Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hungary passes new homophobic laws

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Das Reich wrote: »
    Those people are so racist against Eastern Europe. Not the first time here I saw some users talking bad about it.

Do you think it's unfair that some people stereotype some nationalities as intolerant now because of the actions of some in government there? True I can imagine it feels unfair to those people who oppose the laws. But it's interesting to see your empathetic considerate side come out only now in support of eastern Europeans. You don't also find it unfair to see posters on here supporting punishment and alienation of all LGBT people allegedly due to some irrelevant comments made by a specific select few members of the lgbt community?
    Wow, seems majorly hypocritical !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mic 1972 do not post in this thread again. You have continued to troll the thread despite the cards issued

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Hungary is aware of how far things have gone in other countries, they are drawing a line to prevent things from getting out of hand.

You are mixing a lot of things together here. The Hungarian government has been doing more and more to curtail the rights of many people. The government are self serving and rule by fear. This is one of their many tactics.

Making generalizations about the Eastern culture is a form of racism, it doesn't matter whether you are or aren't going to get banned for saying it.

Plenty of Polish and eastern people are proud of their culture and feel strong about it.

It does matter, because what I said about eastern cultures didn't cross a line, what you said about lgbt people did, hence your ban. Good riddance

Also the fact you just generalised eastern european people at the end of your comment after saying it's racist to do so , **** me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

km991148 wrote: »
    You are mixing a lot of things together here. The Hungarian government has been doing more and more to curtail the rights of many people. The government are self serving and rule by fear. This is one of their many tactics.

Ole Vic has won three elections on the trot with outright majorities while ruling by fear. That's impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bambi wrote: »
    Ole Vic has won three elections on the trot with outright majorities while ruling by fear. That's impressive.

Impressive at elections but in the end it wont work well. Its not just LGBT people targeted with their hatred.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do you think children should be taught about astralgender or not?

Do you actually think they will be actively taught about astralgender (I've never heard of this and again, bet most haven't, including teachers)
    You're picking tiny , tiny cases of something to try prove a point.

They don't learn about the minute details of any of the subjects they already learn.

You're being disingenuous with this because you know full well they won't be sitting down with a teacher going in depth about every tiny aspect of gender studies or anything even close. They'll get a very broad outline of sex education as they already do and an acknowledgement that some people self identify in different ways.

If a kid brings it up themselves then it means they have heard about it independently and are thinking about it themselves so a teacher is not going to have any more info for them other than to most likely repeat that "other people self identify as different things and that's ok"

School is hard enough for children. For God's sake,

Exactly. So pretending what they are (whatever section of lgbtq that happens to be) is wrong or doesn't exist is making it worse. Letting straight kids continue to think there's something wrong with the lgbtq kids and bully them is making things worse.

Plenty of Polish and eastern people are proud of their culture and feel strong about it.

Calling hating other people a "culture" doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Annasopra wrote: »
    Impressive at elections but in the end it wont work well. Its not just LGBT people targeted with their hatred.

Hatred. Grrr. Angry Hungarians

When you look at the place Western Europe wound up, with kids being fed puberty blockers and women being told that the definition of "woman" is now "human" Hungarians are probably thinking "nip this in the bud".

They've probably thrown the baby out with the bathwater but time will tell.

• Advertisement

Calling hating other people a "culture" doesn't make it right.

Thats the thing. I dont believe this hatred of LGBT people and indeed refugees and migrants could realistically be called Eastern European Culture.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

When you look at the place Western Europe wound up, with kids being fed puberty blockers and women being told that the definition of "woman" is now "human" Hungarians are probably thinking "nip this in the bud".

Yes

Thats what this is. Hatred. It is suggesting that LGBT people are child abusers. It is criminalising discussion that LGBT people exist. This is hatred and persecution. Its worse than Thatchers shameful section 28. We saw that shameful law eventually go into the dustbins of history.

Terry Pratchet

:rolleyes:
    How many kids do you know on puberty blockers, even one? How many women do you know describe themselves as human rather than woman? And who has told women to think that, any actual authority or are you claiming some hardline lgbt twitter group apparently rule the roost now. You're hysterical beyond belief. 'Look where Western Europe ended up', where? Seems like a great part of the world to live in for the most part, and attracting people from all over the world still as place to live. I wonder if there's more immigrants coming into Western Europe from HUngary, or vice versa? Or are most of us planning an exodus to HUngary now because all these recent changes are just so enticing and great.
    Yeh, what Hungary did won't lead to anything good, or any positive change for anyone, it'll only serve to isolate gay people, which is exactly why the bill was proposed, not to help children, it's pretty ****ing transparent.

Actually in fairness, it's not just fear. There are also classics like gerrymandering and bribery - huge grants and bonuses to promote "traditional families" (for example - this is great, popular vote winner and shaming couples who are 'non traditional' whatever the f that is).

It's not all shutting down the free press and arresting your enemies!

bb1234567 wrote: »
    . You're hysterical beyond belief. 'Look where Western Europe ended up', where? Seems like a great part of the world to live in for the most part, and attracting people from all over the world still as place to live. I wonder if there's more immigrants coming into Western Europe from HUngary, or vice versa?

Exactly. Covid aside, as far as I can tell anyone who can leave Hungary for good, are.. even to the 'draconian' west of Europe that certain quarters would have you believe.

Exactly. Covid aside, as far as I can tell anyone who can leave Hungary for good, are.. even to the 'draconian' west of Europe that certain quarters would have you believe.

Yep, sure it's all women, gays and muslims running the show over here. Who wants that, it's all become just a bit too equal for my liking. 'Live and let live' they say so long as those groups keep quiet and have absolutely no say in the political discourse. Then they're 'fine' with their existence ie. can forget about their issues so it doesn't impact their life in any way

Yes

Thats what this is. Hatred. It is suggesting that LGBT people are child abusers. It is criminalising discussion that LGBT people exist. This is hatred and persecution. Its worse than Thatchers shameful section 28. We saw that shameful law eventually go into the dustbins of history.

It's that and more. When you look into it it's written in quite an ambiguous way... So if anyone writes about anything gay related (such as the reporting of the infamous Jozsef Szajer - look him up if you don't know him!) then expect to be charged.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12020/12328124/stephen-kenny-republic-of-ireland-boss-brands-hungary-fans-who-booed-his-players-taking-a-knee-as-incomprehensible
    Wow who could have guessed that this homophobia disguised as child welfare was not a single issue that existed in a vaccuum but just a symptom of growing levels of of intolerance of minorities in wider Hungarian society .Biiiiiiiig shocker . I'm sure Hungary is going great places, and will be a much more cohesive and peaceful society in years to come !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Hungary is aware of how far things have gone in other countries, they are drawing a line to prevent things from getting out of hand.
    I'm expecting other European countries to adopt a similar approach in the next few years.
    A good way to avoid countries form become extremely anti-LGBT would be for LGBT to have a more tolerant approach towards non-LGBT

Same thing goes with all this gender stuff too...

I will be slated for saying there are only 2 genders or sexes...but that's what the science says...

If you produce sperm you are male, if you wanna wear a dress and makeup, drive on and do what makes you happy, but it doesn't make you a female

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12020/12328124/stephen-kenny-republic-of-ireland-boss-brands-hungary-fans-who-booed-his-players-taking-a-knee-as-incomprehensible
    Wow who could have guessed that this homophobia disguised as child welfare was not a single issue that existed in a vaccuum but just a symptom of growing levels of of intolerance of minorities in wider Hungarian society .Biiiiiiiig shocker . I'm sure Hungary is going great places, and will be a much more cohesive and peaceful society in years to come !

Thats the thing. Hungarians will lose out. Budapest is an amazing city but if it id going to continue down this line of of being racist and homophobic then visitors wont want to go there and Hungarians will start to leave in their droves. The current government is simply on a trajectory of hate against all minorities. Its pretty disgusting.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I will be slated for saying there are only 2 genders or sexes...but that's what the science says...

I don't think you will be slated, but your assertions aren't necessarily based in science. Not when it comes to mixing gender and sex, but that's a while different thread I guess.

Thats the thing. Hungarians will lose out. Budapest is an amazing city but if it id going to continue down this line of of being racist and homophobic then visitors wont want to go there and Hungarians will start to leave in their droves. The current government is simply on a trajectory of hate against all minorities. Its pretty disgusting.

A lot of young Hungarians already have left.

I don't think you will be slated, but your assertions aren't necessarily based in science. Not when it comes to mixing gender and sex, but that's a while different thread I guess.

Nope. Very definitely not based in science

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/stop-using-phony-science-to-justify-transphobia/

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

and in threads like this, you see the disturbing opinions of boards.ie , that in this case , seem to be in the majority.
    Bear in mind , this is based near dublin castle, near garda hq, masonic attitude to anything outside their blinkered smallminded view of life.
    Its depressing for sure .
    Very macho , so insecure in their maleness they have to shut down and attack anything that frightens them, ie LGBQT and women.
    fully expecting to get expelled :)

gussieg wrote: »
    and in threads like this, you see the disturbing opinions of boards.ie , that in this case , seem to be in the majority.
    Bear in mind , this is based near dublin castle, near garda hq, masonic attitude to anything outside their blinkered smallminded view of life.
    Its depressing for sure .
    Very macho , so insecure in their maleness they have to shut down and attack anything that frightens them, ie LGBQT and women.
    fully expecting to get expelled :)

Agreed. It is very disturbing to see some people on this site more or less support the law. It is really a hate charter against LGBT people and yes unfortunately some on here are ok with that.

Terry Pratchet

Agreed. It is very disturbing to see some people on this site more or less support the law. It is really a hate charter against LGBT people and yes unfortunately some on here are ok with that.

I think what's even worse than the support is the slimey underhanded insinuations that it is the behaviour of LGBT which led to this happening and that gay people are directly responsible for being treated so poorly because of that. Gaslighting on top of discrimination

I think what's even worse than the support is the slimey underhanded insinuations that it is the behaviour of LGBT which led to this happening and that gay people are directly responsible for being treated so poorly because of that. Gaslighting on top of discrimination

I know right. The attitude of some is "well they didnt behave themselves so they deserve this". Agreed. Disgusting attitude.

Terry Pratchet

Im not racist against Eastern Europe. I have Hungarian LGBT friends who are terrified of these hatemongering laws bring introduced.

I'm not racist but...

Yes completely. The toilets arguments and The prison arguments were pretty much 1980s homophobia. And we have Self ID here in Ireland now 6 years and there are pretty much no issues. No toilet attacks. No prison attacks. The trans women in Prisons are not an issue either because they have been segregated. All of the screaming and shouting against trans rights is rehashed homophobia and we have proved here in Ireland its pretty much hysterical nonsense.

Why have they been segregated?

• Advertisement

Hhhhh wrote: »
    Why have they been segregated?

Probably need to ask the prison service

Advertisement