Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry footballers smash someone's head in. €400 fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Ah sure they're great at the auld GAA. More was said about that than anything else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Send them to prison for two months and ban them from the city centre for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

They are to be convicted, according to the judge.

Pair of **** who think they are important will carry an assault conviction now.

I'm not sure what the victim's injuries entailed.....possibly black eyes and swelling and hopefully nothing worse than that.

Let the two pricks now have a record. I don't mind that they aren't going to the big house. Their whimpering regret and attempts to weasel out of it with 5k is enough to show them up as turds.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

2 20 something athletes beating the shoite out of a middle aged man for fun. They barely got punished, only a fine and they only barely got a conviction recorded, almost dodged that except the judge actually bothered his hole 5o watch the CCTV.

No other country are serious unprovoked assaults not met with jail time and then monitored probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Beyond a joke. Hand them a ****ing jail sentence ffs.

This is an absolute farce that gaa can get you out of these corners. I'm saying that as a lifetime member and player. Another high profile Dublin player got away for similar.

The victims own kids were afraid of him he was left so badly injured. The trauma goes beyond the victim.

****ing judges in this country can be absolute pricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good they got a conviction, no trips to US or Australia to cause additional havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is an absolute farce that gaa can get you out of these corners. I'm saying that as a lifetime member and player.

To be fair, the courts are known for lenient sentences, and it’s easier to get into Dental Science in Trinity than it is to get a jail sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They are to be convicted, according to the judge.

Pair of **** who think they are important will carry an assault conviction now.

I'm not sure what the victim's injuries entailed.....possibly black eyes and swelling and hopefully nothing worse than that.

Let the two pricks now have a record. I don't mind that they aren't going to the big house. Their whimpering regret and attempts to weasel out of it with 5k is enough to show them up as turds.

The victim was 100% innocent and literally walking by these two Kerry scumbags and his head was smashed to a state that he was not recognisable.

The leniency is a fukken joke. And the excuse that it was the drink that did it, so we should not be blamed was laughable.

No wonder groups of scum like this maraud around towns unafraid of any consequences when a few quid of a fine is all they will get.

You'd get a higher fine for going to court doing 140km on a clear motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If the punishment for a crime is a fine, then the rich are effectively above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

This is an absolute farce that gaa can get you out of these corners. I'm saying that as a lifetime member and player. Another high profile Dublin player got away for similar.

To be fair the defence tried to play the footballers card "they are role models" which the judge rejected outright. He also rejected the probation act and ensured the left the court with a criminal conviction. I agree a tougher sentence would have been better but I don't think being "gaa stars" or whatever that article was trying to say got them leniency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭bigroad

They are role models for younger people.
    Yea they sure are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A criminal record is no consequence to someone in that position - hel be well looked after by the locals.

Probably command a bigger fee for an appearance.

And if was some other drug than alcohol, people world be crying for it to be banned.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wes wrote: »
    If the punishment for a crime is a fine, then the rich are effectively above the law.

The rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Let me guess the parish priest give a glowing great family character reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No wonder people don't give a flying rats a#s about others... Zero consequences

lawred2 wrote: »
    The rich?

It's not a fine, it's a business expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Would he be able to take a civil case against them now? Make them hurt that way.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Would he be able to take a civil case against them now? Make them hurt that way.

Yep. Though they probably don't have a lot of money or assets in their own names yet.

No, they've already have over 5k. Civil cases won't do anything else.

I think the defense can appeal the leniency of the sentence though. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I think the defense can appeal the leniency of the sentence though. Could be wrong.

He could be awarded a lot more but enforcing it would be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

The victims own kids were afraid of him he was left so badly injured. The trauma goes beyond the victim.

****ing judges in this country can be absolute pricks.

The gaa didn't get them out of any corners. Nor did it in that Dublin case.
    This is an issue with the courts, nothing to do with the gaa.

There's sentences like this handed out regularly where there's no mention of extra curricular activities of the defendant s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

2 20 something athletes beating the shoite out of a middle aged man for fun. They barely got punished, only a fine and they only barely got a conviction recorded, almost dodged that except the judge actually bothered his hole 5o watch the CCTV.

No other country are serious unprovoked assaults not met with jail time and then monitored probation.

There's plenty of 40 year old men who, knowing how to box or street fight, would have kicked their scrawny scrote arses up inside their heads.

I know I could, and I'm a few years older again.

Very poor justice for Mr McCarthy and very good luck for them that they didn't happen upon 2 middle aged men with previous training. But they will, God willing.
    All lads like those, and most GAA footballers, are good for is handbags. Athletes. But soft boys. Why else would they attack innocent men twice their age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

I got the same fine for about 2 euro worth of Hash.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Season 2 wrote: »
    I hate that because they are semi decent GAA players that this acts in their favour. I don’t give a damn about GAA but I do care about two little runts beating the hell out of an innocent person.

Our courts do seem to be very lenient on violent assaults unfortunately. That needs to change.

Kerry courts tend not to convict Kerrymen.

Banjo country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

One could do a nice bit of 'lobbying' with 5k..especially down that part of the country. Best spent on his own family though.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Bambi wrote: »
    Kerry courts tend not to convict Kerrymen.

Banjo country.

They did get convicted though. Do you have any evidence to back up that generalisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

ArtyM wrote: »
    Patrick Viera is such a calm, relaxed, speaker.
    He is so laid back.
    Its weird, given what a menacing force he was when on the pitch.

Big difference, plenty of professional athletes can be scary during the course of their sport, but gentleman off the pitch...

Johny Hendricks off UFC and bare Knuckle boxing fame, is proper scary but his so well spoken and up standing member of society...

I find their is a sence of entitlement that GAA and Rugby players have in this country that is scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Big difference, plenty of professional athletes can be scary during the course of their sport, but gentleman off the pitch...

Johny Hendricks off UFC and bare Knuckle boxing fame, is proper scary but his so well spoken and up standing member of society...

I find their is a sence of entitlement that GAA and Rugby players have in this country that is scary

I posted in the wrong thread, meant to post in the Euro 2020 thread.
    Your point is a good one though, there are those who can switch it on\off when they enter\leave the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Of course, we can be sure that the Kerry board and their club will no longer consider these thugs for selection on any team in the future.
    As an example to the younger players, of course.

(and yes, i see the flying boar)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The gaa didn't get them out of any corners. Nor did it in that Dublin case.
    This is an issue with the courts, nothing to do with the gaa.

There's sentences like this handed out regularly where there's no mention of extra curricular activities of the defendant s

The inability of judges to see beyond the affiliation does.

Advertisement