Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roof style question

Options
  • 21-06-2021 10:11am

Heres a picture of my attic/roof.
    What style construction is it ?
    1970s built bungalow.

Sorry for the crappy image.

IMG-20210322-182447.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what do you mean by style, its looks like a normal cut roof.
    However without seeing the end connection details cant be 100% that its not trussed roof or a combination,
    google cut roof

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

what do you mean by style, its looks like a normal cut roof.

Thanks,
    Cut roof is what I was looking for .
    Those horizonal ties dont seem to be common (from a google image search).
    Its those that I'm wondering about. they are all basically tacked to the sides of the rafters with 1/2 nails.

Considering a conversion in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thanks,
    Its those that I'm wondering about. they are all basically tacked to the sides of the rafters with 1/2 nails.

They're collar ties. They help prevent the rafters from spreading out by providing triangulation. Normally that would be done by the ceiling joists, but because your ceiling joists are below the rafters (from what I can tell from your photo but it's not entirely clear), the collar ties provide the triangulation instead.

If doing an attic conversion and removing the collar ties, this would have to be taken into consideration and triangulation provided by other means, which is definitely possible, but should be designed and specified by a professional.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks,

You can basically ignore them as your engineer will be designing the structure anyway. So don’t worry about them now for a conversion in 2 years.

They will have to be removed but the transfer of loading will be sorted by the engineering design.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You can basically ignore them as your engineer will be designing the structure anyway. So don’t worry about them now for a conversion in 2 years.

They will have to be removed but the transfer of loading will be sorted by the engineering design.

Thanks for the input, very informative :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for the input, very informative :rolleyes:

No problem :rolleyes:

Advertisement