Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 7 : French GP (Paul Ricard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Ah he is more than just OK. He has been taking midfield teams onto podiums for nearly a decade. Yeah he isn't at the max/lewis level but he is still a top driver. And he has made a great start with the RB team showing great race pace including a win already. He was more than just a speed bump in Baku ultimately forcing Lewis into a mistake ensuring Max kept the title lead.

This idea that his race pace has been "great",isn't true. It's been mixed if you look at it without rose tinted glasses. Some good (Baku) some very poor. Finished the guts of a minute behind max in 2 races this year and over a second in another. Baku was a stronger race but the win was pure fluke that (no dispute that he earned third fair and square, but the win relied on the other 2 faster cars crashing/spinning out).

Max is a top driver and he's almost half a second off that in quali. Even if he was as fast as Max (nobody would say he is) he's half a second off in quali. I think ability to qualify is actually a pretty important part of evaluating a driver and it seems like a pretty weak part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Top Dog wrote: »
    Jesus wept :rolleyes:

Carried Force India for years
    Already won a race for RedBull
    Closest anyone in that team has been to Max since Riccardo
    Known to be better in races than qualifying
    Currently 3rd in the drivers championship

Yeah, he's only OK :rolleyes:
    Carried Force India? He was closely matched by both Hulkenberg and a young Ocon. He's had a handful of great races, also a few stinkers, but mostly just OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

Checo is a really good driver, Max is a phenomenal driver. Signaling him out when he’s half a second behind the most talented driver on the grid in his 8th race in the RB car is a little unfair.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all for him to win out against Bottas and split the Mercedes tomorrow. I hope he does, would make for some fascinating tactical calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Carried Force India? He was closely matched by both Hulkenberg and a young Ocon. He's had a handful of great races, also a few stinkers, but mostly just OK.
    I could be mistaken, but didn't he have 5 of the teams total 6 podiums as Force India, while also having the one and only win for Racing Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Top Dog wrote: »
    I could be mistaken, but didn't he have 5 of the teams total 6 podiums as Force India, while also having the one and only win for Racing Point?

Yes. As I said he's had some great races, but overall, week in week out, his performance against unspectacular team mates hasn't been anything to write home about. Then he had stroll as his team mate, and beat him well, as you'd expect, even picking up a win in the very competitive pink Mercedes.

I'm not saying he's a bad driver, clearly he's not. But nor is he any better than average. Apart from Lewis and Max, there are quite a few drivers on the grid capable of either matching or beating him over a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Max's pole lap, so smooth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5-tSxKIcE&ab_channel=FORMULA1
    Yes. As I said he's had some great races, but overall, week in week out, his performance against unspectacular team mates hasn't been anything to write home about. Then he had stroll as his team mate, and beat him well, as you'd expect, even picking up a win in the very competitive pink Mercedes.

I'm not saying he's a bad driver, clearly he's not. But nor is he any better than average. Apart from Lewis and Max, there are quite a few drivers on the grid capable of either matching or beating him over a season.

3rd in the drivers championship is no better than average? Do you know how many drivers there are in the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

It's raining it's pouring, the old lady's snoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭DaTown

And some, I assume, are good racing drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How do people still fall for that shtick in every damn F1 thread.

Perez is exactly what Red Bull have been desperate to get for years.

I doubt Horner is crying over a intra-team time deficit when his drivers are 1st and 3rd with the team itself 1st.

Harika wrote: »
    It's raining it's pouring, the old lady's snoring.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1406548194067091460

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There’s a yellow thunderstorms warning in the area which will still be in place in time for the start of the race.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Max's pole lap, so smooth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5-tSxKIcE&ab_channel=FORMULA1

3rd in the drivers championship is no better than average? Do you know how many drivers there are in the championship?

Ah. That's so basic, you're ignoring the difference between cars. He's beating Bottas and that's good. He's miles off Max's pace and max is the benchmark.

I think he's meeting expectations but the expectations aren't to be a top tier driver. He just needs to be able to stay within a pitstop window of Hamilton after the first round of pitstops. That's not a mark of a great driver.

He's average enough (and very likeable) which some people mistake for being very good. He's not very good. Average-above average. Not top tier, not in the second tier of drivers like Norris either. Towards the top of the average drivers on the grid - which is nothing to sneeze at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Ah. That's so basic, you're ignoring the difference between cars. He's beating Bottas and that's good. He's miles off Max's pace and max is the benchmark.

I think he's meeting expectations but the expectations aren't to be a top tier driver. He just needs to be able to stay within a pitstop window of Hamilton after the first round of pitstops. That's not a mark of a great driver.

He's average enough (and very likeable) which some peopepistake for being very good. He's not very good. Average-above average. Not top tier, not in the second tier of drivers like Norris either. Towards the top of the average drivers on the grid - which is nothing to sneeze at.

Jesus what a steaming pile of nonsense for a Sunday morning. Top 10 in the championship for the last 7 seasons but yeah one qualifying result and you called it, he's average average

Faugheen wrote: »
    There’s a yellow thunderstorms warning in the area which will still be in place in time for the start of the race.

F3 race is so wet, that if the rain stops now, intermediate start. Even if dried, kerbs will be wet and treacherous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Checo was brought in to be a two number driver and cause the mercs some problems which Albon and Gasly couldn't do

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Harika wrote: »
    F3 race is so wet, that if the rain stops now, intermediate start. Even if dried, kerbs will be wet and treacherous

Track is bone dry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He's average enough (and very likeable) which some peopepistake for being very good. He's not very good. Average-above average. Not top tier, not in the second tier of drivers like Norris either. Towards the top of the average drivers on the grid - which is nothing to sneeze at.

2 race wins
    Multiple podiums with midfield teams

Average?

Get a grip of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

No gearbox change needed for Schumacher after his qualy shunt but Tsunoda unsurprisingly does need a new one, he'll start from pitlane

skipper_G wrote: »
    Jesus what a steaming pile of nonsense for a Sunday morning. Top 10 in the championship for the last 7 seasons but yeah one qualifying result and you called it, he's average average

One qualifying result... that kinda sums it up. I haven't said he's average because of this qualifying result. I said he is miles off max pace yesterday and he's Average-above average based on his overall career. Then some posters said he did a great job yesterday (he didn't, he's half a second off his teammate). Then the conversation changed to be about his overall performance.

He's a good no.2 driver.

pjohnson wrote: »
    How do people still fall for that shtick in every damn F1 thread.

Perez is exactly what Red Bull have been desperate to get for years.

I doubt Horner is crying over a intra-team time deficit when his drivers are 1st and 3rd with the team itself 1st.

Of course he's not crying bout a half second deficit this race. Half a second back from Max is good enough for 4th this weekend. The last 2 RB lads were half a second off Max and they started much further back because RB wasn't as good. You follow the sport, you know this stuff.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    2 race wins
    Multiple podiums with midfield teams

Average?

Get a grip of yourself

He's OK. Average-above average. Not top tier or in the next batch of drivers like Noris. Do you think he's as good as noris? Noris hasn't won any races...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sainz with a big lock up and a flat spotted rear in the drive up to the grid, yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Nice to see Brundle back on the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

So now they've trimmed down the brake magic button too much for Lewis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

If the F3 race is anything to go by this could be a cracker. Hopefully we might see some weather too could be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Those Ferraris look so much better without the green MW ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I can see rain specks on a camera

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I can see rain specks on a camera

Would love some rain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rainy looking ATM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The french national anthem is one of the better anthems up there with the Italian one.

Advertisement