guess out of my price range as I don't think there are any earlier than 2014 and I'm looking at spending €6-7000 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

dacia duster

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    dacia duster

100% of Dusters sold here between 2012 and 2017 were diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Thanks but I'd guess out of my price range as I don't think there are any earlier than 2014 and I'm looking at spending €6-7000 max.

I think you looking for a rare car (petrol MPV), and your budget is too low. Petrol MPV will be heavy on fuel, but you aren't doing the mileage for a diesel.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/touran/fpa/202105212922506?journey=Search

Any cheap cars will be high mileage and/or Japanese imports. I know people will swear blind that the Japanese imports are no different to European cars, in terms of parts etc. But its not a route I wanted to go down personally.

You don't really need a MPV for 2 kids.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    I think you looking for a rare car (petrol MPV), and your budget is too low. Petrol MPV will be heavy on fuel, but you aren't doing the mileage for a diesel.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/touran/fpa/202105212922506?journey=Search

Any cheap cars will be high mileage and/or Japanese imports. I know people will swear blind that the Japanese imports are no different to European cars, in terms of parts etc. But its not a route I wanted to go down personally.

One doesn't need a car at all. Yet a car has a lot of benefits. Similarly a MPV has its own.

Thanks for the input but unfortunately due to issues with my back I do need something higher when lifting kids in and out so if you could recommend a body shape other than MPV that would give me height that is available in petrol, that would be great!

grogi wrote: »
    One doesn't need a car at all. Yet a car has a lot of benefits. Similarly a MPV has its own.

..and yet not having a car does not meet the OP requirements. So how is that helpful?

Whereas an MPV isn't the only body style that meets the OP requirements. A SUV or Crossover also meets the requirements and gives the OP a lot more choice.

Thanks for the input but unfortunately due to issues with my back I do need something higher when lifting kids in and out so if you could recommend a body shape other than MPV that would give me height that is available in petrol, that would be great!

Your issue is there are not many MPVs and less again in petrol, and fewer still at the price your looking for. I think the most difficult thing to find will be petrol. Very few cars in petrol in the years your looking at.

• Advertisement

Peugeot 5008 and Toyota Prius Plus

Prius is low though.

..and yet not having a car does not meet the OP requirements. So how is that helpful?

Whereas an MPV isn't the only body style that meets the OP requirements. A SUV or Crossover also meets the requirements and gives the OP a lot more choice.

At the time you started throwing wisdom about kids and MPVs, the only requirement was an MPV. OP wanted an MPV, advice on MPV. Simples.

At the time you started throwing wisdom about kids and MPVs, the only requirement was an MPV. OP wanted an MPV, advice on MPV. Simples.

It's a forum. It's purpose is "throwing wisdom".

Wants height for kids seats due to his back and space. That's in the first post. MPVs aren't the only car type that gives you that. I like MPVs but you have to be realist.

Problem is my driving has changed a lot in last year(whose hasnt!) so realistically Im looking for a petrol now but really like the size and height that the cmax gives. ..

I had the same issue. Our old petrol MPV died. But couldn't find decent petrol one to replace it. Had to go diesel. I'm planning lots of trips but don't know what commuting or travel will look like next year. So while I usually hold on to cars for a long time, I'm thinking that if this one doesn't work out I'll change again in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thanks for some of the recommendation, didn't mean to start a debate.

As I said in my other post I'm not stuck on MPV but really need some height so specifically looking for models that give me some height in a petrol preferably at least a 2011 in €6-7000 range. Don't know if I'm being realistic or not.

Someone I spoke to earlier suggested a Suzuki SX4 (don't know much about them) but as I said this is the type of suggestions I'm hoping for!
    I'm happy to keep my options open.

Thanks for some of the recommendation, didn't mean to start a debate.

As I said in my other post I'm not stuck on MPV but really need some height so specifically looking for models that give me some height in a petrol preferably at least a 2011 in €6-7000 range. Don't know if I'm being realistic or not.

Someone I spoke to earlier suggested a Suzuki SX4 (don't know much about them) but as I said this is the type of suggestions I'm hoping for!

Qashqai had a few petrols knocking around

I'd go with more unorthodox - Skoda Roomster.

Peugeot Partner or Citroen Berlingo might be good, but very rare in petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

fits wrote: »

@ OP That's a lovely Mokka and they are a very good car. The brother in law has one and has not had any problems or faults with it. It is very comfortable over bombs and ruts and handles well too.
    The interior might not suit all tastes do but I think I could live with it if the price is right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WertdeerSC

I had a Mokka as a hire car. Boot space is 360 litres versus 432 in your c max, but the issue for me was the width, it's very narrow, I couldn't even fit a folded up umbrella buggy in it, so I had to use the front passenger seat and footwell. It's also pretty cramped in the back and overall inside, bigger than a Corsa but smaller than an Astra. After the higher roofline of your cmax I would say it would feel clostraphobic. I'd second someone else's suggestion of a Quashqai. Even if it was a diesel, the 1.5dci engine has fancy whizz bang tech in it which burns the soot from inside the DPF at all speeds, you don't have to go on long runs. I have used the same engine for mostly short town journey's for the past year, travelled 8k Kms rather than the usual 25-30k and the car has given me no bother and still got good economy. Not sure if you could get one in your budget but I'm also a fan of the S max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

She is a big car and I would think a 1 6 petrol in it would be underpowered. The Dad had one with the 1.8 diesel and that felt underpowered when it was fully loaded.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-ford-smax-1-6-petrol-81k-nct-10-22-mint/27617080

Nice car do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AMKC wrote: »
    She is a big car and I would think a 1 6 petrol in it would be underpowered. The Dad had one with the 1.8 diesel and that felt underpowered when it was fully loaded.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-ford-smax-1-6-petrol-81k-nct-10-22-mint/27617080

Nice car do.

That’s the 1.6 Ecoboost out of the Fiesta ST. It’s 160bhp so won’t have an issue with power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

AMKC wrote: »

Nice car do.

It's criminal the government charge €570 a year (well now €600) on a 1.6 family car

wingnut wrote: »
    It's criminal the government charge €570 a year (well now €600) on a 1.6 family car

The tax system is a disaster, when you think I have a X5 and only paying 280 euro a year. :confused:

Thanks for all the replies, between suggestions here and speaking to people I've narrowed it down to the following, all in petrol 2012-2013 models
    Nissan Qashqai 1.6
    Open Mokka 1.6
    Suzuki SX4 1.5

While the boot in the Suzuki is small the GLX seems to come with roof bars so that would compensate if extra space needed for holidays etc.

My main concern now is reliability and headspace in the rear, someone earlier mentioned that the Mokka can feel cramped, so specifically now looking for personal feedback on the headspace in each model?
    For example my mam has a Juke and kids heads practically touching the roof when in their car seats so worried the qashqai may be similar?
    Also 're the SMax, they are nice but feel that's it's nearly too big for the driving I'll be doing, ie school runs, town driving mainly!

Thanks again for the help!!

Advertisement