Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

first bike recommendation

• 18-06-2021 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

It will mainly be used for commuting in Dublin, weekend riding and maybe a triathlon next year.

what would you recommend? road bike? gravel bike? is there a minimum tyre clearance I should look for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ya gotsta show us yer money.

All too often such threads / requests finish up with a naïvely unrealistic and game-ending "... and I'd like to spend max 175 euro"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, a triathlon bike and a bike suitable for commuting can be different beasts. that's not to say you can't enter a triathlon on a normal road bike.

if you're using it for commuting, your best bet is a road bike with clearance for mudguards, maybe a pannier rack etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Similar to you and I purchased a Gravel Bike - https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/urban/vector/cat/vector-drop - It's perfect for what you want to do. Not the lightest or fastest bike but wider tyres mean less punctures which when commuting will help. You're not going to win a triathlon on it but I'm cycling 80-100K in it at the moment no problem. If I had my time back again then I'd probably spring for something with a 105 groupset - will really help going up hills but what I have is perfectly fine to be honest.

If winning is your aim then it's a whole different conversation. And price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

davegilly wrote: »
    Similar to you and I purchased a Gravel Bike - https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/urban/vector/cat/vector-drop - .

That's a lovely looking bike. And I didn't realise Tiagra had gone hydraulic. Where did you pick that up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Don't spend less than €500 is a good starting point as you'll only get junk that will cause you heartache.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ya gotsta show us yer money.

All too often such threads / requests finish up with a naïvely unrealistic and game-ending "... and I'd like to spend max 175 euro"

On the b2w scheme so budget is €1,250

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

davegilly wrote: »
    Similar to you and I purchased a Gravel Bike - https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/urban/vector/cat/vector-drop - It's perfect for what you want to do. Not the lightest or fastest bike but wider tyres mean less punctures which when commuting will help. You're not going to win a triathlon on it but I'm cycling 80-100K in it at the moment no problem. If I had my time back again then I'd probably spring for something with a 105 groupset - will really help going up hills but what I have is perfectly fine to be honest.

If winning is your aim then it's a whole different conversation. And price point.

Don't think the 105 will help you get up hills any better. That bike has a 34 cog at the back.

Knowing what gear to be in will get you up quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

bigmc23 wrote: »
    It will mainly be used for commuting in Dublin, weekend riding and maybe a triathlon next year.

what would you recommend? road bike? gravel bike? is there a minimum tyre clearance I should look for?

There's no need for a gravel bike or minimum tyre clearance if you're not going off road or on bumpy fire roads / tracks and trails

(unless you need specific tyre clearance for mud guards and stuff - I don't know about that)

Otherwise I actually think a cheap bike is grand. You have €1,250 budget which is good. I wouldn't actually be worried about getting 105, I have three different group sets across 3 different bikes and they're all grand. A good groupset is really a luxury.

So I'd just determine if you want to go off road or not and then ride a few bikes and buy the one you feel most comfortable on. I assume if you don't get 105 the saving you make will go into other parts of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

That's a lovely looking bike. And I didn't realise Tiagra had gone hydraulic. Where did you pick that up?

Rothar in Phibsborough

• Advertisement

cheers to the replies all, now just the small matter of finding a shop with stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd focus on the commuting/ weekend spins tbh. Starting Triathlon you're not going to compete on even the bike leg on any road bike imo (on most courses anyway).

If I was buying one bike to rule them all at the moment, I'd also say a gravel bike. Most have clearance for decent width tyres, plus mounting points for rack and mudguards.
    And I didn't realise Tiagra had gone hydraulic.
    Last year I think, when they upgraded all the hydraulic hoods too. My 2020 Topstone AL came with hydraulic Tiagra anyway and can't really fault it. I only changed out the crankset to GRX for the gearing from the FSA it came with so I could fit a hollowtech 2 power meter I already had!

Advertisement