Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA refuse to sanction illuminating Munich Stadium in rainbow colours

• 22-06-2021 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0622/1229644-uefa-block-rainbow-illumination-at-munich-stadium/
    "However UEFA, through its statutes, is a politically and religiously neutral organisation. Given the political context of this specific request - a message aiming at a decision taken by the Hungarian national parliament - UEFA must decline this request."

I think this is correct. I have always been of the view that politics and sport should be kept entirely separate regardless of the issue at hand.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I didn't realise equality is a political position.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭athlone99

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0622/1229644-uefa-block-rainbow-illumination-at-munich-stadium/

I think this is correct. I have always been of the view that politics and sport should be kept entirely separate regardless of the issue at hand.

What do you think?

There's more politics in sport than politics itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Uefa, a pillar of sports organisations. If I was the German FA I'd just do it anyway! It's an equality issue and a wider problem in parts of Eastern Europe and any rational individual would have no problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

What do you think?

the very nature of international football is political.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

athlone99 wrote: »

Most notably in 1936 with the Olympics in Nazi Germany
    Jesse Owens

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Keep politics out of sport they say as 2 teams representing political entities compete against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Jesse Owens

"He should keep his hand down and leave the politics to the politicians" - Boards user, 1936

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Allinall

What do you think?

Is that why they’ve banned players taking the knee before matches?

Oh wait……

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭randd1

Why don't the Germans just do it anyway? And it's not like your average Hungarian will care either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It is clearly a political move to illuminate the stadium in protest about laws passed by their opponents government. I wouldn't have an issue with it but to say it isn't a political statement is being disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

If that's their stance, why haven't they banned the players from taking the knee before games?

I think they should be seen to promote things like equality and standing up to regimes which restrict those rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's an equality issue

I don't think that is the actual issue.

The problem is that it would be a political statement targeting a member country that happens to be competing in the same tournament.

Of course that is not going to be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Seems fair enough to me. At least I can understand their reasoning.

Taking the knee is highlighting racial inequality in general, it's not done specifically to make a political statement against a certain team. It's done in all matches, not just when Hungary (for example) are in town.

Colouring Munich stadium exactly because Hungary are playing, seems much more like a targeted political statement to me than taking the knee in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Uefa, a pillar of sports organisations. If I was the German FA I'd just do it anyway! It's an equality issue and a wider problem in parts of Eastern Europe and any rational individual would have no problem with this.

There's nothing in the article in the OP to suggest that the German FA are behind this or want to do it - the request has come from the Mayor of Munich. I don't know if that title of Mayor indicates any power or whether it's similar to Hazel Chu in Dublin.
    But regardless it looks like a bit of a non-story really, local politician stirring it.
    Also on a technical point, the German FA couldn't just do this anyway, they have little or no rights of entry to the ground during the competition - it's a UEFA stadium even down to a change of name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jesse Owens

What head of state famously snubbed Jesse Owens after his Olympic medal wins?

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I didn't realise equality is a political position.

Sure it is. What else could it be.

For most of its communist era Hungary had no laws against homosexuality. It was made legal in 1961, at which time homosexual acts in Ireland were, of course, illegal and would be for three decades, and all 50 states in the US banned it. It was down to 14 states by 2003.

So was communist Hungary more "equal" than the US? I suppose so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sullovan

randd1 wrote: »
    Why don't the Germans just do it anyway? And it's not like your average Hungarian will care either way.

It’s a major tournament which means the Germans don’t have control of the stadium. UEFA have control of the production and broadcast of these events there will be no one from the German FA in a position to turn the lights on. Not that I think they want to anyway pretty sure it was just one local politician who mentioned it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I wonder if the Mayor of Munich will have a problem with Germany taking part in next years World Cup in Qatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

What head of state famously snubbed Jesse Owens after his Olympic medal wins?
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

someone watches QI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

Should we allow the disrespecting of the anthem by supporting a highly divisive organization while anthems are played? Sure, go ahead.
    Should we allow supporting of real discrimination by doing something that doesn't interfere with what happens on the pitch in any way? No, it's a political situation.

F off UEFA, bunch of crooks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

From world 2 allies to having a bitch fest over a flag football is a funny ould game

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Large corporate entity displays rainbow flag shocker

I'm enjoying the Euros, even though it's a farce without Ireland there obviously ;) But it's a corporate circus. Sporting spectacle.

The Germans are proposing to add to add some extra circus. The Hungarians will do their circus act too and point to the Respect badge.

For me the q is, How on earth can circus attendees (aka fans) legitimately complain about the addition of extra circus? If the butcher gave me 10% extra rashers for free I wouldn't be howling and whining about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s actually a hugely respectful gesture toward a minority, from UEFA they are upholding their principles. Keep it neutral guys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

athlone99 wrote: »

Yeah its bit rich of UEFA saying they want to keep politics out of sport when they will invite a gaggle of Prime Ministers and other politicians to watch the final from their corporate boxes

Sport and politics have always been intertwined. Of course it would be great if they werent but thats just an idealistic position that seeks to ignore the reality of the situation. Politicians have always used sport for their own ends and always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The German FA didn’t make the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should illuminate it when Turkey is playing next. For equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If you allow this type of stuff everyone will be illuminating something. Then you have to explain why Ukrainian jerseys were banned and this is allowed and so on. If UEFA want to have their own campaign fine but in individual countries. What happens when another member state like Hungary decides to celebrate some of their own nonsense in response to that. They are all members of Uefa.

Personally I'd favour UEFA actively calling out discrimination by states. They already say that they support human rights, I would say it's pretty important for them to stand by their own principles. Instead it's more turning a blind eye.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/social-responsibility/competitions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaktainPicard

Why do we have to have this pride sh1t rammed down our throats all the f*cking time ??? !!!
    We get it, gay rights, I even voted yes in 2015, but just f*ck off with wanting this stupid flag EVERYWHERE all the f*cking time!!!

Get over yourselves !!, no one cares what you do with your genitals - really

Mod: Banned

Advertisement