Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS!

• 22-06-2021 7:26pm

Greetings all,

It's time for the Walrus-Heeps crossover that literally nobody asked for! Six rounds of music fun, and a final round of guessing game shenanigans.

Welcome to WalrusHeeps!

jtGYP80gl5.png

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. The standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories and a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) and the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why am I doing it?

Well I already ran one, when you let your guard down for that split second. And I'd do it again. *sips tea* Goodbye.

No seriously though, it's fun to run and I get to discover new music. What's not to like?

What kind of music do I like?

"A bit of everything" is the cliche answer but I guess I would mostly be into indie and alternative with smatterings of dreampop, shoegaze, synthpop and occasionally some jazz. Favourite artists of mine include Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Björk, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, The Knife/Fever Ray, Beach House, Lana Del Rey and Villagers.

I'm not generally a fan of hip-hop (with some exceptions), country or heavy metal, but I am open to being converted to anything - risky choices often pay off better than safe ones!

How do I play?
    Please send me your six songs and your ten Heeps answers by PM. Please do not post your submissions on thread.

Entries will be open for a good few weeks, as I probably won't get around the reveal until August.

Happy Walrussing (and Heepsing)! :)

The Categories

1. Short and Sweet
    A song doesn't have to be long to be awesome. Give me a great song that's less than three minutes in length.

2. The exception to the rule
    You know that artist you hate? Well they have that one song that you actually quite like, don't they? Even if you don't want to admit it.
    In previous Walruses we've had "songs from a genre you don't normally listen to". This is similar but different; send me a song you like by an artist that you otherwise don't particularly like.

3. PRIDE
    June is Pride month and music has no shortage of wonderful artists from the LGBTQ+ community. Send me any song by an LGBTQ+ artist (if it's a group or duo, at least one LGBTQ+ member is sufficient). The song itself doesn't have to be LGBTQ-themed, though it can be if you like.

4. Nordic F.I.N.D.S
    Some of my favourite songs come from artists from Northern Europe. Send me any song by an artist from one of these five countries - Finland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden (or F.I.N.D.S., as per the acronym I just made up)

5. All That Jazz Got me the Blues
    Jazz and blues are two genres I want to listen to more of. So please send me something jazzy or bluesy. Or maybe a song that's both!

6. Choose your Starter
    You've just turned ten years old, so you're about to visit your local mad scientist to receive a dangerous creature that will travel with you as you go capturing and enslaving other dangerous creatures with no adult supervision. Which of the three types - Grass, Fire or Water - will you choose for your starter Pokémon?

Send me a song inspired by, or has themes of, Grass*, Fire or Water. (*Grass can include anything to do with plants, trees, flowers or nature in general). Feel free to think outside the box here; a song about burning passion or romance could be inspired by fire, any song with rivers/oceans/seas/rain could be water inspired, or even just songs with the colour green/red(orange)/blue could be Grass/Fire/Water themed. Those are just a few suggestions, feel free to come up with your own; just be sure to tell me which of the three types your song matches with.

And that brings us to category #7 - HEEPS.

What is Heeps?

Arguably the most fun/frustrating game on Boards, Heeps is "second best Sheep" - a game where you have to guess the SECOND MOST popular answer to a question. If you guess the most popular answer, you score zero.

I will give you ten popular albums and ask you to name one song that appears on each of them. Research IS allowed and there are no incorrect answers - only low scoring ones! You want to avoid the most popular answer...but be aware that everyone else playing does too. This round will be scored the same as the other rounds, so whoever wins the Heeps round will get the same number of points as the winner of each Walrus round.

Here are your ten Heeps questions (remember you ARE allowed to use Google to help you out here; I haven't even listened to all ten of these myself!) :

i) Name a song from Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles
    ii) Name a song from Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
    iii) Name a song from Hounds of Love by Kate Bush
    iv) Name a song from The Joshua Tree by U2
    v) Name a song from Metallica (aka The Black Album) by Metallica
    vi) Name a song from Nevermind by Nirvana
    vii) Name a song from Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette
    viii) Name a song from Spice by The Spice Girls
    ix) Name a song from Funeral by Arcade Fire
    x) Name a song from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West

Remember, PM me your answers please. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

4. Nordic F.I.N.D.S
    Some of my favourite songs come from artists from Northern Europe. Send me any song by an artist from one of these five countries - Finland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden (or F.I.N.D.S., as per the acronym I just made up)
    Oh this is a minefield!
    I'm the same, absolutely love loads from these countries but they're all pretty unique, wouldn't appeal to everyone. This could go very well or very badly....

Thinking about it now, I'm tempted to have my entry for every round fit this criteria. What could go wrong? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

This is my first time taking part in a Walrus. I was tempted by the Heeps!

Also, did you draw that walrus/sheep pic, Homer?

Love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Haven't even looked at Categories yet because I needed to say this first...

Walrus and a filthy HEEPS?!? Why would you combine something I love with something I hate like that? It's like you want me to disown you... I thought we were friends.

Walrus and a filthy HEEPS?!? Why would you combine something I love with something I hate like that? It's like you want me to disown you... I thought we were friends.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest...

Curse you and your excellent categories - they're going to be fun to choose songs for...

And I reluctantly admit having looked at the questions that even the bloody HEEPS part looks fun... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Oh this is a minefield!
    I'm the same, absolutely love loads from these countries but they're all pretty unique, wouldn't appeal to everyone. This could go very well or very badly....

Thinking about it now, I'm tempted to have my entry for every round fit this criteria. What could go wrong? :D

You actually gave me a great idea EN, I think I might be able to take it a step further and limit it to one country only :)

Irish Aris wrote: »
    You actually gave me a great idea EN, I think I might be able to take it a step further and limit it to one country only :)
    Show off :D

Yeah, I'm going for it. Got provisional picks for all but the last one, and that'll be easy

Also, did you draw that walrus/sheep pic, Homer?

Love it :D

Afraid not. I googled "walrus" "sheep" and that was the most suitable image that popped up.

Hope I haven't broken any copyright laws using that image!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

TLJt.gif

Two entries already received; Declan and purple tin very quick off the mark (and a suggestion of "Weeps" for the name of this game, which seems fitting as it's also the effect it's having on LeVar! :D )

I thought you'd enjoy the crossover alright. ;)

I was worried about Walrus growing stale; I'm taking it to strange new places. :pac:
    Kolido wrote: »
    TLJt.gif

Is this a good or a bad reaction? Haven't seen the film so can't tell!

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    TLJt.gif

Is this from Back to the Future 2 where his family has been mixed up in the future due to a mistake in the past... I won't explain. :D

I think it's Kol, in disguise, pausing by the door so he can run if anyone recognises him as the instigator of the Great Walrus Riot of June 22 2021

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

4. Nordic F.I.N.D.S

I think my knowledge of Nordic music starts with ABBA and ends with Lordi's Eurovision entry. This could be a car crash round for me. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Will get an entry in this eve Homer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Two entries already received; Declan and purple tin very quick off the mark (and a suggestion of "Weeps" for the name of this game, which seems fitting as it's also the effect it's having on LeVar! :D )

I thought you'd enjoy the crossover alright. ;)

I was worried about Walrus growing stale; I'm taking it to strange new places. :pac:

You have never seen Back to the future? Go make a movie walrus with one of these categories either time travel or Michael J. Fox movies. It's a classic and a very enjoyable movie

Sawduck wrote: »
    You have never seen Back to the future? Go make a movie walrus with one of these categories either time travel or Michael J. Fox movies. It's a classic and a very enjoyable movie

Just for completion: there were two sequels. The first is the best, the second is quite good and the third is fair to good. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm in :D

Hopefully my song for jazz and blues is bluesy enough, if not I'll take my last place and hope Homer enjoys the song anyways. Was a bit stumped on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

After a bit of deliberation having been really spoiled for choice on a few of the categories, my entries are now in.

I was a bit too quick deciding on the jazz/blues song. There are plenty of other more bluesy songs I could have chosen, but I will leave it now. :o Getting in my defense early! :D

• Advertisement

After a bit of deliberation having been really spoiled for choice on a few of the categories, my entries are now in.
    Likewise, limiting myself to FINDS seems to have increased my options!

Very happy with the blues one. Randomly saw a great blues band in a bar in Copenhagen about a decade ago. Texted my mates and one remembered their name - they released an album last year and it's brilliant :)

Four entries received already. :)

giphy.gif

I was a bit too quick deciding on the jazz/blues song. There are plenty of other more bluesy songs I could have chosen, but I will leave it now. :o Getting in my defense early! :D

You're welcome to change it if you like, no guarantee you'll be changing it to something that scores better though! :p

But I'm happy to accept any changes for as long as signups are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I missed the first one Homer, now prepare to be wowed by these songs :D

Also charmander is the best starter pokemon, everyone knows this

Just had a look at the first one..

Motorcycle Emptiness in last place deary me

I guess you're not going down the anonymous route again

Sawduck and ShaneU bring us up to six entries! :)

tenor.gif
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Just had a look at the first one..

Motorcycle Emptiness in last place deary me

My feelings toward the Manic Street Preachers make LeVar look like CCR's biggest fan.

5ehji6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

4. Nordic F.I.N.D.S

mr-bean-smug-face.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Wooden Spoon entries just submitted!!!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Working on my entry at present!

Advertisement