Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petition to upgrade and Invest in the Limerick – Nenagh – Ballybrophy Railway Line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why would I sign it? Its just waffle with no hard statistics or surveys to back it up.
    Can you prove demand with verifable feedback or should I just assume you are making it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why would I sign it? Its just waffle with no hard statistics or surveys to back it up.
    Can you prove demand with verifable feedback or should I just assume you are making it up?

you aren't going to get all of that stuff with a petition.
    generally people sign a petition because they agree with what the petition is looking for, with everything else coming later.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Genuniely would appreciate if you could point out the waffle within the campaign letter? Constructive criticism would be helpful.

The content can be edited to make changes where required. It was a conscientious effort to make the letter as watertight as possible.

The objectives of the campaign are very modest:

Reviewing current speed limits

An additional middle of the day service

And a manager for the line responsible for marketing and upgrades to the line.

Feel free not to sign it obviously but I think its a reasonable campaign and I stand over it 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Pointless! Nearly half a million signed the WoT petition and 0000000.5% of them ever used a train on it. These e-petitions are feel good black holes of nonsense ignored by the PTB.

Pointless! Nearly half a million signed the WoT petition and 0000000.5% of them ever used a train on it. These e-petitions are feel good black holes of nonsense ignored by the PTB.

Ah sure its up now we may stay going for a while and see where it leads. It has advertised the line to over 400 people two days before the service returns to the line on Monday.

So its achieved that anyway. Maybe that was the point.

It highlights to the public that €23 million of taxpayers money was spent on the line in the last year and it had no impact on speed limits or journey times.

To me thats a positive thing.

And it steps out in good detail the fairly low level requests supporters of the line are looking for.

It might not help but Id rather try and fail than not try at all.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    It highlights to the public that €23 million of taxpayers money was spent on the line in the last year and it had no impact on speed limits or journey times.

Your statement means little if the money spent was not targeted at reducing journey times

As you appear to have this info, can you elaborate on the purpose of the spend or provide links to the relevant press releases or news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

More trains and upgrades where they are needed.... Dublin!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Its a disgrace Joe!

d51984 wrote: »

Agreed... Just not exclusively to Dublin. The entire rail netwotk needs investment and better management.

As I am sure you read in our campaign letter it is the latter we are campaigning for.

A review of speed restrictions on the line

Introduction of a middle of the day service

And a district manager for the line charged with upgrading and marketing the line.

DaCor wrote: »
    Your statement means little if the money spent was not targeted at reducing journey times

As you appear to have this info, can you elaborate on the purpose of the spend or provide links to the relevant press releases or news reports.

The investment was specifically targetted at removing the old jointed track and relaying it with the modern standard Continuous Welded Rail. 80% of the track is now CWR.

For years we were told by Irish Rail the reason the speed restrictions of 40km/h were in place was due to track condition.

Now the track has been 80% relayed and all of a sudden the problem is the number of crossings on the line.

The number of crossings are comparable to other lines but for some reason the Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy line is being treated differently.

All we are asking is for the infrastructure manager to carry out an up to date speed review on the line.

The majority of this line is straight as an arrow with excellent sightlines and now a modern cwr track. There are sections where a speed limit of 40km/h is unnecessarily prohibitive and should be increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

no line can be really successful unless it has the potential to support a hourly minimum frequency. A lot of people won't use a service that doesn't run when they want it. , three trains a day (or whatever it is) limits the number of users because you are limited in your options if you are delayed and miss your train. It's an awful lot of infrastructure to facilitate a few dozens of people's journey to work and back

Isambard wrote: »
    no line can be really successful unless it has the potential to support a hourly minimum frequency. A lot of people won't use a service that doesn't run when they want it. , three trains a day (or whatever it is) limits the number of users because you are limited in your options if you are delayed and miss your train. It's an awful lot of infrastructure to facilitate a few dozens of people's journey to work and back

Thousands of people travel to Limerick City from North Tipperary every week. The train as it stands is no use to commuters, no use to students and no use to casual users.

We are literally asking for it to be managed better. Would people prefer to leave it as it currently is.

I know loads of people want it closed decades ago, but it is not going to be closed any time soon. They just spent €23 million relaying the track.

Why not maximise the benefits of that investment? That is all our campaign is proposing.

Reviewing current speed restrictions.

An additional train in the middle of the day.

And a district manager responsible for the lines marketing and potential future upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

All we are asking is for the infrastructure manager to carry out an up to date speed review on the line.

We are literally asking for it to be managed better.

Why not maximise the benefits of that investment? That is all our campaign is proposing.

Reviewing current speed restrictions.

An additional train in the middle of the day.

And a district manager responsible for the lines marketing and potential future upgrades.

so what are you actually wanting. just the first or the latter or some of it or all the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Signed. Well done, keep up the good work! The line definitely needs investment, much like the Lmk Waterford line.

so what are you actually wanting. just the first or the latter or some of it or all the things.

The 3 objectives of the campaign are clearly listed in the petition letter.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/upgrade-and-invest-in-the-limerick-nenagh-ballybrophy-railway-line?source=twitter-share-button&utm_medium=myuplift&utm_source=twitter&share=793e2dea-1e56-4ab2-8e14-b2443ec0d8b8

Signed. Well done, keep up the good work! The line definitely needs investment, much like the Lmk Waterford line.

Thanks for the support. Agree the Limerick - Waterford line also needs support.

Is the site back. Test?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hi Deedsie, We are back up but there is still a few tweaks going on at the moment. There will be an update from Boards shortly I'm sure.

Just to give an update, we are up to 950 signatures now. It would be great to get 1000. Way beyond my initial target. If anyone would like to sign or share it would be really appreciated.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/upgrade-and-invest-in-the-limerick-nenagh-ballybrophy-railway-line?source=twitter-share-button&utm_medium=myuplift&utm_source=twitter&share=793e2dea-1e56-4ab2-8e14-b2443ec0d8b8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be happy if I never saw Ballybrophy Station again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement