Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Christmas Podcast

• 07-01-2020 9:01am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I've done a thing!

I've gotten around to recording the trailer for my very own Christmas Podcast!! And spent hours finding jingle music and SFXs for it too :pac: And I need your guys help!!

The Podcast I want to discuss all things unique to an Irish Christmas. I'm gonna keep things simple and to try and keep the pressure off myself I will be looking to publish one episode a month.

I'm thinking format wise it'd be like something like,

1) Introduction
    2) Out of Season News
    3) Main Topic
    4) Q&A's, E-Mails & Comments, Feedback

What I need help with is;

1) What to Name the Podcast, (I want to keep boards.ie name out of it incase this goes epically wrong, I don't want boards associated with this sh :P )
    2) Artwork for the podcast ( might need to get the name sorted first :P ),
    3) Main Topic Ideas, I've 6 already, so ideally at least 6 more.
    4) Input from ye! The app I'm using to record is called Anchor and that allows anyone to send me a voice message that I can use in the cast. I'm looking for volunteers to send me a voice message of their favorite Christmas memory. This can be kept complete anonymous as you can hide your personal details on the app.

The anchor app also allows more than one person to record live at a time, hint hint, so if anyone wants to come on board I'd love to have a co-host or co-hosts.... but no problem I can understand how daunting it is... as you'll hear soon enough yourself :P

Also the offer to come on board as a guest contributor or host is open at anytime.

This podcast isn't just for me I want it to be for all of us so the more input the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That's great Loughc I will put my thinking hat on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

kitten_k wrote: »
    That's great Loughc I will put my thinking hat on

Same, will have a think and come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

An Irish Christmas Podcast would be a good enough name for it

Loughc wrote: »
    What I need help with is;

1) What to Name the Podcast, (I want to keep boards.ie name out of it incase this goes epically wrong, I don't want boards associated with this sh :P )
    2) Artwork for the podcast ( might need to get the name sorted first :P ),
    3) Main Topic Ideas, I've 6 already, so ideally at least 6 more.
    4) Input from ye! The app I'm using to record is called Anchor and that allows anyone to send me a voice message that I can use in the cast. I'm looking for volunteers to send me a voice message of their favorite Christmas memory. This can be kept complete anonymous as you can hide your personal details on the app.

Finally got a bit of time last night so had a think about this.

Firstly; fair play for deciding to do this.

1- A few name suggestions;
    -Jingle all the way
    -Die Hard Christmas
    -All things Nollag
    -Christmas Fanatics

2- Not very good at art I'm afraid so definitely no help here!

3- Three suggestions;

A- A tips sections- pick a different subject each time, Christmas on a budget, decorating tree/house, Christmas cooking etc.

B- Ideas for Rudolph Day- things to do, games to play, clothes to wear etc

C- A debate section (obviously easier with a co-host!)- pick a subject and each debates one side........Is Christmas Shoes the worst Christmas song ever? Is Die Hard really a Christmas movie? etc

4- I have a face for radio and a voice for the shower however happy to make a recording for you to use. Maybe you can find a Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones filter you can apply to it :D

You could take inspiration from our chat thread and call it Pass The Mince Pies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

kitten_k wrote: »
    You could take inspiration from our chat thread and call it Pass The Mince Pies :D

I vote for this! Brilliant!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    I vote for this! Brilliant!

But I hate mince pies :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Great idea! Can I suggest publishing it every Rudolph day 25th of the month (if that doesn't put huge pressure on you for Jan of course)

Assume Posy named the thread so :D
    Still, there is a nice link to the forum here with it as a title & no direct reference to Boards either.... nudge, nudge
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

No problem - you can pass them to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Assume Posy named the thread so :D
    Guilty as charged. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"S'no(w) time like Christmas"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Oh man I love this idea.

How bout calling it 'don't let the bells end' .......a christmas podcast to keep the bells ringing all year round...

A few good topics below

> How to stay in shape for 2020 and beyond and how to deal with the christmas indulgence (a good topic for Nov,Dec and Jan maybe) I am a qualified PT so would be more then happy to help out where possible with any questions etc.
    > The Christmas Shopper: A discussion about all things shopping from early bargains to what the big toy of 2020 is going to be etc
    > Serious Debate topics like has Christmas become too commercial, Should you go to mass if you celebrate Christmas etc.
    > Best Of Christmas: Each week rank the top 5 of something christmas, 1 week top movies then maybe top songs, top toys growing up etc.
    > Review section: where you could review something christmasey each week, so say review a toy or a decoration and other could contribute here too.

Excellent idea I for one will be tuning in

:-)

Im guessing this didnt go ahead??

Anyone listen to other christmas podcasts??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Jeez totally forgot about this

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Im guessing this didnt go ahead??

Anyone listen to other christmas podcasts??

I actually recorded about 4-5 episodes to date I just haven’t gotten round to editing and uploading to the usual spots

I listen to Tis the Podcast, Merry Britmas, Can’t wait
    For Christmas and the total Christmas podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭touts

Probably a year too late but for the name how about

A whole lot of things for Christmas.

Then the opening sig tune would be the old music from "Penny's, got a whole lot of things for Christmas, got a lot for the family"

Or

Crisps taste better from a Box

I actually recorded about 4-5 episodes to date I just haven’t gotten round to editing and uploading to the usual spots

Hopefully soon :-)

I listen to the MyMerryChristmas podcasts :-)

Will we see this launched this year??

• Advertisement

Have been enjoying the Christmas FM podcasts

https://christmasfm.com/christmas-fm-the-podcast/

Will we see this launched this year??

I strongly suspect with everything loughc has going on this is waaaaay down the list of priorities.... & come December he'll barely have the time to log in here never mind create a podcast... :D

I strongly suspect with everything loughc has going on this is waaaaay down the list of priorities.... & come December he'll barely have the time to log in here never mind create a podcast... :D

Exactly my friend. Haha.

I actually recorded 3 episodes and had planned a cross over episode with Merry Britmas who’s a great guy and gave me lots of help and support.

But to be honest I haven’t gotten the time to edit any of the 3 I’ve recorded and the first one in particular was a rough as a bears arse.

With Mrs Loughc being out of action I’m left walking 2 doggos and most of the housework leaving very little downtime. Hopefully it’s something I can get back to later on down the line as it was a good hobby.

Enjoy this 'relaxed' phase mate... as trust me come December this is what this will feel like in comparison... ;o)

Enjoy this 'relaxed' phase mate... as trust me come December this is what this will feel like in comparison... ;o)

Calm before the storm (a great storm though :D)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Calm before the storm (a great storm though :D)

Absolutely!

BTW, great to hear you've actually started into recording loughc, I look forward to hearing them at some stage in the future when time allows.

Not expecting them anytime soon mind :D

Advertisement