Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's just a bunch of feet playing with my mind

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Ooh thanks for the podcasts. I'll have a listen for sure. Actually I used that stretching app yesterday and the person doing it described a manoeuvre, which I couldn't manipulate myself in to. And he said something like, do it if you can but if you can't today that's grand don't beat your body up it does a lot of great things in a day. Or something along those lines and I thought, that's exactly what I could do with telling myself a little more often!

Changing the way of seeing food is a mega deal. Its kind of breaking the cycle of the convincing 'You deserve/have earned/will be better if you eat it' schpeel you tell yourself. I can't complain about the food I'm eating now. Its simple but delicious. If I wasn't running I don't think I'd be noticing the impact the change is having. In fact, without running I would have accepted my lot and not tried to make any changes at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG wrote: »
    And sadly, many instagrammers are constantly portraying this idea that you need to punish yourself with exercise after food, or that you need to 'earn' meals. Not helpful for any of us to keep seeing this online (I do tend to unfollow but impossible to avoid 100%)

The opposite, that food is a reward or has to be earned somehow, is plastered all over social media too. Food should not be a reward or denied as punishment or given to heal a sore knee either for that matter! This drove me a bit batty when my kiddies were little - they'd fall over, as toddlers & small kids do often, and Granny would be straight out with the biscuit tin. They're barely 2 they're learning to deal with upset/hurt by eating :rolleyes: Though poor Granny always meant well and of course it's a Granny's job to spoil the grandkids but just not in place of a plaster or a hug please.

12th April - 30th April

Finished off the 5 days easy. Moved on to throwing a few strides into Wednesdays run. They felt so lovely not panicked or rushed they were calm and a bit fun :eek:

Did the Boards Anniversary 5k TT x 2 :D

Woke up on Monday - tank was empty. Took a day off. Tuesday - tank was empty-ish went for a light jog the opposite way round (route wise not me :D). I knew I had no ability to be running up Morton's Mountain so ran down it instead :o. Woke up in the early hours of Wednesday morning with a horrendous migraine and unable to get back to sleep. Tried a run that day had the post migraine 'brain fog' with zero energy and for the first time since last Oct cut the run short. I was so worried I'd pushed myself back by doing the two TTs back to back and knocked the heart rate out of whack which was going to take going back to 20 minute runs to fix. Mores the point, I had signed up to the Great Limerick 5k a couple of months ago and it was this weekend! I couldn't get another 5k out of myself!!

Early to bed and clean eating all week - no running till Fri and sure maybe things might be better.

Great Limerick Virtual 5k

I know virtual events arent ideal, but I signed up for it as a practice. I was always going to treat it like a race day and try and get to grips with the nerves. At the same time I wanted to do it on the Friday and not have it hanging over me over the Bank Holiday weekend!

Followed the same routine that worked for the TTs - breakkie - coffee - dropped the kids to school and drove into the Phoenix Park. No messing here, if you're going to treat it like a race day then we're going all out and going to face your dreaded nemesis - the Furry Glen Hill!

Mile 1 - warmed up a teeney bit - all very serious :D and got going. Did the same as last week, without looking at the watch I settled into a pace that was motoring but nothing too mad then gave the watch a quick glance - 10.45. Decided to try and hold it, the engine might fail, it may not, no point worrying yet. There were a few people about to dodge but this was all in the crack! 10:52 - not ideal, but better than the TT so you never know what might happen!

Mile 2 - was heading down into the bowels of the Park and was still feeling ok, but was constantly worried that the engine was going to fail at some stage. I was breathing heavier than I would have liked and that made me worry I wasn't going to last. For the first time I managed to banish the doubts and worries and just went with it. Its all downhill here, try get some benefit from it. If I wane, I wane, but I'm not waning yet. 10:35.

Mile 3 - suddenly there it was! Furry Glen Hill, this is where it was all going to fall apart. I kept repeating 'Its no worse than OBM, no worse than OBM'. And I got up it in one surviving piece!!!! I've never actually tackled it before!! Got round the corner and across the road - I was doing this!!! I'd less than a mile to go!! What do I do now?
    Do I try push? Is it too early? Jaysus I'm not sure! I wasnt expecting this! :pac: I suppose that was the handy thing about doing the TT on a route that I knew every lump and bump of vs doing it somewhere unfamiliar. I moved out of someone's way onto the grass and my legs just felt like lead so I decided not to push yet and I lost my 10 seconds here. I should have pushed on, but didn't have the courage to. I turned onto the last stretch and picked it up and I knew it would be over somewhere passed the bollards, but the not knowing of where it would end was hard. I counted in my head, I relaxed my hands, I blocked out everything my brain was saying and went as hard as I could until the beep.

Finished up at 32:51 which is 10 seconds slower than last week, but I'm happy enough. I gave it a good shot on a route that fills me with fear and I think with a bit of practice I could get a bit more confidence to push sooner.
    Considering how the week went and that the whole thing was in doubt I'm happy to have done it and given it a decent go. I've started to dream again! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on facing your fear of that route & completing it:)

I believe you should always have a dream, helps push you to achieve it, never stop dreaming :D

Well done on facing your fear of that route & completing it:)

I believe you should always have a dream, helps push you to achieve it, never stop dreaming :D

Dream big, work hard... :D

Congratulations on topping the challenge table!

• Advertisement

1st May – 26th May

It’s been 5 day weeks generally going like this:-

Easy Runs

Easy runs are all around 3 miles and have an average pace of 11:30p/m or so. There is no need for it to be at that pace at all and I’m constantly trying to reel it back but it’s nowhere near the 12:30 it used to be! I get into such a lovely smooth rhythm and completely switch off mind you. But I know I need to be more careful. Monday, Thurs (or Fri depending on other stuff), Sat and Sun have been all easy runs, strides on a Wednesday up until now. Sun now has hills.

Strides

30 seconds long with 60 seconds jog recovery. I looked up how to do strides and thought I’d read it properly. Start with 4 and add on two each week. Counted the week of the 5k TTs as 6. Went a bit askew a couple of weeks with the counting. Went back and read the article again on Sunday and realized I wasn’t supposed to add on each week, I was supposed to add on after 3-4 weeks. Given I’m 4 weeks into it decided to do 6 which is a nice comfortable number. I also lashed them out in week 3, so brought them back to a more comfortable pace today.

I’ll attempt a fancy table for this :D

Date|Stride 1|Stride 2|Stride 3|Stride 4|Stride 5|Stride 6|Stride 7|Stride 8|Stride 9|Stride 10
    21/4/21|10:20p/m|10:29p/m|11:09p/m|11:01p/m
    28/4/21|3 5k TTs|Counted as 6
    5/5/21|9:45p/m|10:10 p/m|9:48p/m|8:54p/m|9.23p/m|10:21p/m|9:44p/m
    12/5/21|10:23p/m|9:54p/m|9:15p/m|9:48p/m|9:11p/m|9:06p/m|8:28p/m|8:44p/m|9:21p/m
    19/5/21|9:00p/m|8:37p/m|8:28p/m|8:37p/m|8:05p/m|8:48p/m|8:08p/m|8:09p/m|8:40p/m|8:21p/m
    26/5/21|9:54p/m|9:14p/m|8:50p/m|8:46p/m|9:24p/m|8:37p/m

Hills

Sunday was Week 1 of hills. Googled again and found an article which said to find a hill of approx. 200m length with a 4-10% gradient. Started with 3 as per instructions and my god did they zap the living out of my legs! Followed the advice of maintaining the same effort all the way up – no sprinting off and burning out before the top. Held myself upright so I could feel my core working and walked back down to the bottom each time. Did a 1 mile warm up before and a 1 mile cool down after.

Hill 1|9:53
    Hill 2|9:49
    Hill 3|9:27

The runs are a bit measly length wise but it’s all going so well at the moment that I’m reluctant to lengthen them unless it feels right and until the end of the 4 weeks of hills.

Notwithstanding that I think I’m actually heading places. I’m getting a few little achievements on Strava which is lovely. Most of my course records were set in 2015 when I was young and skinny and following an ecoli plan. I didn’t think I’d ever be near them again. It’s all got me thinking about what I might be able to do if I follow a plan. Can I start dreaming of 29:xx for a 5k and 59:xx for a 10k? It would be an absolute dream come true :o . I thought of signing up for the KBC virtual 10k, but it’s way too soon. I think I’m better off being patient, focus on getting things right over the next 4 weeks and see where I’m at then. Also, if I’m going to do it, I don’t want to do it as part of a lonely TT – I actually want to do it with a clock and a gantry and if there’s a fan fare sure who would I be to say no to that :D

Operation Collar Bone is going well weight continues to reduce - BP is still a pain in the hoop – Thyroid is now underactive which has me permanently set on freeze and so tired but the heart rate is gloriously low! There are days like today, where the temptation to sit one out is mega, but the only thing getting me out the door is that every step gets me (hopefully) closer to the dream!

26th May - 20th June

The great thing about looking back is realising when you’re letting things slip. I see the last four weeks has comprised of 2 weeks of 4 runs and 2 weeks of 3 runs. I can’t even remember the how’s or the whys. I know it’s been pretty chaotic in our house with getting work done and at the beginning of this week I was feeling rough – so much so walking the dog had me breathless and to be fair it does take a lot these days for me to miss an entire run – but if I can’t remember the hows or the whys the reason for missing the rest clearly wasn’t good enough! That said, every week no matter what I miss I generally don’t skip the strides or the hills, bar one.

Last week my sons GAA club had a fundraiser run - 4 laps of the pitch with a few minutes rest in between each lap. I ran higher than my comfort zone for sure but I know I could have done better. The thing was I was running with a friend and although I really felt I could have pushed the last stretch a of each lap a bit harder, it felt a bit rude to do so :o. Although, I’m not sure what condition I would have been in if I hadn’t been sensible. I would have looked a right t*t if I’d gone flat out, left my friend behind and had to walk the last lap! :pac: Anyhow my legs were sore the next day so postponed the final hills week.

Strides (not all on the same route) :-
    Week| Stride 1|Stride 2 |Stride 3 |Stride 4|Stride 5 |Stride 6
    1|9.54 |9.14|8.50|8.46|9.24 |8.32
    2|8.49 |8.45|7.58|9.33|8.08 |8.31
    3|9.13 |8.53|8.46|8.34|9.21|9.23
    4|9.54 |9.14|8.50|8.46|9.24 |8.32

Hills (not all on the same hill) :-
    Week|Hill 1|Hill 2 |Hill 3 |Hill 4|Hill 5 |Hill 6|Hill 7|Hill 8|Hill 9
    1|9.21|8.46|8.59|8.41|8.59|-|-|-|-
    2|9.33|9.15|9.33|9.12|10.15|10.15|9.51|-|-
    3|9.20|8.35|9.18|9.33|9.43|9.18|9.41|9.43|9.47

I don’t think the above are of any great insight. Anyone can lash out something for 30 seconds/a hill. But I do feel a kind of competency developing with each week.

This weeks hill was hard and I was always going to use it for the last of the 4 week stint. I couldn't have dreamed of using it for anything other than walking up 4 weeks ago so to be doing 9 Hill repeats on it today was a nice achievement.

What I want to try this week is find out how long I can run at a 10:00p/m pace for. That’s the goal at the end of the day. So rather than strides this Wed, I’m going to run at that pace and hold it for as long as I can and see what that feels like. It’s all well and good doing a 30 sec stride at 9:xx minutes, but sure what good is that if I can’t hold it and all the while I’m knocking them out I could be learning what the goal pace feels like. 30 seconds is too short a time to figure it out, so rather than increasing the number of strides, the plan is to run 6 longer stints at a 5k pace. If that makes sense :D. Hopefully it works!

Non running bit
    2 years ago, I left a job that broke me. At the time what I should have done was go to my GP (who now tells me he could have helped me), but I couldn’t talk about it. Which is a common problem for me. I can post things on boards but when it comes down to voicing an issue I just can’t do it. Anyhow I left and my main focus was not to break any more than I already had. Jogging slowly after the school run helped me focus and find a hook that helped with it. I stopped from sinking any further but never managed to get back up for air. When I did the Boards 5k TT last year, there were times where I wanted to stop and walk but I kept pushing on and all of a sudden a little seed was planted that as the cliché goes I'm down but not out just yet. There is a fight left in me. From there I followed plans, got back on my feet, got a little ill, got back on my feet and before I knew it, I was back up breathing free without even realising when it happened. With each plan and each week of ticking every box I was supposed to, I started to get back to myself.

A few months ago a job came up and I went for it. It was the dream job, something I’ve always wanted. I threw in an application, not believing I’d get any where. As it turned out after a long application process, I am top of the list of applicants, got offered the job and I start in September.

To say I’m over the moon is an understatement. To say I owe where I am today to running is no exaggeration. Every step I’ve put into it has given me so much more back in bucket loads and I can’t believe I am where I am today, considering where I was 2 years ago. If I can keep working and get a decent time (for me!) the next time a race comes up, or even just stand on a start line with a smidge of confidence and not sheer dread :pac: that would just bookend this era nicely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Congratulations on the new job L, your log is a real bundle of joy an inspiration. It’s clear that you love your running and it loves you, keep it going!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new job L, your log is a real bundle of joy an inspiration. It’s clear that you love your running and it loves you, keep it going!!

For the gazzilionth time thanks so much for organising that TT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congratulations!!! That's great news :) best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on landing your dream job! Sounds like it was meant to be - you’re in the right headspace going in n’ all :)
    Agree with B above, I love this log and the honesty within it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw big huge congratulations on the dream job, I wish you all the happiness & success in it :)
    I agree with everyone else here, love reading your log!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on landing your dream job! Thats really something :)

Thanks guys... Let's hope the reality lives up to the dream :pac:

I actually have a question... I'm part of a local G4M&O team but I haven't been back since Jan (well since Covid really) because I wasn't sure how to factor it in.

However matches are starting back and I'd really like get back to it all. So how do I factor it in? It sounds a bit obvious as I'm typing, but do I just sneak it in and see how it goes without changing anything running wise? It's just one training session and one match a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks guys... Let's hope the reality lives up to the dream :pac:

I actually have a question... I'm part of a local G4M&O team but I haven't been back since Jan (well since Covid really) because I wasn't sure how to factor it in.

However matches are starting back and I'd really like get back to it all. So how do I factor it in? It sounds a bit obvious as I'm typing, but do I just sneak it in and see how it goes without changing anything running wise? It's just one training session and one match a week.

I was briefly in one of those teams, the training sessions took way more out of me than any run, including longer stuff!!! I ended up injured with all the twisting and turning but having said that, I really enjoyed it for the year I was there. Go for it, have fun but maybe just ease off on the running for the first couple of weeks until you get used to being back doing something completely different. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Many congrats on the job. Some very interesting points in your post about it, and the value of running - our hobby/lifestyle, all of us - in helping us through the ups and downs. It certainly resonates with me. Best of luck with it all.

I was briefly in one of those teams, the training sessions took way more out of me than any run, including longer stuff!!! I ended up injured with all the twisting and turning but having said that, I really enjoyed it for the year I was there. Go for it, have fun but maybe just ease off on the running for the first couple of weeks until you get used to being back doing something completely different. Enjoy!

Well this is why I was reluctant to go back because I couldn't walk for 2 days after the training sessions :pac: I know I need more squats in my life, but I flaming hate them :pac: But they all assure me it's changed now and it's all drills and nothing like it used to be. And I like the matches :o.

Thanks Murph... Hope all is OK for you.

July and August

Well these months didn't exactly go to plan. The 5 runs a week were few and far between. I don't think there was a week that I did absolutely nothing, but like that's grasping at straws for positivity! It's hard during the summer! And I also have a sense of guilt that my time off is coming to an end so I'm trying to absorb the boys as much as I can (my kids I mean!).

That said the eldest's soccer and gaa matches are now moving further a field from local teams to all over the County so Ive enjoyed some lovely runs in some really nice spots from Malahide to Mount Merrion. I would run in a Burka if I could and up until now would never even run in a sleeveless top, nevermind shorts. But I ditched the 3/4 lengths and t shirts and ran around happy as a pig in poop in me shorts and me vest tops.

Easy runs

I think I mentioned before that my easy runs were 12:30 or thereabouts and were now 11:20 or thereabouts. I don't really take much notice while I'm out and the only reason I pay any attention is because of my tendency to push them too hard. Its really hard keeping them in check, but I get so stiff if I don't so I really need to do better with these. Sometimes I'll be running along and think... Ooh this feels a little hot and I look at the watch and its 10:30!! I know it's no measure but last year that kind of pace was me pushing myself to the limit so it has the confidence sneaking in a bit.

Strides and Hills

Although it's been a while 😬 the last couple of strides I was finding a bit difficult. It could have been the heat, but I think it's more I'm warming up too fast, so then the knock on effect is that the first few strides are way too fast. I was eternally aiming for 2 mins at 10:20 x 6, but the first one or two were 9.xx. While they feel frickin amazing and I think... Hell yeah I can manage this... By the last 2 I'm dying and praying for the sweet lord to take me. So getting them under control is very much my aim. I've also learned recently that you shouldn't be hanging together by the end (which I am) so I'm going to keep it to 4 attempts and work from there.

The hills I love (thought it's been a while with these too) . Oh my goodness they have brought immense improvements. They have improved my posture, my ability to relax, my legs, I'm pretty sure my tummy too. I just love them. Not going to lie the thoughts of doing them on the day don't fill me with too much joy, but I know I'm going to feel like a machine by the time I'm done, so that keeps them going.

So because running has been a bit all over the camp the last couple of weeks I tried to get a routine in place this week and just got out for a few short easy runs. And now I can't wait to get stuck in next week m

Tl:DR I've been taking the mick but am back on track now 🤞

In other news... The BP that wouldn't settle and that was the whole reason for starting the log in the first place. Well it turns out the reason it wasn't settling was down to the brand of tablet. Not kidding. A month ago while renewing the prescription the pharmacist gave me a different brand of the same tablet because they ran out of the usual one. The BP has been dropping ever since. After almost a year!!!! Got my bloods done the other day and the GP took it and nearly fell off his chair!! 😂 I've a feeling the thyroid is acting up a bit, but we'll see if I get a call 🤞

I'm dying for the park runs to start back... Well I am and I amn't. I really want to test where I'm at, but at the same time I want to get some control over the paces before I do. Then again, I'm probably way over thinking it. I'll see what the bloods come back as and if we're all good, I may try a TT and test what I've learned!

Advertisement