Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW approved used

• 17-06-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Looking around at cars currently, I’ve noticed that BMW approved used cars are priced higher than similar cars from other dealers.

Has anyone any experience buying BMW approved used? Does there tend to be much haggle room and does the approved used add much value?

There seems to be about a 10% premium on the car I’d like but they have the colour and spec I want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

bigmac3 wrote: »
    Looking around at cars currently, I’ve noticed that BMW approved used cars are priced higher than similar cars from other dealers.

Has anyone any experience buying BMW approved used? Does there tend to be much haggle room and does the approved used add much value?

There seems to be about a 10% premium on the car I’d like but they have the colour and spec I want.

Higher than prices from non bmw dealers? They will be of course. What you're paying for there is a combination of paying their overheads and also peace of mind that they'll sort any problems and have checked the car over and prepared it properly, they'll stand over it basically. They have reputation to uphold and standards for bmw corporation to adhere to. Same as with other franchised dealers have.

Other non franchise used car dealers don't have this...up to you if you want to pay it or not, worth it for some people not for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dayseldan85

BMW approved comes with a two year warranty where as an independent will offer 3months to 1 year warranty

Especially beneficial if the car is outside manufactures warranty (3 years from when 1st registered)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will always pay a premium for a car from a main dealer no matter what the brand. A BMW used approved car costs more because the warranty is longer/more comprehensive than your typical independent dealer warranty but the cost of that warranty is absorbed into the higher asking prices. It's a 2 year warranty that covers the majority of parts and labour on the car which can be invaluable on BMWs as they advance in years. It really boils down to how much extra that warranty is worth to you versus an independent dealer/3rd party warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Water2626262

Just wait till you see what price they give your trade in lol.

I’d go for it if I was a cash buyer maybe but the trade in prices bmw offer is a joke. I got offered 3k and 5k less on my Trade in by the two Dublin bmw garages (vs what I eventually got). Did feel risky without the 2 year warranty but I’ve had a minor service in a bmw garage since and there is nothing wrong with the car I bought. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Thanks for the replies. I will not be trading in it’ll be a straight sale with no finance. Not taking the finance probably works against me on haggling as they won’t get the finance deal.

Car is advertised at €32500, other similar examples are in and around 28000, but not from BMW dealers.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I will not be trading in it’ll be a straight sale with no finance. Not taking the finance probably works against me on haggling as they won’t get the finance deal.

Car is advertised at €32500, other similar examples are in and around 28000, but not from BMW dealers.

I suppose you have to weigh it up. Some independent dealers might give up to six months warranty. Others might give one year via the likes of mapfre (which wouldn’t necessarily be bumper bumper like bmw).

If it’s relatively new the chances of a big failure might be minimal and is it worth the 4.5k premium you will pay for it? God forbid you get hit with a 2k bill in year 2 you are still up money.

I was in the same position and couldn’t justify the premium (and poor trade in).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

I just bought. The BMW approved used cars will have a full BMW service history, you get 2 years(on most) full BMW warranty. That would include replacement car if anything breaks. A full BMW valet and you should* in long term if you keep up the BMW service history trade in back in at a better price

Now the car I wanted was not available from BMW and they had zero timelines on when one would come in. I missed the one I should have bought by procrastinating.

Ended up sourcing out of one of the garages BMW have which they trade in vehicles they wouldn't sell. So was sold by BMW dealer to the previous owner etc. So it didn't have a full BMW service history but had a full history so BMW wont sell direct.

But you notice the difference, first the valet is no where near what you get from BMW. Like in BMW you feel like the car is new, others just dont do it the same. Plus they didn't fix some marks on alloys and a body mark. That would be all cleared up.

Now its nothing huge, I am going to buy a proper professional valet. It did cost less and it is kind of from BMW

I would not buy off any of the other dealers to be honest. With that type of money why would you risk it. My car was still fully services, software updated etc by BMW dealer before it was passed down, new BMW matts put in etc. I got a 12 month warranty. Not as good as the BMW one mind you

I wouldn't be worrying to much about a valet off anyone trying to sell you a car. You'd want to be going to a professional detailer for that. OP nearly €5k is a huge mark up in terms of the warranty. I'd be checking common issues and faults and see what they cost to fix independently. You might save that money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

ineedeuro wrote: »

But you notice the difference, first the valet is no where near what you get from BMW. Like in BMW you feel like the car is new, others just dont do it the same.

Now its nothing huge, I am going to buy a proper professional valet. It did cost less and it is kind of from BMW

I bought a 2 year old car from BMW approved used a few years ago - from Franke Keane Blackrock.

The "valet" was utter nonsense, was obviously not a detail and even not a valet.

I had a good experience and would certainly do it again. But i detail my car myself and have used professional detailers and when i got my car from BMW I'd say all they literally did was hoover it, sprayed water on the car and lashed on some cheap tyre dressing.

I bought a 2 year old car from BMW approved used a few years ago - from Franke Keane Blackrock.

The "valet" was utter nonsense, was obviously not a detail and even not a valet.

I had a good experience and would certainly do it again. But i detail my car myself and have used professional detailers and when i got my car from BMW I'd say all they literally did was hoover it, sprayed water on the car and lashed on some cheap tyre dressing.

Greasey dressings on the interior to make every thing shine. A week later you see all the scratches and scuffs it was hiding

• Advertisement

When I got a minor service in BMW garage recently they left a nice scratch in the centre console. Was fairly small and was in a rush so wasn’t arsed complaining. Wouldn’t rate them hugely for “premium care” after that. Seemed to be sloppy enough. Also Don’t understand why they have to fully adjust all your mirrors as well as the seat to just back it into a service bay.

When I got a minor service in BMW garage recently they left a nice scratch in the centre console. Was fairly small and was in a rush so wasn’t arsed complaining. Wouldn’t rate them hugely for “premium care” after that. Seemed to be sloppy enough. Also Don’t understand why they have to fully adjust all your mirrors as well as the seat to just back it into a service bay.

Fully agree and a lot of people I've spoken to agree the same. I can personally speak from dealing with Mercedes garages that they're the same. Great when your spending the money and ****e when you need something after.

I had my sat nav system replaced in a BMW dealer recently at a cost of €2,500 and whilst they did it the scratched the inside center console trim.

I made them replace it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

I just bought. The BMW approved used cars will have a full BMW service history, you get 2 years(on most) full BMW warranty. That would include replacement car if anything breaks. A full BMW valet and you should* in long term if you keep up the BMW service history trade in back in at a better price

Now the car I wanted was not available from BMW and they had zero timelines on when one would come in. I missed the one I should have bought by procrastinating.

Ended up sourcing out of one of the garages BMW have which they trade in vehicles they wouldn't sell. So was sold by BMW dealer to the previous owner etc. So it didn't have a full BMW service history but had a full history so BMW wont sell direct.

But you notice the difference, first the valet is no where near what you get from BMW. Like in BMW you feel like the car is new, others just dont do it the same. Plus they didn't fix some marks on alloys and a body mark. That would be all cleared up.

I would not buy off any of the other dealers to be honest. With that type of money why would you risk it. My car was still fully services, software updated etc by BMW dealer before it was passed down, new BMW matts put in etc. I got a 12 month warranty. Not as good as the BMW one mind you

How did you both get on with the price they had the cars listed and the price you payed? Was there any movement?

How did you both get on with the price they had the cars listed and the price you payed? Was there any movement?

Yes I bought mine about 8 years ago. Things might be different now due to BREXIT supply/price issues they may be less inclined to negotiate. Mine was a UK import with good spec.

It was a 2 year old F10 and listed for €38k. I had no trade in so got €1.5k off and paid €36.5k and got them to throw in:

- 2 sets of OEM mats, think value was about €300
    - car cleaning bag/kit

So i was happy enough with that at the time.

The bag was all BMW branded sonax car washing stuff, so I used that stuff on my wifes car and bought proper detailing products for the beemer :D

Ha ha ha class bit at the end.

Yes I bought mine about 8 years ago. Things might be different now due to BREXIT supply/price issues they may be less inclined to negotiate. Mine was a UK import with good spec.

It was a 2 year old F10 and listed for €38k. I had no trade in so got €1.5k off and paid €36.5k and got them to throw in:

- 2 sets of OEM mats, think value was about €300
    - car cleaning bag/kit

So i was happy enough with that at the time.

The bag was all BMW branded sonax car washing stuff, so I used that stuff on my wifes car and bought proper detailing products for the beemer :D

Sorry as off topic but what was the proper stuff you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I have found the total opposite the BMW valet was utter rubbish and they left a nasty scratch on the rear quarter of the car after a stone was dragged across the paintwork when they "washed it". They were made to rectify it and i got a new G30 xdrive for a week.

I have also found that the main BMW dealers cant event get the basics right these days. BMW seem to be focusing on volume and not on quality of product or service.

Posted a few of the details here (of my brake pads growing back according to BMW):

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114444857&postcount=68

Also I have found over torqued sump nuts/wheel bolts and airbox assemblies not a secured properly on a car which had a full BMW service history when I service it myself (when out of warranty period).

I have found the total opposite the BMW valet was utter rubbish and they left a nasty scratch on the rear quarter of the car after a stone was dragged across the paintwork when they "washed it". They were made to rectify it and i got a new G30 xdrive for a week.

I have also found that the main BMW dealers cant event get the basics right these days. BMW seem to be focusing on volume and not on quality of product or service.

Posted a few of the details here (of my brake pads growing back according to BMW):

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114444857&postcount=68

Also I have found over torqued sump nuts/wheel bolts and airbox assemblies not a secured properly on a car which had a full BMW service history when I service it myself (when out of warranty period).

Not surprised at all.

Sorry as off topic but what was the proper stuff you bought?

Stuff you need to buy online - dry me crazy wash mitt and towel , bilt hamper auto wheel, wheel woolies, bilt hamper clay bay, scholl s10 polish, das6 pro polisher, car pro inside and reload - that type of stuff. De iron and de tar products etc.

Amateur Detailer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The BMW approved warranty is excellent and provides total peace of mind. My car needed thousands of euro repairs in the first year, and there was never any issue with BMW taking care of it.

You could buy independently, get lucky and have nothing required in the first 2 years. But when BMW's go wrong it can add up quickly.

As you have pointed out you are paying a premium for the BMW warranty and it's up to you to decide whether it's worthwhile.

My 1 series needed a new engine after a timing chain failure. Lucky it was approved used otherwise I'd have to fork out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I just bought independently and put my own BMW warranty on the car, the top warranty for one year cost around €550 and has a €335 excess. It is a 181 530e which was just out of warranty in April, great piece of mind.

digiman wrote: »
    I just bought independently and put my own BMW warranty on the car, the top warranty for one year cost around €550 and has a €335 excess. It is a 181 530e which was just out of warranty in April, great piece of mind.

Via BMW themselves you mean on the websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not BMW themselves, it's a product sold by the Allianz Group that is authorised by BMW Ireland so their dealer network will honour it once the warranty claim meets their criteria. The most comprehensive policy is pretty much very similar to what BMW dealers will give on their Approved Used Car except it's a 12 month policy instead of 24 from a main dealer and has an excess on it.

You can get more info here: https://www.bmw-warranty.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Hedgehog

I've bought BMW approved twice. Excellent cars, with new tyres fitted before I collected them, two years warranty and two years comprehensive breakdown cover. They even fitted some additional spotlights I wanted for free.

Would recommend it. Frank Keane are good.

Would recommend it. Frank Keane are good.

Good for selling cars perhaps, but awful servicing department. Had serious serious issues with both branches over the years.

I wouldn't let them service my 3 year old's bike, let alone a car.

Advertisement