Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbour Parking

Options
  • 19-06-2021 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I live in a housing estate which has a busy road running thru it, my next door neighbours house owns four cars and two of them are constantly parked on the public roadway outside my driveway at either side of my entrance gate, these block my view of traffic on the road as I enter or leave my driveway. While I accept that nobody has the right to exclusively park outside their driveway on the public road, I feel that these cars are obstructing my view and are a danger, I have brought this up with my neighbour but to no satisfaction, I feel they should have considered where they were going to park four cars before they bought them, any advice please? There are no road markings and the neighbour is a difficult person to deal with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

I can't, sometimes the cars are parked there for days on end, anyway I don't want to play tit for tat and add to the problem which they are causing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Simple answer. If you have a driveway and have space for your cars use it . If you don't and have run out of space then park where you are legally allowed to .

Based on your description these folks have maxed out their driveways space. With all due respect OP with the advent of people having to live at home with their parents to save for housing this issue is common and actually ok . You don't own the road as you've stated. So realistic answer is take your time out of the garden and be safe. But be conscious other people need to park their transport too

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭CRI0ST0IR

As long as they are not blocking you into your house, or across your driveway/house they aren't doing anything wrong. My view would be either to try and reason with them, or just do what they are doing and park out on the road too... if you can't beat them, join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Can you afford to buy a suv? High seat position see over cars.

Agreed but my issue is that of road safety which you don't really address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Nothing you can do really. I had a similar situation, just had to get out of car and take a good look then jump in quickly and inch out.
    To be honest it's not your neighbor's fault for parking on a public road, if it helps you could park on the road outside too.

I presume you reverse in. Never understood people who drive straight in on busy roads, then reverse out blind onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Are there electricity or telephone cables overhead?

Feed the birds near your gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Simple question, are they parked legally?

Stanford wrote: »
    Agreed but my issue is that of road safety which you don't really address

Maybe get one of those weird looking mirror things? and stick it across from your driveway to see cars coming?

niallb wrote: »
    Are there electricity or telephone cables overhead?

Feed the birds near your gate.

Nasty!!!

• Advertisement

Having a good reverse camera makes it safer to reverse out rather than stick the front of car blind onto road and expect everyone to obey you.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Simple question, are they parked legally?

From his statement, I believe they are which is why he has the problem of not being able to do anything about it to an extent.

CRI0ST0IR wrote: »
    As long as they are not blocking you into your house, or across your driveway/house they aren't doing anything wrong. My view would be either to try and reason with them, or just do what they are doing and park out on the road too... if you can't beat them, join them.

I always assumed it was illegal to park against the flow of traffic?

Fils wrote: »
    Having a good reverse camera makes it safer to reverse out rather than stick the front of car blind onto road and expect everyone to obey you.

No one gives way in 2021 so never expect that.

Not true, a reverse camera only shows the road behind, the traffic comes from left and right

Not true, a reverse camera only shows the road behind, the traffic comes from left and right

Incorrect, a good camera will give left and right view. Perhaps in your car you have poor camera.

Incorrect, a good camera will give left and right view. Perhaps in your car you have poor camera.

Perhaps but I have never seen a camera on a car which shows 180 degrees

Or just buy one of those reflectors/mirrors and stick it across from the driveway entrances to see oncoming traffic.

Perhaps but I have never seen a camera on a car which shows 180 degrees

Do you drive a Dacia perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Simplest solution to this is to get a motorbike and then join the motorbike sub forum.

Win win

• Advertisement

I've mentioned this to the neighbour and by his attitude he couldn't care less so I'll check with the local Gardai and take their advice, I've been more than reasonable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭dublin49

no empathy from your neighbour but thats not a crime.Your post suggests because their legal parking is causing you a safety issue that somehow over rules the normal legal scenario re public parking,in my view it doesnt and you just gotta be careful .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Very little you can do unless they are parked illegally. Had the same problem at one stage in a house I was renting with neighbours leaving cars all over the place and sometimes visitors to their house even parking across our driveway. Had to knock on the door and ask them to move on several occasions

The 1997 Regulations, parking is prohibited :

-- in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

-- in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If you’re willing to spend a few quid to solve your issue then how about buying a cheap banger and as soon as either of the two cars either side of your drive moves then park the cheapo there but don’t forget to give yourself enough room to drive out safely eh!!

Also, think how satisfying it will be to beat your neighbour at his own game, it’s a win win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Approach the local council to request double-yellows outside your house because the road is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

Na it's being a decent neighbour, w****r next door parks his Mercedes van outside my house obstructing my view completely coming out of my drive, he's an tosser no point in trying to talk to him, funny thing is I wouldn't dream of doing what he's doing ! Plenty room to park his van about 50 meters from his door but the lazy c*** couldn't be bothered to walk ! Played tit for tat, he didn't like it funny thing he thought I shouldn't be parking outside my own house ! 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Photos might help understand the situation.
    frag420 wrote: »
    If you’re willing to spend a few quid to solve your issue then how about buying a cheap banger and as soon as either of the two cars either side of your drive moves then park the cheapo there but don’t forget to give yourself enough room to drive out safely eh!!

Also, think how satisfying it will be to beat your neighbour at his own game, it’s a win win!!

Cheap banger will still need road tax, NCT and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

embraer170 wrote: »
    Photos might help understand the situation.

Cheap banger will still need road tax, NCT and insurance.

Surely just tax so long as you’re not driving it no!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

frag420 wrote: »
    Surely just tax so long as you’re not driving it no!?

Where is it going to be parked?

Advertisement