Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 7 : French GP (Paul Ricard)

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

petes wrote: »
    Did you watch the same race as the rest of us?

I did yes. Boring track and a mostly boring race. Maybe it would have been better live but some of us do not have that or the time either to be watching all the races live. Yes if Max and Lewis had if been constantly fighting at the front that would have been great but they were not. Max got caught out at the beginning by the wind and Lewsis got by easy enough after that it came down to strategy and thankfully Red Bull and Max picked the right one but even then Max got by Lewis easy enough as soon as he caught up. You would hardly call it exciting. Even the midfield was a bit boring at it. It's just a terrible dull track do and that does not help. I am looking forward to Austria at the weekend. That will be much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Admittedly I only watched the highlights but I suspect Max held on to a bit of tyre until the end too, he seemed to be 5 seconds or so behind for an age then pedaled on.

What was the investigation between Bottas and Perez for? It didn't say on the highlights nor did they mention an outcome

Haven't looked at the lap times, but I got the impression that Lewis might have lost pace at that time too - not just Max flooring it. Lewis was sliding around the last corner on to the pit straight on the last lap too. His tyres were cooked.

On the Perez / Bottas thing: I don't know what exactly it was for, but likely something to do with track limits. Pretty sure it was cleared at the end of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lurching wrote: »

On the Perez / Bottas thing: I don't know what exactly it was for, but likely something to do with track limits. Pretty sure it was cleared at the end of the race.

He went around the outside and then went slightly wide off the track to make the turn. It would have been a rigid and harsh application of the rules to penalise that.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.2021-french-grand-prix-perez-snatches-podium-place-from-bottas.1703100183167749687.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Lurching wrote: »
    Haven't looked at the lap times, but I got the impression that Lewis might have lost pace at that time too - not just Max flooring it. Lewis was sliding around the last corner on to the pit straight on the last lap too. His tyres were cooked.

There was a point where Max was approx 5 seconds behind with the gap looking like it was starting to stabilise, but then Lewis made a big mistake and ran off track, and the gap closed to 3.5 seconds in pretty much a single sector. From that point Max really reeled him in, it's likely that Lewis picked up some dirt or flat spotted his tyres when he went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

AMKC wrote: »
    I did yes. Boring track and a mostly boring race. Maybe it would have been better live but some of us do not have that or the time either to be watching all the races live. Yes if Max and Lewis had if been constantly fighting at the front that would have been great but they were not. Max got caught out at the beginning by the wind and Lewsis got by easy enough after that it came down to strategy and thankfully Red Bull and Max picked the right one but even then Max got by Lewis easy enough as soon as he caught up. You would hardly call it exciting. Even the midfield was a bit boring at it. It's just a terrible dull track do and that does not help. I am looking forward to Austria at the weekend. That will be much better.

I found it absolutely gripping and exciting particularly when Max took his second stop. Lap by lap looking at the lead and calculating if he would catch Hamilton. What kind of fight would Bottas put up, what about the back markers, could he pass Hamilton. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

Was actually my favourite race of the season so far. No crashes, no safety cars, just pure racing from the 2 top teams going at it with all of their cars in the mix. Once Max overtook Hamilton coming out of the pit lane it was utterly enthralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Number of on Track Over takes this season per race listed below . I normally dislike Paul Ricard but it proved me wrong this year.

Bahrain - 75,
    Imola - 41
    Portugal - 43,
    Spain - 51,
    Monaco - 0
    Azerbaijan - 27
    France - 60

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I legit thought you were joking with your previous comments. It was a tense and gripping race, I was on the edge of my sofa for the whole thing.

If this was boring, I really want to know what you find exciting. Great overtaking and close battles throughout. Perez getting the move on Bottas as well and Max getting the lead back on the second to last lap after making up all that time.

Baffling to call it boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Joeface wrote: »
    Number of on Track Over takes this season per race listed below . I normally dislike Paul Ricard but it proved me wrong this year.

Bahrain - 75,
    Imola - 41
    Portugal - 43,
    Spain - 51,
    Monaco - 0
    Azerbaijan - 27
    France - 60

I think it was a perfect example of DRS done right. Enough of an effect to counteract the difficulty of following another car, while not be so effective as to let them simply drive past on the straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I think it was a perfect example of DRS done right. Enough of an effect to counteract the difficulty of following another car, while not be so effective as to let them simply drive past on the straight.

That’s one thing I really hate about DRS! One small rule change id like to see is no overtaking with the flap open! It gets cars alongside eachother and we can watch a battle at the corner! Which was its original intention anyway

• Advertisement

That’s one thing I really hate about DRS! One small rule change id like to see is no overtaking with the flap open! It gets cars alongside eachother and we can watch a battle at the corner! Which was its original intention anyway

Hmm, not the worst shout.
    I'd be in favour of having the DRS zone not publicly released until after qualifying. Or, basically the opposite, have it movable until the race. All this time in there's still races where it's clear beforehand it'll be waayyyy too powerful.
    At the same time I think some of the power of DRS has been reduced in certain places. It's far harder for cars to follow than a few years ago so on the occasions that a car is so much grippier that it can follow at the preceding corner it can make it look too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Hmm, not the worst shout.
    I'd be in favour of having the DRS zone not publicly released until after qualifying. Or, basically the opposite, have it movable until the race. All this time in there's still races where it's clear beforehand it'll be waayyyy too powerful.
    At the same time I think some of the power of DRS has been reduced in certain places. It's far harder for cars to follow than a few years ago so on the occasions that a car is so much grippier that it can follow at the preceding corner it can make it look too easy.

The improved aero package in next years designs will cut down on the amount of dirty air and hopefully they will reduce the drs as a result, and hopefully improve races at tracks like catalunya as a result.
    I don't see any reason why shutting down the drs as the overtaking car passes would have an effect as the overtaking car is already travelling about 15kph faster at that stage, it would also confuse things if you had more than two cars in the mix.

Advertisement