Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia fire warning shots at British Navy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This will end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

UK MOD denying allegation, stating that RUS had planned naval exercises and that UK naval assets had not been subject to naval/aerial warning shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

UK MOD denying allegation, stating that RUS had planned naval exercises and that UK naval assets had not been subject to naval/aerial warning shots.

I heard the MODs tried to site ban the Russians from the UK. They're always at that craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fairness, there is a massive NATO fleet heading into the Black Sea for a big exercise involving Ukraine, which is bound to upset Russia.

However that doesn't excuse aggressive and reckless behaviour like this in international waters and its long past time Russia were ejected from Crimea one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It's a NATO exercise, not just the Royal Navy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Brits doing business supplying and upgrading for the Ukraine navy pissing off them ransonware ruskies

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-23/russia-fires-warning-shots-at-british-warship-in-black-sea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

I heard the MODs tried to site ban the Russians from the UK. They're always at that craic.

i think they successfully appealed it in Dispute Resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its long past time Russia were ejected from Crimea one way or the other.

Is it worth WWIII over?

I think that's what it would take. They ain't leaving their principal naval base on the Black Sea.

Same reason the Brits won't let Scotland go. Not without a cast iron agreement on nuclear subs bases. Sort of like the Russians had with Ukraine and the Crimea/Sevastopol, and were afraid of losing following the ousting of Yanukovych from Ukraine.

Power politics is its own immovable force.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Russia has naval bases other than Crimea in the Black Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In fairness, there is a massive NATO fleet heading into the Black Sea for a big exercise involving Ukraine, which is bound to upset Russia.

However that doesn't excuse aggressive and reckless behaviour like this in international waters and its long past time Russia were ejected from Crimea one way or the other.

Yeah a big war is exactly what the world needs.

Who is going to eject them? The Brits and Americans? Who can't even beat the Taliban? I wouldn't be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Side Question:
    Are subs used / effective in modern warfare or are they going the way of the tank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

This is gas , seen a vid the other day of Uk new aircraft carrier with us f35s onboard and they were goin on about the Russians coming by for a luck for curiousity and showing respect to each other etc … now they know they weren’t saying hi or tryin to show respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I still have some loo-roll stockpiled from lockdown 1 so I'll be ok if WWIII kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Varik wrote: »
    Russia has naval bases other than Crimea in the Black Sea

Fair enough. Changed my post from "only" to "principal" but Sevastopol is still the Headquarters of the Black Sea fleet and their main naval base.

Rest of my point stands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Don't poke the bear, or you might get mauled. The excuse by the British is laughable. They pushed their luck, got too close and the Russians barked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Russia could nuke London and RTE would still have the delta variant as their lead headline.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Don't poke the bear, or you might get mauled. The excuse by the British is laughable. They pushed their luck, got too close and the Russians barked back.

Who's side are you on, Nato or the Ruskies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have no skin in the game on either side.

Tabnabs wrote: »

Apparently the Captain of HMS Defender is a Cathedrals entusiast and really wanted to see St Vladimir's Cathedral.

better?

the Mod of the survivalist forum?

Probably just wants east and west throwing nukes at each other so he can say "I told you so" :D

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    Apparently the Captain of HMS Defender is a Cathedrals entusiast and really wanted to see St Vladimir's Cathedral.

better?

The UK doesn't even have Teresa May to run off to Brussels looking for help this time

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Side Question:
    Are subs used / effective in modern warfare or are they going the way of the tank ?

Limited to six I think in normal time with three more in extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Side Question:

Of course they are. You can still sneak subs right up to the coast of your enemies to launch missiles from.

In fact Russia has done this several times in recent history just to prove to the yanks that they can circumvent their defenses.

Limited to six I think in normal time with three more in extra time

ooooh you!! *shakes fist

The UK doesn't even have Teresa May to run off to Brussels looking for help this time

Why would she want help from Brussels when the NATO fleet is off the Crimea, hence the Ruskies getting agitated.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Of course they are. You can still sneak subs right up to the coast of your enemies to launch missiles from.

In fact Russia has done this several times in recent history just to prove to the yanks that they can circumvent their defenses.

Thanks, was just wondering with technological advancements if they were still as effective. Submarine combat must be the most nerve shredding experience wouldn't step foot on one for all the money in the word.

oh no, does that mean the UK won't have the mighty EU to bash the bad boys, like they over Navalny and Roman Protasevich?

Russia get away with whatever they like, because no one wants to take them on. Which is understandable because Russia are like the nutter in the playground. Everyone knows they could give them a good kicking, but no one will go near them because you're never sure what the mad bastard might actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

better?
    Be careful with the Russkies - they can be poisonous.

oh no, does that mean the UK won't have the mighty EU to bash the bad boys, like they over Navalny and Roman Protasevich?

Russia get away with whatever they like, because no one wants to take them on. Which is understandable because Russia are like the nutter in the playground. Everyone knows they could give them a good kicking, but no one will go near them because you're never sure what the mad bastard might actually do.

Maybe you are correct. But then Ms. May's dash to Brussels for support on the issue, despite being in the middle of rows about Brexit would seem to have been even a bit more embarrassing and illogical - no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russian bull**** ,

They said similar previously and shared zero evidence to back up their claims ,
    If they fired on a NATO vessel they would face consequences , just bigging up oul Vlad as usual

Advertisement