Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW i3 Rex, benefit in kind

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

hurikane wrote: »
    I’m thinking of buying a second hand i3 REX via my limited company. I want to be sure it qualifies for the 0% BIK.

"Finance Act 2017 introduced an exemption from benefit-in-kind provisions in relation to electric cars. An electric car is one that derives its motive power exclusively from an electric motor."
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-05/05-04-02-20180820093806.pdf

Pretty confident it is exempt but just wondering if anyone has experience with an i3 Rex and revenue / bik?

Rex are not exempt. If it has emissions it gets BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

As ROR said, not exempt. If it's your limited company buy it privately and expense the car if that's applicable. Talk to your accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

R.O.R wrote: »
    Rex are not exempt. If it has emissions it gets BIK.
    Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    As ROR said, not exempt. If it's your limited company buy it privately and expense the car if that's applicable. Talk to your accountant.

The revenue definition refers to how it derives its motive power, the ICE in the Rex doesn’t drive the car, only the electric motor drives it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

So what does the ICE do then?

The revenue definition refers to how it derives its motive power, the ICE in the Rex doesn’t drive the car, only the electric motor drives it.

Fair enough, but take it up with them.

• Advertisement

Homer wrote: »
    So what does the ICE do then?

It charges the battery, it’s a generator

Fair enough, but take it up with them.

I think I’ll have to, just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d say try the EV forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s been discussed in tax practices a few times and gets as much erudition as here on boards. DoF/parliamentary draughtsman has screwed up with the definition. For i3 and i8, I understand that the wheels are only driven by the battery and it should qualify within the exemption (i8 would not due to value, I expect). However, absent a decision via Revenue’s tech inquiries etc, you would likely have to bear some risk on this. I’d expect a fight.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s been discussed in tax practices a few times and gets as much erudition as here on boards. DoF/parliamentary draughtsman has screwed up with the definition. For i3 and i8, I understand that the wheels are only driven by the battery and it should qualify within the exemption (i8 would not due to value, I expect). However, absent a decision via Revenue’s tech inquiries etc, you would likely have to bear some risk on this. I’d expect a fight.

The i8 I believe is a traditional hybrid where the ICE drives the wheels. The i3 is only driven by the the electric motor and the ICE charges the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭spuddy

When it comes to VRT, rightly or wrongly, REX are classified as hybrid, I'd expect it's the same classification used for BIK

I have years of experience with BIK. Rex is not exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

Personally I can't see how anybody would think otherwise, in essence its a car with a petrol engine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭User1998

Casati wrote: »
    Personally I can't see how anybody would think otherwise, in essence its a car with a petrol engine

Its an electric car with a 650cc generator. You can also get it without the generator (or range extender as they call it)

User1998 wrote: »
    Its an electric car with a 650cc generator. You can also get it without the generator (or range extender as they call it)

Much better car too

The i3 Rex, derives it’s motive power from an electric motor. Revenue state that an electric car, is one that derives it’s motive power from an electric motor.

The i3 Rex, derives it’s motive power from an electric motor. Revenue state that an electric car, is one that derives it’s motive power from an electric motor.

You left out the word ‘exclusively’. The thing has an engine in the boot!

Why not just get a newer i3 EV? Much less compromised car with as long range than the Rex

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If/when electric vehicles become more popular the bik and other tax treatment of them will inevitably change.

Cars are a big tax source.

If/when electric vehicles become more popular the bik and other tax treatment of them will inevitably change.

Cars are a big tax source.

From January 2023 - it's already written in to law, but there's still time for it to change:

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2019/45/eng/enacted/a4519.pdf

You left out the word ‘exclusively’.

I didn’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have 30 years of experience with tax and I believe that it is but that the Revenue does not recognise it as they’ve never been forced to!

Who's writing the letter to revenue?

Who's writing the letter to revenue?

Not BMW anyway, it’s technology that they abandoned in favour of full EV. Chevy did the same many moons ago too and I dont think any other car maker sees this as a viable option

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not BMW anyway, it’s technology that they abandoned in favour of full EV. Chevy did the same many moons ago too and I dont think any other car maker sees this as a viable option

Nissan Qashqai new model E-Power drives the wheels via the electric motor only, but the battery is charged by the engine (series hybrid) - for example. It can’t be plugged in, and ultimately relies on the petrol engine. The engine isn’t connected mechanically to the wheels though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nissan Qashqai new model E-Power drives the wheels via the electric motor only, but the battery is charged by the engine (series hybrid) - for example. It can’t be plugged in, and ultimately relies on the petrol engine. The engine isn’t connected mechanically to the wheels though.

Interesting what Nissan are doing but it’s definitely not an EV, it’s not even a PHEV. It’s totally different in concept to the Rex in that all power has to come
    from petrol, where as petrol is used in the Rex only as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Interesting what Nissan are doing but it’s definitely not an EV, it’s not even a PHEV. It’s totally different in concept to the Rex in that all power has to come
    from petrol, where as petrol is used in the Rex only as a backup

Yes, but if the revenue definition of an EV is one that derives its motive power from an electric motor, then that’s what it is :)

Advertisement