Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to cut UK TV and film content after brexit?

• 22-06-2021 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭

According to various media outlets the EU is considering reducing UK film and TV content available to member states as it has a negative affect on European culture.
    I wondered what other posters think about this suggestion?
    https://www.italy24news.com/entertainment/news/26002.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

According to sources EU are applying third party status to media companies as per the brexit vote. This is democracy in action.

Media companies are of course free to go through the normal procedures to operate as per any third party country based media company.

But,

You knew all this. It doesn't make as impactful misinformed headline does it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

How are other non-EU TV & Film content treated? I would expect the UK content to be treated the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Seems about right, what's the big deal?

Non brexiters will be annoyed, Brexiters should be happy enough as it's a continuation of what they wanted.

Besides, all this is just more negotiation tactics. Everything is always on the table, that's why statements like 'the NHS will not be for sale' or 'there will be no chlorinated chicken' are absolutely horsesh!t as no one can make such promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Not sure why the UK would expect to be included in EU quotas for TV.
    Well I do know why (exceptionalism) but I don't know any reasonable reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

RobMc59 wrote: »
    According to various media outlets the EU is considering reducing UK film and TV content available to member states as it has a negative affect on European culture.

It has nothing to do with culture for starters. Or is this another one of those whinges about not the Brexit you wanted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Does this mean we won't get Emmerdale??

Oh NOOOOOOO!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It stands to reason that if there's a quota for locally produced programming, then UK productions will no longer be eligible because, yunno, the UK is no longer in the EU.

What do I think of the news? Barely suppressed yawn.

Probably bad news for the UK film and television industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Finally a brexit benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Will this affect Virgin Media 1 to 3 here?Would they have one stations worth of content without the British stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,850 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe the EU would fund a Glenroe resurrection?

There should be a few of them left still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭fash

Brexit means brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭KildareP

The UK has left the EU, why should it's content continue to be counted as European works? That it was in the EU up until recently was the only reason why it was allowed to such an extent in the first place.

But of course this will be spun, not as a consequence of Brexit, but as the EU being petty and vindictive. It's really becoming quite tiring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

KildareP wrote: »
    The UK has left the EU, why should it's content continue to be counted as European works? That it was in the EU up until recently was the only reason why it was allowed to such an extent in the first place.

But of course this will be spun, not as a consequence of Brexit, but as the EU being petty and vindictive. It's really becoming quite tiring at this stage.

Well, it does seem that up to now being in the EU hasn't been necessary to be counted as European in this TV/Film category. Merely being European has been enough. (I'm just basing that on the article in the OP and the corresponding Guardian article).
    Presumably no-one has batted an eyelid at say Swiss, Andorran or Liechtenstein product being included as European. And the volume of work they produce is probably quite small anyway.

It appears that it's only the UK leaving that has brought focus on the issue. Mainly because of the huge amount of such product they create.

So arguably this is an example of some EU countries being at worst 'petty and vindictive'. Or at best taking understandable advantage of a situation for their own gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭POBox19

Will this affect Virgin Media 1 to 3 here?Would they have one stations worth of content without the British stuff?
    Are they still here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭fash

Well, it does seem that up to now being in the EU hasn't been necessary to be counted as European in this TV/Film category. Merely being European has been enough. (I'm just basing that on the article in the OP and the corresponding Guardian article).
    Presumably no-one has batted an eyelid at say Swiss, Andorran or Liechtenstein product being included as European. And the volume of work they produce is probably quite small anyway.

It appears that it's only the UK leaving that has brought focus on the issue. Mainly because of the huge amount of such product they create.

So arguably this is an example of some EU countries being at worst 'petty and vindictive'. Or at best taking understandable advantage of a situation for their own gain.
    .... Or reflects the fact that:
    Switzerland (and Lichtenstein) have an agreement with the EU:
    OFCOM took part in the negotiations leading to the bilateral agreement allowing the participation of Switzerland in the EU "MEDIA" programme for the period 2007-2014. This program supports transfrontier collaboration in the cinema sector. The Swiss legislation on radio and television has been adapted to a number of provisions of the Audiovisual Media Services Directive.
    https://www.bakom.admin.ch/bakom/en/homepage/ofcom/international-activities/ofcoms-activities-in-international-organisations/eu.html

And Andorra - I imagine faces either similar problems to UK/don't produce anything or has some form of agreement.

I think these kind of rules apply to where the productions are made but not necessarily what they are about. Which might explain Apple doing Foundation in Limerick.

This could be good for Ireland although I expect a lot of times we might be a fake U.K.

It’s only related to streaming I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Unfortunately it is unlikely to make much of a different to terrestrial television. RTÉ will bulk out their quota with Euronews in the middle of the night as they already do. However, it could be good news for the Irish film industry, and for the Irish language film industry, if Netflix starts buying and commissioning more Irish content to make the 30% European content quota on their Irish platform, assuming, of course, that they don't just fill it up with Scandi-noir.

It’s only related to streaming I think.

The EU Audiovisual Media Services Directive applies to terrestrial channels too, but it is up to the member states to implement it. I can't find anything specifically saying that we have legislated for terrestrial channels yet. Anyhow, terrestrial channels are supposed to have a majority of EU content (> 50%) and streaming are supposed to have >30%.

No idea if it effects terrestrial channels based in the UK but also broadcast in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭KildareP

So arguably this is an example of some EU countries being at worst 'petty and vindictive'. Or at best taking advantage of a situation for their own gain.
    When the UK was in the European Union, the amount of non-EU/English language works coming in would have been quite small so there most likely would have been a relatively lax approach to the whole area of classification and quotas.

With the UK now out of the European Union, the amount of non-EU/English language works coming in will be significantly higher compared to before which appears to have been the trigger of said review.

If the UK can continue to claim they are European works, why shouldn't the US, or Brazil, or Canada be allowed to do so also? What makes the UK different to them?

Thus, if the EU wishes to protect itself against an influx of content from outside the EU, it has to clamp down on how it classifies content and how it manages quotas. Sure, it's going to hit the UK proportionally harder than other non-EU nations and yes, Brexit may well have been the tipping point to set in motion such a review.
    Vindictive and petty? Hardly. Good business sense, more like.
    Taking advantage of a situation for their own gain? Well that's pretty much the basis of any (good!) contract negotiation or trade process.

Frankly, I'm surprised the Brexiters aren't up in arms that sections of British society are trying to continue operating under the banner of the EU. Traitors!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

However will I cope without 7 hours of The Chase every day!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭black & white

TV 3 are f*cked then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They knew what they were voting for, Brexit means Brexit, etc.

Non-story IMO. That the EU should be supporting European industry and culture is a bit obvious and the UK has made its opinion known on the matter.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Id love if they could ban the premier league.

SF moaning about it would be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

“The legend of Dinny” , a Glenroe origins story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Theyd have to do a Bobby Ewing on Biddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Smee_Again wrote: »
    How are other non-EU TV & Film content treated? I would expect the UK content to be treated the same.

I was thinking many of us (here in the UK and as far as I am aware also in Ireland) have grown up watching US and occasionally Australian TV and films and nobody ever really suggested limiting or reducing it as it affects our culture.

I was thinking many of us (here in the UK and as far as I am aware also in Ireland) have grown up watching US and occasionally Australian TV and films and nobody ever really suggested limiting or reducing it as it affects our culture.

Culture in this case means protecting local film industries. For better or worse, UK content is popular across Europe, even to the detriment of the local content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Shouldn't it be down to the viewer to decide what nationality of content they want to watch be it UK, US, Latvian or whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shouldn't it be down to the viewer to decide what nationality of content they want to watch be it UK, US, Latvian or whatever?

That would then be any third country selling and operating foreign services in your customs jurisdiction unfettered.

So no. Not really. There's rules for many reasons don't try to dim it down.

Advertisement