Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clarkson's Farm

• 20-06-2021 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭

Hi Farmers. Any of you watching this?

It's funny. Funny like Clarkson's journalistic writing, not Top Gear funny. He's willing to take the piss out of himself and his limited capabilities. The farm is massive and he's making a go of it.. albeit with the backing of his ample wallet and probably Amazon's ample wallet and a lot of help from professionals. It's a hoot from a non-farming perspective, I reckon you'd get a laugh out of some of the scenes.

His interaction with the professional community is good and he's not shy to hi-light the difficulties, hard work and pure joy of farming.

I'd suggest watching it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭HorseSea

Yea, watched it all.

Some is a bit cringey but overall enjoyable.

Without letting out any spoilers, it's an eye opener to see the profits made on a 1000 acre farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

HorseSea wrote: »
    Yea, watched it all.

Some is a bit cringey but overall enjoyable.

Without letting out any spoilers, it's an eye opener to see the profits made on a 1000 acre farm.

In the Cotswolds which from what I can gather is a fairly arable and suitable area for farming! His tractor alone must have cost a small farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Great show I thought. I believe he's done alot to highlight the realities of farming to the general population

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Grear PR for farming i think in all honesty.

Better living everyone

John_Rambo wrote: »
    In the Cotswolds which from what I can gather is a fairly arable and suitable area for farming! His tractor alone must have cost a small farm.

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Great show I thought. I believe he's done alot to highlight the realities of farming to the general population

Yeah, from the get-go he's horrified at the machinery and how dangerous it looks only to meet a guy missing most of his fingers! It's scary to think how things would work out if he hadn't that monster wedge of cash behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

His series has done leaps and bounds to show the good work that real farmers engage with on a daily basis. Hats off and fair play to him for undertaking this project and jumping into it full on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Yea it's a bit of entertainment if not much else .as you say op, between his own wallet & amazon's it will run on for a while anyhow,even if it's not making a profit through his carry on & lack of knowledge of what he's at.

Very few of his vintage type left nowadays on television,most have got sacked or other from something done or said 25 plus years ago.enjoy his humour anyway i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Yes thought it was great.

The Kaleb Cooper lad arriving to the farm with a Nissan GTR as his first car was a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭20silkcut

In fairness it’s a good show. Fair funny when the lad with the mullet is talking and clarkson hasn’t a clue what he’s saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

How does it compare with “The big week on the farm”?

How does it compare with “The big week on the farm”?

Chalk and cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Yes thought it was great.

The Kaleb Cooper lad arriving to the farm with a Nissan GTR as his first car was a surprise

Good show alright. Wasn’t a GTR though. 350Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

The farming community should be very grateful to clarkson. He is being a good Allie. He highlights a lot of the problems farming faces like bureaucracy, public opinion etc. He has been writing about the farming in the Sunday times for a year or two. Very much on the farmers side

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

Cattlepen wrote: »
    The farming community should be very grateful to clarkson. He is being a good Allie. He highlights a lot of the problems farming faces like bureaucracy, public opinion etc. He has been writing about the farming in the Sunday times for a year or two. Very much on the farmers side

Wouldn’t be too sure of that. He only acknowledged the climate change crisis when it would have prevented him continuing on Amazon prime. He shifts with the wind. All good if it blows in your direction.

Know nothing about farming and I think it is absolutely great. Really shows how tough it is to make a living (the loss making sheep being a great example.....he was clearly and genuinely taken aback by how little the lambs would net him). And he’s working proper hard even with Amazon money and his own wealth. And Kaleb is great.

I believe his farm shop is causing a few problems in the local community with the numbers of people visiting and their cars left everywhere. But, to be fair to him, he seems apologetic to the locals and is trying to find a solution.

I thought it would be a joke of a show, but to my layman’s eyes he appears to be trying and to genuinely care

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Again without spoilers the ‘profit’ he made was before any grants. Add the grants what would he have made roughly?

THe pre grant profit i assume is after he has paid for all his machinery, staff, building costs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Did Jeremy do "Who do you think you are?"

I don't think he did.
    I think his answer was when asked about the show was "All my ancestors are farmers" "No murderers or adventurers there".

He's a keen ornithologist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

godtabh wrote: »
    Again without spoilers the ‘profit’ he made was before any grants. Add the grants what would he have made roughly?

THe pre grant profit i assume is after he has paid for all his machinery, staff, building costs etc

Subsidies were mentioned in the show. Amounted to 82k if I recall correctly.

godtabh wrote: »

There was talk of £80,000 bps when filling forms, but in another part Cheerful Charlie mentioned a 5% penalty for soil damage that could be in the range of £10-15,000 so... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Did Jeremy do "Who do you think you are?"

I don't think he did.
    I think his answer was when asked about the show was "All my ancestors are farmers" "No murderers or adventurers there".

He's a keen ornithologist too.

Wasn't he the very first, or one of the first, to do it?

Because I remember the billboard advert for the first season of the show was "Who does Clarkson think he is?" No idea why I remember that, but I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭HorseSea

Yes, he did do "Who do you think you are?" around 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I loved the show, myself and the wife bought her grandparents farm a few years ago and while only 70 acres I believe that I have had the same enjoyment that Jeremy showed and can relate to the show all be it on much smaller scale. We are also fortunate to have other incomes through my full time job and other investments so the pressure is off with relying on it for a living and anything we make from the land is a bonus. Doing the maths I am about €50k in the red all in but that includes buying my modest machinery and we will start turning a profit before I retire from my full time job.

I do think they hid the real income from a 1000 acre farm, my guess would be about 100>125k additional all in with the grants, timber, lamb and farm shop. The rush to sell the arable could probably mean that you could potentially add another 10% say 10>20k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I suppose the real question to ask about this show is why are rich people buying land.Around us land is starting to be bought up by wealthy people and they are not worried about whether they get a return or not.alot are letting it rewind.whats thinking is behind this current fashion for buying land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

K.G. wrote: »
    I suppose the real question to ask about this show is why are rich people buying land.Around us land is starting to be bought up by wealthy people and they are not worried about whether they get a return or not.alot are letting it rewind.whats thinking is behind this current fashion for buying land

The western economy going through a devastating reset when people learn posting coffe to each other and buying clicks on insta while industry disappears to the Far East and actual stuff like metal foundries etc with printing make up money just delaying it while sending the hard cash away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Somethings didn’t make much sense, cultivating ahead of a strip til drill(since replaced). The ground wouldn’t be big yield country and the year it was filmed was the opposite to what was wanted for it.
    All the work with the lambing shed,grain store water network etc prob pushed it towards 500k to get the farm turning over.
    Charlie works for a company strut and parker(mutt and barker) since,Ceres rural though couldn’t say if still there but the bill could run up to 20k easily and he’d have a few similar customers. It’s a farm management assistant type company with a big purchasing group crop sales advisory.
    The machinery was mostly the previous guys and he did pay market rates or maybe a little more.

It is an entertainment TV program, not a fly on the wall documentary, that will explain things that don't make sense.

Regarding rich people buying land? That's been done since the start of land ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ruwithme

K.G. wrote: »

A safe investment & not the reserve of the rest of us who might like to be known as farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Must watch it was recommended by a friend. There is a shortage of good farming programmes, think this farming life on BBC2 is very good. TV3 did a brilliant programme years ago called Farmers A year on the land, each episode covered a different farming sector shame they never made another series, there was no comparision to it and that muck ear to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

k mac wrote: »
    Must watch it was recommended by a friend. There is a shortage of good farming programmes, think this farming life on BBC2 is very good. TV3 did a brilliant programme years ago called Farmers A year on the land, each episode covered a different farming sector shame they never made another series, there was no comparision to it and that muck ear to the ground

Ear to the ground looks like a joint production between the department of the environment and the department of enterprise which was dreamed up during the programme for government to keep everyone happy except its been like that for years.

Despite it ostensibly being a programme based on agriculture there would be a disclaimer attached to say the department of agriculture had no input into the content.

Advertisement